Walking Down The Halbeath Road

14 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Under contract we have Beadling, Thomson, Hippo, Ashcroft and Devine

Looking to offer a deal( by deduction)- Martin, Ryan, Craigen and Scully

Youth players around first team- Gill, Smith, Todd, McCann and Morrison

That gives us 14

Statement says we are looking to bring in a couple experienced players takes us to 16

So would imagine 5-6 guys coming in around early 20's over the summer. Still have enough experience to see us through as well. Maybe not a scary as it seems.

Injury prone injured shite off form shite

injury prone unproven a stop gap decent

unproven shite lightweight unproven unproven

We would need to sign Messi and Ronaldo ffs.

2 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Todd, McCann, Smith, Gill and Morrison I'd all expect to be in and around the first team next season .

Would be good to see Andy Todd, Austin McCann, Andy Smith and Stevie Morrison in the first team. Not sure who this Gill is though.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Well McNamara did it with a few at Partick and it worked out. Erskine came from there and Craigen came from a university side.

Erskine (first time round) and Doolan were both signed by McCall and scouted by Bobby Dinnie, both signed aged 22. It also took them about 3 seasons to get up to 2nd tier standard, Doolan went on loan to Clyde in his first full season and was hopeless (which is obviously funny because Clyde).  So not only is it a gamble to spot the ones with potential, you need to have time for them to develop.

When we were in the 3rd tier and skint around 2000 Lambie signed half a dozen guys from the juniors as Clyde had done well with it the season before, but every single one of them was gash even for that level and they were all gone by about September (no transfer windows back then)

McNamara organised a couple of games against Uni sides and James Craigen and Mark McGuigan were both signed from there.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Well McNamara did it with a few at Partick and it worked out. Erskine came from there and Craigen came from a university side.

Our promotion side 6 years ago was made up of lots of players like that.

Doolan and Erskine had been signed from the Juniors by Ian McCall. Christie Elliott was signed from Whitley Bay who were in f**k knows what tier of English football. Aaron Taylor-Sinclair came from Montrose and Aaron Muirhead from Annan. James Craigen from uni football, as you said.

In addition to that lot, we had numerous players released by clubs further up the league system (Stephen O'Donnell from Celtic, Steven Lawless from Motherwell, Conrad Balatoni from Hearts, Sean Welsh from Hibs) - who I suppose fit the "young, hungry and cheap" criteria.

That Thistle 12/13 team was created using pretty much exactly the model your board seem to be aiming for. But it's obviously a lot harder in reality than on paper, as I'm sure there will be plenty of other examples where this kind of idea has fallen on its arse.

Can we not just sign all the best players? Surely that would work.

Seriously the statement mentions investing in young players. Unless I'm misinterpreting it, we'll be bringing in younger players from the lower leagues

37 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Erskine (first time round) and Doolan were both signed by McCall and scouted by Bobby Dinnie, both signed aged 22. It also took them about 3 seasons to get up to 2nd tier standard, Doolan went on loan to Clyde in his first full season and was hopeless (which is obviously funny because Clyde).  So not only is it a gamble to spot the ones with potential, you need to have time for them to develop.

When we were in the 3rd tier and skint around 2000 Lambie signed half a dozen guys from the juniors as Clyde had done well with it the season before, but every single one of them was gash even for that level and they were all gone by about September (no transfer windows back then)

McNamara organised a couple of games against Uni sides and James Craigen and Mark McGuigan were both signed from there.

I remember a game where we won 3-2, think Doolan scored and played well, could see he had something about him. 

I would agree get them in early as possible so we don't have a massive gelling period in the season. I would expect St Mirren or Hamilton to see off United which will mean we get to see just how deep their owners pockets are. I agree that with their parachute payment Dundee and Patrick ought to be at the top end of the league, meaning once again we will be fighting it out with Inverness and Ayr for the final play off place. Morton look close to bankruptcy looking at their club statement so I wouldn't expect them or Queens to challenge next season. As for Arbroath and Alloa, I would imagine everyone will have them to finish bottom 2 but it's rarely that simple. I think Tidser would be a good player to bring in

We ain’t no where near close. Our Chairman has played a blinder getting shot of the dithering ineptitude. I write this having read your Chairman’s statement whilst looking dwn the league table. Hellloooooo🥳

10 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

https://www.gofundme.com/pampb-jobber-pot

Get signed up troops x

Yes please get motoring.

I should add a quick update £30 in all the donors will be put into a pot and 2 will be drawn to attend the sponsors event and a further draw will be made to keep the training shirt of the cult hero we have sponsored. As I said before if we don't make the £100 minimum then the cash will be given to good DAFC causes. Any questions PM me or if you would prefer to give cash I'll be at the Supporters council on Thursday just get someone to point me out.

Cheers,

Adam101.

Depends which way you want to look at it.
I see it as the club at least having a vision of the type of people we want to employ in future. No more Muirhead types and scatter gun approach to recruitment.
They are cutting their losses before it starts to become unmanageable. Makes perfect sense.    There are folk who will say enough is enough and will not pay 20 quid entry.  There are folk who will not buy a season ticket. So be it.  We can't keep pissing money on journeymen who don't care and spending money to keep floating fans happy.  If it means a few hundred fans cut loose then that's their choice. The club needs to find a sustainable platform. Over spending to keep a few disgruntled fans happy is false economy.  Most people understand our position and the stance the board are taking.
What is our position next season? Out of contention of the top four? I would say so.
Asking the fans to pay more for less seems like a sure fire way to keep spiralling downwards unless we can get some hidden gems of players somehow.
We are relying on McNamara which worries me as we don't even know what his exact role is.
The board decision to back AJ after last season has set us back to our league one finances yet they want more money and more investment. I think if we finish bottom four they need to walk away. I realise they are working for free but they have made a total mess of it last season.
Why not just keep AJ if we couldn't afford it? Crawford was worse.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

What is our position next season? Out of contention of the top four? I would say so.
Asking the fans to pay more for less seems like a sure fire way to keep spiralling downwards unless we can get some hidden gems of players somehow.
We are relying on McNamara which worries me as we don't even know what his exact role is.
The board decision to back AJ after last season has set us back to our league one finances yet they want more money and more investment. I think if we finish bottom four they need to walk away. I realise they are working for free but they have made a total mess of it last season.

On the ditch the board point, I don't think they would leave unless they had confidence in those replacing them and I don't see any pars fans with stacks of cash waiting to buy them out? Other than the elected members from the PST who could change etc.

I think Drew does a good job though

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

See this thing about the board walking away, who do you suggest replaces them?

There aren't dozens of competent people lining up outside the Main Stand willing to join the board free of charge for all that you receive in turn being constant scrutiny and stress.

The board consist of a group of hard-working businessmen with limited experience in running a full-time football club but they devote their free time into assisting the club only because they are supporters and have a genuine love for the club. They made a mistake in offering AJ a 2 year deal, I would've agreed a 1 year extension based on his continuous year-on-year improvement  and the finish to season 2017/2018 but then no doubt if he'd got us promoted then fans would have been annoyed that we hadn't tied him down on a longer deal - point is, you can't please everyone.

Crawford was a cheap option and yes there hasn't been an improvement as such since AJ left but I think giving SC the chance to mould his own team and recruit his own players is fair as there aren't many other alternatives out there and again, out of those alternatives, there is no guarantee that they'd bring automatic success.

Walk away like the last one did. I appreciate everything they are doing but that decision has set us back quite a bit. Perhaps we need to look for a major shareholder again. The fan run club only works if the fans turn up and his decisions and statements have turned fans away. The latest one will do the same.