Walking Down The Halbeath Road

How close is this to our best starting XI at the moment?

• Scully
  • Martin
  • Devine
  • Ashcroft
  • J Longridge
  • Bowman
  • Beadling
  • Turner
  • Dow
  • Smith
  • Ryan
Doubt Craw signed Comrie for the bench, I'd have him in ahead if Martin at RB. Think Bowman will be more of a reserve/bench player too. McGill has to get in before Smith considering we payed a fee for him and Smith is nowhere near good enough for the championship IMO. ATM I'd go:

Scully

Comrie

Ashy

Martin

Jacko

Dow

Turner

Beadling

Ryan

McGill

McCann

The way Stevie is talking about McGill,  I would be surpised if Smith came in ahead of him. 

Comrie will be first pick to start  initially but Martin will push him all the way and Bowman a further option now.  Also thinking we could maybe push Jackson Longridge into left midfield and Martin playing behind him. Think Jackson is a bit rash when defending.

Edited by Chubbychops

14 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Also thinking we could maybe push Jackson Longridge into left midfield and Martin playing behind him. Think Jackson is a bit rash when defending.

Not the worst idea I've ever heard. Always thought Williamson should have been tried in right midfield/wing, as he was always stronger going forward.

Not the worst idea I've ever heard. Always thought Williamson should have been tried in right midfield/wing, as he was always stronger going forward.

Can't remember which home game it was earlier this year but Williamson got brought on at right side of the midfield and he was hopeless.

A lot of full backs benefit offensively due to the extra space they have. Even the most offensively gifted fullback in world football make for good midfielders/wingers.

I wouldn't grumble too much with Ashcroft and Devine continuing as starting centre back pairing. I thought Danny Devine had several games where he looked very decent. Seems to be the generic target at the minute when really he's not that bad. Having a couple of young promising centre halves as back up to Ashcroft and Devine wouldn't be too bad, I don't think there is an  immediate need to replace either.

I wouldn't grumble too much with Ashcroft and Devine continuing as starting centre back pairing. I thought Danny Devine had several games where he looked very decent. Seems to be the generic target at the minute when really he's not that bad. Having a couple of young promising centre halves as back up to Ashcroft and Devine wouldn't be too bad, I don't think there is an  immediate need to replace either.

Devine is ok if our goal is to avoid relegation which might be our aim this season but in order to push for the top four you need a Morris level centre half alongside Ashcroft to stand a chance.

I listened to something recently where some scientist types from somewhere like Yale or Hardvard had been studying various top sports teams. The gist of it was that in some sports, eg basketball, a star player can carry a pretty shite team to glory. However, in "soccer", their studies showed that if you want to win stuff then you are only as good as the weakest player in the team. Why am I havering all this pish? I don't really know. It's maybe that the idea of kids plus a few experienced guys is a nice ideal and suits our budget and ethos but it's maybe Stevie's inexperience and wide-eyed enthusiasm showing through. Stevie Craw > Harvard etc IMO anyway. 

9 minutes ago, King_Kozma said:

Devine is ok if our goal is to avoid relegation which might be our aim this season but in order to push for the top four you need a Morris level centre half alongside Ashcroft to stand a chance.

I disagree totally with this. We conceded 40 goals all season. Only 6 more than the champions and the same as 2nd and 3rd place. 

The issues are scoring goals, not keeping them out.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

the number of goals weren't the main issue it was the nature of them, some bad mistakes and also very poor defending. A big part of it will have to do with confidence (or lack of) which leads to nervous defending. Devine gets a bad rep but Ashcroft was borderline worse last season and i'm a massive fan of Ashy

we scored the least amount of goals out of every team in the league and as above that was the issue, our top scorer was our left back!

Aye and he was still fucking gash. So many mistakes, general lack of awareness around him and poor distribution.

You want to score goals? Be confident in the guys at the back so the rest of the team can go forward instead of looking behind them.

confidence going forward does start at the back and being confident if they lose the ball attacking it will be recovered and recycled, Devine and Ashcroft as a pairing just doesn't work for me. It needs a commanding Morris type who i think was underestimated for the organisational  side of it

Devine is fine as a stand in but we need one of the experienced signings to be a CB to pair with Ashy