Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Coley looked decent on those highlights.

Bit of pace, quick feet and a good first touch will go a hell of a long way in this division. I can see him being a little frustrating at times as he made the wrong choice a couple of times yesterday but there was more than enough to suggest he’ll be a decent player.

With two part-time sides, Ayr and Queen of the South being in the league I'd really hope we weren't involved in a relegation battle. That entirely depends on our squad, whether it's big enough or has enough quality. My first instinct would be a definite no to the former and a probably not to the latter.

Improving on 7th would be a decent achievement but those feeling negative should be encouraged by the fact almost everyone in the division will be mince once again.

Seems like hibs fans were stuck outside and couldn't get food inside. We cant really afford to keep messing this up.
The ticketing system is rubbish and for some reason in the bigger stands the catering is too slow and runs out of stock.
We are throwing money away by not providing a decent service for the fans.
All over hibs.net and a couple of hibs fans I spoke to said the same thing. If you pay £15 for a friendly you would expect at the least to be able to get into the ground if you turn up at 14:45 and also be able to get served at half time in five mins or so.

Seems like hibs fans were stuck outside and couldn't get food inside. We cant really afford to keep messing this up.
The ticketing system is rubbish and for some reason in the bigger stands the catering is too slow and runs out of stock.
All over hibs.net and a couple of hibs fans I spoke to said the same thing. If you pay £15 for a friendly you would expect at the least to be able to get into the ground if you turn up at 14:45 and also be able to get served at half time in five mins or so.
Should've charged £20 and we'd have been able to afford laying on extra staff and concierge parking.

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The club are clearly cutting costs wherever possible, so none of this should come as a shock. A lot of people involved on a matchday are either low paid or volunteers, so it's never likely to be a Grade A service.

On a more serious note about pricing. Clubs should look at incentivising season tickets more in order to stabilise income. As well as early bird which gets money in early, they could do the following...

Season ticket add-ons e.g.

Bronze includes home lower league cup ties.
Silver home lower league cup games + home league cup games
Gold all home games including friendlies.

The pricing should reflect hat they'll turn out a bargain if we get a cup run (club will generate extra unbudgeted revenue if this happens anyway) and club also benefits if we don't get a run in a cup by getting cash up front.

The other thing that could have been done is giving friendlies free with season ticket. Again this incentivises to buy a season ticket and buy it earlier.

I would take a gamble on a "Gold" ticket on basis of extra revenue for club playing budget and greater possibility of a cup run as a result.

The other thing that needs looked at is "away" season tickets. This needs to be reciprocated by other clubs for it to work, but it's main benefit is providing stability to revenue by generating a known amount at start of season. How this is distributed to the clubs is obviously up for debate and liable to be the sticking point of such a move. When games are called off through bad weather and moved to midweek it means less of a hit in expected revenue.

Thinking about it, I should've generated a thread on its own for discussion.

19 hours ago, parsforlife said:

First aim needs to be security, we survived on the 2nd last day last season ffs and have gone through a lot of changes, nobody really know what to expect from this season. If we survive reasonably comfortably then that probably gives us some platform to build on for future seasons.

If things click early then we can make a run at the playoffs but the top 3 should be sewn up between the Dundee clubs and partick meaning only 1 shot to play for between ourselves queens and Morton and Inverness. Morton and queens are in a similar position with new management so the advantage probably goes to Inverness but they are our direct competitors IMO, As long as we are part of that group then things are ok, top that mini-league and it’s a good season, get dragged into a fight with alloa/arbroath/ayr(AAA) and it’s failure.

Would agree with this. Its so hard with so many new players to really predict where we will finish though. Could be a complete disaster but we cant rule out doing something special either

59 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Hibs had sold 1000 tickets on Thursday the actual away crowd was double that so I would imagine its pretty diffcult to scale up the staff so quickly? I think the club were caught a bit flat footed for the number of away fans on Saturday, there was no problem when Hearts came last season and brought pretty much doble the support. The hibs fans I was with rolled up 5 mins before the match and got into the ground just as the first goal was scored but they already had their tickets so the problem might have been arriving at the ground without getting tickets beforehand?

As for the catering I think thats down to Stephens and the club will take no more or less money, no matter how busy it is but also wont take the risk with the stock. I agree that its slow and really outdated to have to pay in cash which takes so much longer than card payments.

My biggest concern is our centre backs. Ash really need to get his finger out.  Think we will be a bigger threat going forward and more energetic.  I fully expect more goals in our games compared to the plethora of 1-0 games last year.

I think we will achieve safety but other than that who knows.

4 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Hibs had sold 1000 tickets on Thursday the actual away crowd was double that so I would imagine its pretty diffcult to scale up the staff so quickly? I think the club were caught a bit flat footed for the number of away fans on Saturday, there was no problem when Hearts came last season and brought pretty much doble the support. The hibs fans I was with rolled up 5 mins before the match and got into the ground just as the first goal was scored but they already had their tickets so the problem might have been arriving at the ground without getting tickets beforehand?

As for the catering I think thats down to Stephens and the club will take no more or less money, no matter how busy it is but also wont take the risk with the stock. I agree that its slow and really outdated to have to pay in cash which takes so much longer than card payments.

Turnstiles that are activated with a contactless card payment is the way ahead. 

1 minute ago, Chubbychops said:

Turnstiles that are activated with a contactless card payment is the way ahead. 

Do you think? I'm not so sure, how do families get in, great for single people who are willing to sit anywhere. Bad for families, matches that get abandoned and games where "all ticket" is required.

10 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Do you think? I'm not so sure, how do families get in, great for single people who are willing to sit anywhere. Bad for families, matches that get abandoned and games where "all ticket" is required.

Well you could have one turnstile that is contactless and that would reduce the queues at normal ones?

Never mind that very, very few of our games are all-ticket and I can't actually remember a match being abandoned at EEP.

9 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Could just take the folk out the portakabin and put them on the turnstile.  Maybe not contactless for bigger payments but still use card machines and  they issue a ticket. Still saves going to the cabin and then going through turnstile.

9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Well you could have one turnstile that is contactless and that would reduce the queues at normal ones?

Never mind that very, very few of our games are all-ticket and I can't actually remember a match being abandoned at EEP.

For away fans yes it porbably would, I'm not sure sure about home fans, I think it was very slick adding games to my season ticket to get into the ground for cup games  and play off games the season before last. 

Last game I was at that was cancelled was vs Raith Rovers which was befroe kick off but tickets still had to be retained.

5 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Could just take the folk out the portakabin and put them on the turnstile.  Maybe not contactless for bigger payments but still use card machines and  they issue a ticket. Still saves going to the cabin and then going through turnstile.

Thats true but then you have a problem with splitting up their floats and running low on change etc.

A contributing factor to the queues outside. When coaches full of supporters sit at pubs till the last minute and  all rock up at 2:50/2:55 and expect to be able to walk in is it really the clubs fault?  As for food surely we will advise Stephens of potential tickets sales by Friday so they can then estimate what to supply. Then it turns out to be a nice sunny day and a 1000 extra fans rock up it will then mean someone won’t get a pie, flip it and it’s pissing down and folk say nah not today and Stephens are left with a lot of surplus. 

Its alright to moan a little bit sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture. Its not always the clubs fault 

31 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Can anyone give information on recently signed jobber Brandon Luke?

He played 1 first team game for us, which was the diddy cup last year when we took the youth team to Inverness.

I *think* he's a midfielder and apparently his nickname is "Spook".

Edited by Poet of the Macabre