Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Craigen is a decent pro at this level, but far from good enough to get me concerned he’s leaving. I would have probably kept him as he’ll provide utility cover in our squad to an ok level, reliable enough to come and fill a hole but rarely a match winner, there’s a pile like him.

He’s very much a cally signing. Fits the mold of hardworking reasonably experienced at this level yet not spectacular.
I would say craigen can look back and say he achieved something.
He came in and steadied the ship in midfield. Scored an important free kick against ICT. Took all the set pieces. Next season took over and made his own the right back position from the championship right back of the year even though it wasn't his natural position. I guess it depends how you look at it. He is a stop gap but judging on how far we have fallen back might have been one to keep.
If we can get better than fair enough but hoping hes not another cardle.

Cheers. I'm not buying into it too much but he does fit the mould of our signings - works hard and can play in a few positions. Decent but not exceptional. Will see if anything happens there.

2 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

The most disappointing departure from the club since Shaun Byrne for me.

Shaun Byrne did next to nothing in a Pars shirt. Craigen has also done nothing of note apart from filling the gaps when there were injuries and being a consistent performer without being anything special.

We can get better with the wage he'd be on. 

35 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Shaun Byrne did next to nothing in a Pars shirt. Craigen has also done nothing of note apart from filling the gaps when there were injuries and being a consistent performer without being anything special.

We can get better with the wage he'd be on. 

What wage was he on?

1 minute ago, ShaggysBeard said:

What wage was he on?

I would never claim to know that, but you can assume it'd be decent, and there are better options out there than a squad player that can fill in for injuries. 

Byrne did alright with us, and in a couple of games was really good, but it would be totally rewriting history to claim he was a great player for us or was a loss at the time.

He's developed loads since leaving.

Edited by DA Baracus

I think Williamson could improve after leaving us, much like Byrne did.
Not sure he has the natural defending instinct needed unlike Byrne who had the skill but would fade out of games. Byrne just needed to develop physically and learn the game a bit.

22 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
26 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:
I think Williamson could improve after leaving us, much like Byrne did.

Not sure he has the natural defending instinct needed unlike Byrne who had the skill but would fade out of games. Byrne just needed to develop physically and learn the game a bit.

Do you not rate Williamson? Surprised to hear that tbh.

Byrne was an absolute ghost in about 90% of the games was us. 

His move to Livingston was pretty crucial in that he also operated in a different shape, playing as the deepest midfielder in a 3 man man central midfield was different from how we'd been asking him to play. Different players suit different shapes, Joe Thompson for example didn't suit that midfield, he operates much better as a conventional box to box midfielder in a two.  

If we'd kept Byrne he would never have developed into the player he is now and probably would be kicking about league 1/bottom championship, he done fantastically well to drop a level to get game time at a team that played a system that suited him, he deserves everything he gets from his career. 

Williamson could do well at Partick, from what I remember they play with wingbacks, if they have a pacier centre back and a midfielder who can come over and support that'd be the system that would suit him the best.