Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 minutes ago, Cyril said:

The most negative, doom and gloom statement I have ever read, the timing is all wrong also. There isn't anything positive or uplifting to get supporters to buy a season ticket.

Think it was quite a smart move tbh.

Either a) It's 100% honest and fans will appreciate not having the wool pulled over the eyes

Or

b) They knew people had no reason to buy STs, so rally them around a cause while at the same time telling agents that we can't afford their players

We were miles off it this season and almost got relegated with a decent budget. I'd far rather have some enthusiastic young guys who are out of their depth at times than utter diddies like Connolly, Hippo  and Muirhead.

9 minutes ago, Cyril said:

The most negative, doom and gloom statement I have ever read, the timing is all wrong also. There isn't anything positive or uplifting to get supporters to buy a season ticket.

Depends which way you want to look at it.

I see it as the club at least having a vision of the type of people we want to employ in future. No more Muirhead types and scatter gun approach to recruitment.

They are cutting their losses before it starts to become unmanageable. Makes perfect sense.    There are folk who will say enough is enough and will not pay 20 quid entry.  There are folk who will not buy a season ticket. So be it.  We can't keep pissing money on journeymen who don't care and spending money to keep floating fans happy.  If it means a few hundred fans cut loose then that's their choice. The club needs to find a sustainable platform. Over spending to keep a few disgruntled fans happy is false economy.  Most people understand our position and the stance the board are taking.

Why aren't Morton, Queen of the South, Partick, Falkirk, Inverness, Alloa, Raith etc doing that? Before they did it, why didn't Livingston do it?

Why do you think we should always be challenging? The simple answer is that it's not an easy thing to do, unless you think it is and that clubs are actively not trying to do it? 

Also Ayr will be going out at the exact same time we did last year. So surely we DID challenge like Ayr? In fact we finished with more points last season, scoring more goals and conceding fewer, than Ayr did this season. Or does that not fit in to your nonsensical argument? Your beloved McCall has achieved no more than Johnston did.

Tbf McCall did it with an inferior squad on paper and with a lower budget than Johnson. So it’s more of an achievement but I agree with everything else in the post.

Has McDaid shagged your bird or something? That’s a few times you’ve had a dig at him. 

Nah just completely fed up with him.

A couple of months ago I probably would’ve kept him but now I wouldn’t be fussed if he left.

To think, we paid actual, real, literal money for Muirhead [emoji38]
While that was reported at the time, Ross McArthur said at a fans event that we didn't. Even paying him a token pound coin in travelling expenses is more than we should have though. I think we got about 20 minutes of decent play from him (v Morton? He hit the post and nearly scored another?).

I think the biggest travesty at this level of football is players agents demanding fees for their services, imagine having the brass neck to charge clubs an access fee to some of the jobbers we have had to put up with. Why any player at this level needs an agent is beyond me unless they have the potential to make really big money abroad.

17 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

So unless your crop of youngster get promotion.. whoever goes up will cherrypick which ever youngsters don’t suck, nae joy

Might be reading it wrong but apart from 2-3 guys in our youth team, I don't think there much else ready to challenge the first team. There's no ''crop'' on youngsters yet. The youthful approach will be achieved through signing guys 21/22 released from bigger clubs or guys the same age making a name for themselves at smaller clubs. I would imagine they will be signed on 2 year deals too if they are seen as investments for the future,  so anybody wanting to nab them will have to pay.  Sounds like a sustainable way to run a club if it works,  but could easily end up in relegation too if we get the recruitment wrong.

We should look at what Livingston did and sign players who have something to prove or are on the way up.

Part timers looking to go full time.

Juniors?

Premiership and Championship youth, like Beadling.

Ex cons. Gallagher. :lol:

It seems like this was all on the cards for a while. The setup is there with the three coaches and McNamara. Let’s hope it works.

As said would rather cheer on youth and unknown that the usual journeymen dogshit like Devine and such failures.

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

We should look at what Livingston did and sign players who have something to prove or are on the way up.

Part timers looking to go full time.

Juniors?

Premiership and Championship youth, like Beadling.

Ex cons. Gallagher. :lol:

It seems like this was all on the cards for a while. The setup is there with the three coaches and McNamara. Let’s hope it works.

As said would rather cheer on youth and unknown that the usual journeymen dogshit like Devine and such failures.

Albion Rovers tried this and it was an absolute disaster. That is not the route to go down whatsoever. 

8 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Albion Rovers tried this and it was an absolute disaster. That is not the route to go down whatsoever. 

Well McNamara did it with a few at Partick and it worked out. Erskine came from there and Craigen came from a university side.

It sounds like it's so simple to say "Do what Livingston did!".

For some reason clubs haven't done it. Lots of clubs. It's almost like it isn't that easy.

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It sounds like it's so simple to say "Do what Livingston did!".

For some reason clubs haven't done it. Lots of clubs. It's almost like it isn't that easy.

What seems to be your boggle?

Under contract we have Beadling, Thomson, Hippo, Ashcroft and Devine

Looking to offer a deal( by deduction)- Martin, Ryan, Craigen and Scully

Youth players around first team- Gill, Smith, Todd, McCann and Morrison

That gives us 14

Statement says we are looking to bring in a couple experienced players takes us to 16

So would imagine 5-6 guys coming in around early 20's over the summer. Still have enough experience to see us through as well. Maybe not a scary as it seems.