Walking Down The Halbeath Road

14 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think the best strategy would be to explain why you're feeling so positive about the new season, rather than simply dismissing those that have a different opinion. I'd honestly like to hear what people think because it might make me more optimistic.

I am excited for the new season but have low expectations. I'm curious about what the starting XI will be against Dundee for the first league match, interested who will be hailed as a hero after a couple of decent League Cup games and keen to see the new style/formation that Crawford has in mind for us.

Fair enough. 

I seen improvement when Craw first took over. He improved our team, and arrested our backward spiral with just a couple of signings added to another managers squad. Granted, the wheels came off a bit and the team started slipping back down again, but it turns out that there was disharmony within the squad contributing to that  

Craw appeared to have an eye for players that could greatly improve the team, and now he has been given the chance to build an entire team. 

My cup is more than half full right now and, my gut feeling is that we will do far better than many believe we will. I certainly don’t think we’ll win the league, but really don’t see us as bottom feeders.  

I’m as excited as the rest of you guys for the start of competition and itching to get up to Forfar for a first glimpse of our new team. 

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Chronic lack of players able to get to the byeline is biggest weakness on paper. Norwich loanee and I think Dow is able to play wide?

Still time to fix it though.

Dow has spent a lot of his time starting in wide positions, but he’s a drifter rather than a winger. 

This is an important point; I have absolutely no clue as to how we'll be setting up next season. I thought it was going to be one up top but we have Andy Ryan, Kevin Nisbet and they've given Gabby McGill the number 9 shirt. I know the latter doesn't guarantee you'll start every week but it would be odd decision otherwise.

Think that's the second time you've mentioned that - is this based on the training gear they've been wearing? Quite a kick in the teeth for Andy Ryan if it's true, having not had it when he first signed the being given the number 9 shirt last season.

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think that's the second time you've mentioned that - is this based on the training gear they've been wearing? Quite a kick in the teeth for Andy Ryan if it's true, having not had it when he first signed the being given the number 9 shirt last season.

Interview on dafc.co.uk 

Might mean fek all but Crawford knows much more about McGill than any of us.

Squad numbers available on the squad list on the official site. Ryan is now number 10. I believe this is his preferred squad number, but Louis Longridge got it ahead of him last season.

Not uncommon for strikers to like the number 10 shirt.

37 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

How would you compare him to say, Cardle? 

More passive than a winger like Cardle.  He has the ability to take someone on and leave his marker on the deck, but he doesn't have a big tendancy to dribble past players.  He's more inventive with his passing and trying to find free space to pull defenders out of position.  His off-the-ball movement is both his strength and weakness: when he has his confidence he can have a big influence in the way that he makes 2v1 situations against the opposition when he moves across the pitch, and he can get into the box late.  For the majority of his time at County he didn't have his confidence and would go through games unnoticed, often in the wrong place at the wrong time, to the extent that it looked like he was hiding on occasion.  I never saw any of Peterhead last season but I gather that it was a successful spell for him there and hopefully he can continue that momentum.

Edited by bunglebonce

On the flip side how many times have we been beaten or finished below average looking teams?
Livingston and ICT seem to get more out of guys like Rooney, Byrne and McKay. We do look very raw but if we can get fitter and are better organised than other sides we can push top half. We will be an unknown quantity for the first quarter and might surprise a few sides. 
Crawford has his team now and has to deliver, the fans need to have a little patience. Hopefully the league cup draw will benefit us as it’s good opposition to get confidence and we should be beating 3/4 teams.
I haven’t really studied many of the other sides but I can’t see many teams running away with it like last year.
Dundee, United, Partick top three and the rest is much the same apart from Arbroath and Alloa. I expect Ayr and ICT to do worse without Shankland and Polworth. 
I still think we will sign two or three before the season starts.
Fitter and better organised than the other teams....

Thats another 2 for the Hartley bingo. This is shaping up well....

43 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

More passive than a winger like Cardle.  He has the ability to take someone on and leave his marker on the deck, but he doesn't have a big tendancy to dribble past players.  He's more inventive with his passing and trying to find free space to pull defenders out of position.  His off-the-ball movement is both his strength and weakness: when he has his confidence he can have a big influence in the way that he makes 2v1 situations against the opposition when he moves across the pitch, and he can get into the box late.  For the majority of his time at County he didn't have his confidence and would go through games unnoticed, often in the wrong place at the wrong time, to the extent that it looked like he was hiding on occasion.  I never saw any of Peterhead last season but I gather that it was a successful spell for him there and hopefully he can continue that momentum.

That was brilliantly informative, cheers for that. 

43 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

😭😭😭😭😭😭😩😩😩😩😩😢😢😢😢🤢🤢🤢🤢😧😧😧

All these boys have declared their delight at joining a massive club. Last season went badly as we standards slip in this regard, with charlatans like Willo Flood declaring the reason for joining us was that it would only take him 25 minutes to get to training. On opening day they'll likely be playing in front of a crowd 10x that of Falkirk's opening day crowd up at Peterhead. 

All these boys have declared their delight at joining a massive club. Last season went badly as we standards slip in this regard, with charlatans like Willo Flood declaring the reason for joining us was that it would only take him 25 minutes to get to training. On opening day they'll likely be playing in front of a crowd 10x that of Falkirk's opening day crowd up at Peterhead. 
I really do enjoy a crowdwank.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I really do enjoy a daddywank.

Fixed that for you 😃

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Sounds a liitle like ryan wallace.

A very heavily Calderwood influenced management team. I think we'll see a bit of formation and line up change depending on the opposition and especially if things aren't going well during a match.

Can we ever see Crawford going 2-4-4????

Scully

Lang
Ashcroft

Comrie
Beadling
Turner
Dow

McGill
Ryan
Nisbit
Smith/McCann

44 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

A very heavily Calderwood influenced management team. I think we'll see a bit of formation and line up change depending on the opposition and especially if things aren't going well during a match.

Can we ever see Crawford going 2-4-4????

Scully

Lang
Ashcroft

Comrie
Beadling
Turner
Dow

McGill
Ryan
Nisbit
Smith/McCann

Struggling with the boredom until the season starts?