Walking Down The Halbeath Road

That’s a pretty mental signing for you guys. Particularly if you’re going with a smaller/younger squad. He doesn’t really fit in with your other signings so far.

I think the signing philosophy just now is to go with mostly younger lads with a few older, experienced players.

You lot seem to be building an impressive squad, however thought that last season you, looked good on paper but turned out to be jobbers. Paul Paton has the potential to be a car crash banter signing though.

You lot seem to be building an impressive squad, however thought that last season you, looked good on paper but turned out to be jobbers. Paul Paton has the potential to be a car crash banter signing though.

Tbh our squad looked better on paper last season. We don’t really know what we’re getting with most of our signings so far.

I dunno I think Paton will do ok. He’s had a decent career at this level and above. He was seen as a bit of a banter signing with Falkirk last season but whenever I saw him play he looked fine.

I'll post what I did a year ago when Falkirk signed Paul Paton. I imagine their fans might not be as quick to dismiss and bury their heads in the sand now, as they were during the euphoria of last summer and the excitement at the dross Hartley was assembling. From early responses, Pars fans won't be as naive. 

Pros: Never anything remotely close to less than 100% effort, decent guy to have if you are in the trenches.

Cons: Football isn't played in trenches.

It's hard to be too critical of a guy that tries as hard for you as Paton will but as a footballer, he's severely limited. He takes one-footed to a new level and certainly won't help build any sort of possession game. He can ping a decent pass over a longer distance though. He'll battle defensively but goes to ground too easily and when he picks up his inevitable booking becomes fairly ineffective.

He tries really hard though.

Searching for that post reminded me how much I couldn't take to Paton as an actual footballer.

Good luck. 

9 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I've never seen a support get into such a state over such average players. Rovers fans treating this like Sol Campbell moving from Spurs to Arsenal.

The wee team have arguably never seemed wee-er than they did today.

Objection, your honour. We played a midfielder in goals because our CEO, who was on the board of the SPFL, didn't understand the SPFL rules. Peak banter years Rovers.

If he's being brought in to do a job in specific games he will do fine. Sure that was what he was initially brought in for with us but it turned out he was a much better football player than the rest of our signings and that is saying something. Seems to be a decent team that you lot are building for next season.

His leadership will hopefully benefit the youngsters around him. Something we seriously lacked last season. Think he’s a good player to have, but would imagine Beadling, Turner & Thomson (when fit) will be ahead of him in the pecking order for the majority of games.