Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I think the signing philosophy just now is to go with mostly younger lads with a few older, experienced players.

To me he just doesn’t seem like the kind of experienced player you’d want for that kind of role. As someone mentioned earlier someone like Mark Kerr is exactly who you’d want. Paton will just point, shout at c***s and hoof the ball in which ever direction he can get his right foot to it at.

I'll post what I did a year ago when Falkirk signed Paul Paton. I imagine their fans might not be as quick to dismiss and bury their heads in the sand now, as they were during the euphoria of last summer and the excitement at the dross Hartley was assembling. From early responses, Pars fans won't be as naive. 
Pros: Never anything remotely close to less than 100% effort, decent guy to have if you are in the trenches.
Cons: Football isn't played in trenches.
It's hard to be too critical of a guy that tries as hard for you as Paton will but as a footballer, he's severely limited. He takes one-footed to a new level and certainly won't help build any sort of possession game. He can ping a decent pass over a longer distance though. He'll battle defensively but goes to ground too easily and when he picks up his inevitable booking becomes fairly ineffective.
He tries really hard though.
Searching for that post reminded me how much I couldn't take to Paton as an actual footballer.
Good luck. 

Aye fair play that is entirely spot on. Well I’d say you’re overplaying his long passing ability but he sure does like to give it a try.

Also fucking loves hitting the ball out for a throw straight from kick-off.

15 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Oaft, Nisbet looked every bit the guy that was at Ayr and Dumbarton in the playoffs.  Definitely a gamble. 

Absolutely get what you're saying. 

However it's hard to judge a guy of one game, where his team was set up quite defensively against a team that was quite frankly better. 

It is a gamble but then outwith the Dundee sides I don't think anyone has the finances to simply go out and buy a striker who's guaranteed goals at this level, as such picking up the highest scorer from the tier below is a solid gamble to take. 

If he gets over 10/12 then I'll be delighted tbh. 

Not sure about Paul Paton, extremely limited football player. We're now pretty full in centre mid, but unless I'm mistaken no one that can play out wide. 

15 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not sure about Paul Paton, extremely limited football player. We're now pretty full in centre mid, but unless I'm mistaken no one that can play out wide. 

I think one of the earlier signings (Comrie?) can play out wide but he's probably being signed primarily as a full back. Unless Crawford is setting us up for a 352/532 with wingbacks. We've got a few centre halves on the books now.

20 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely get what you're saying. 

However it's hard to judge a guy of one game, where his team was set up quite defensively against a team that was quite frankly better. 

It is a gamble but then outwith the Dundee sides I don't think anyone has the finances to simply go out and buy a striker who's guaranteed goals at this level, as such picking up the highest scorer from the tier below is a solid gamble to take. 

If he gets over 10/12 then I'll be delighted tbh. 

Given the number of center mids and lack of wingers the narrow midfield set up to battle first and foremost may well be the plan.

need to get the creativity in the side somewhere

Definitely need a couple of wide players. Would be extremely concerned if this area is not addressed as it was a large part of our lack of goals last season although the Craw has his work cut out finding the right players. 

Another two Joe Cardle's please! 

What the utter fuck are you lot playing at signing Paton?  He's fucking shite.  Probably the worst player I've ever seen at this level, and I include Brechin City players from 17/18 in that.

I’ve been looking at all of Dunfermline’s signings thinking, I wish falkirk had signed some of those players. I absolutely cannot believe Crawford has signed Paul Paton. I didn’t think he’d get another full time team.

30 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Paton to be used as experience and to guide younger players. Kerr can hardly move for Ayr yet he’s effective.

The difference there is Kerr is a miles better footballer than Paul Paton. In that he can find a pass and keep possession. Paton can't really do either,very limited and the fact is he's really slowing down, he was never the quickest, he will give 100% effort though.