Walking Down The Halbeath Road

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 00:18, parsboi said:

You do have to wonder why Neilson has let him leave united despite his assist record.   I do think United will go up.  I think Aird is a massive play for contract cash kinda guy.  Only turns up to earn a deal.  And he’s a hideous wee wideo snake.  On his day he’s a good player though, but when not on point he’s a man down.

i am worried about our squad and performances.  Hearing some people think that Louis Longridge coming back is going to improve things really worries me.  AJ has signed awfully for us this season. It’s as if the cautious due diligence of previous signings he made just went out the window this season.  Hippolyte, Devine, Durnan, Connolly all have been so under expectation.   Robbie Muirhead.  Just wow.

Every player bar connolly had come from a club placed higher than us in the SPFL so I think you are way off saying that due diligence had been done, Muirhead is awful but I dont think anyone saw that coming? The tea has never been a solid unit changing almost everyweek with players out long term with injuries.

I dont know how AJ could have known that his sigingis were going to be poor when M'Voto a lower table Championship player is reaplaced with a top end established Championship player Durnan and a Morris who played in the top Championship - bottom Premiership was replaced by Devine who played more games in the season when Partick were top 6 than he did when they got relegated. AJ probably thought that like Morris Devine needed a change of scene and could come good with us.

56 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Some Rovers fans who's relative served in the navy is in tears most likely. 

I thought Muirhead would be a solid signing, however there was absolutely no doubt that Devine would be a shocking one, he doesn't need a change of scenary, he needs to drop down a division. 

6 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Every player bar connolly had come from a club placed higher than us in the SPFL so I think you are way off saying that due diligence had been done, Muirhead is awful but I dont think anyone saw that coming? The tea has never been a solid unit changing almost everyweek with players out long term with injuries.

I dont know how AJ could have known that his sigingis were going to be poor when M'Voto a lower table Championship player is reaplaced with a top end established Championship player Durnan and a Morris who played in the top Championship - bottom Premiership was replaced by Devine who played more games in the season when Partick were top 6 than he did when they got relegated. AJ probably thought that like Morris Devine needed a change of scene and could come good with us.

Patrick who won about two games at home and Devine who lost the playoffs on his own.

Due diligence.

6 hours ago, Adam101 said:

I presume you mean that due diligence “hadn’t” been done as the tone is disagreeing with me.

I genuinely think that he made mistake after mistake with signings this year.  He clearly tried to move the team to a 3-5-2 model, but did not have the right players to be able to convert back if it didn’t work.  Reality is where he had previously been very cautious on signings, tactics, formation (4-4-2), he stalled completely when it came to moving things forward and the due diligence just wasn’t conducted.    There’s much more to it than just “who did you play for?”.  Durnan and Devine came to us both with awful reputations from elsewhere just as an example.  

The injuries thing to me is an excuse.  Total excuse.  This is the largest squad we’ve had for a while, other clubs in this league operate much tighter and are getting much more out their squads.

My idea of a centre back pairing for next season, whether we go down or not, would be Thomas O'Brien and Sam Roscoe.

O'Brien came through the youth at Dunfermline but didn't make the grade. He's since went away and become a standout in the lower leagues. He's part of the Arbroath side that's running away with L1 title, scores a few goals a season and is now a good age at 27 to take his chance full-time.

Roscoe has done well at Alloa this year, on loan from Aberdeen. He's only 20 but think he'll have learned a lot this season and could be guided through by O'Brien, who would bring the experience to the partnership. I think he has a slight chance of getting into the first team set-up at Pittodrie, especially if McKenna leaves during the summer but if they want him to have another year away, I'd love us to get in the queue.

This is purely for fun - they may not be realistic choices or might have no interest in joining - but would be interested in hearing who other folk would like to see us bring into the squad.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Patrick who won about two games at home and Devine who lost the playoffs on his own.

Due diligence.

If players aren't allowed one bad season then I honestly don't know who we would be after at this level, M'voto also lost the play offs on his own and never looked that terrible. I'm actually thinking about games I've seen when I thought thats a howler from Devine I honestly can't place any more than anyone else. I think he gets a particularly hard time because we were warned that he was utterly useless when of course thats not the case we have the third best defence in the league.

2 hours ago, parsboi said:

I presume you mean that due diligence “hadn’t” been done as the tone is disagreeing with me.

I genuinely think that he made mistake after mistake with signings this year.  He clearly tried to move the team to a 3-5-2 model, but did not have the right players to be able to convert back if it didn’t work.  Reality is where he had previously been very cautious on signings, tactics, formation (4-4-2), he stalled completely when it came to moving things forward and the due diligence just wasn’t conducted.    There’s much more to it than just “who did you play for?”.  Durnan and Devine came to us both with awful reputations from elsewhere just as an example.  

The injuries thing to me is an excuse.  Total excuse.  This is the largest squad we’ve had for a while, other clubs in this league operate much tighter and are getting much more out their squads.

I did apologies for the typo.

I agree that I don't think he had enough CB's to play 3 at the back as there was no cover, earlier in the season I thought it might work but you're right he didn't have enough players to change back to a 4-4-2 in-fact we must have only played that 2 or 3 times this season. I would put this down to injuries as well, I know you say that its an excuse but I would say a valid one, any squad even Dundee United's huge squad would have been torn apart by having 8 operations on their players between August and December. Other teams might have smaller squads but also have had the luck with injuries and suspensions thats something I wouldn't like to risk, Imagine we had a squad of 18/20 instead of 24 we have spent the first half of the season with young players who have never played at this level on the bench or in the squad.

I don't think Durnan came with an awful reputation he is unremarkable which is to be expected anyone half decent goes up the way anyone who is terrible goes down, as he made a sideways move it suggests this is a level he is comfortable competing at. Loads of players have had poor seasons and gone on to find some form again look at Gav with us he was dreadful goes to St Mirren and gets a move down south. Devine was in a terrible team last year and was poor however being awful in the premiership is far easier than being excellent which him and his team were the year before. The fact is once you go on a poor run in the premiership you are doomed Thistle did that and down they went the year before they were excellent.

As others have said I'd love to see McCann play on Saturday, he looks a real talent for his age.

I did apologies for the typo.
I agree that I don't think he had enough CB's to play 3 at the back as there was no cover, earlier in the season I thought it might work but you're right he didn't have enough players to change back to a 4-4-2 in-fact we must have only played that 2 or 3 times this season. I would put this down to injuries as well, I know you say that its an excuse but I would say a valid one, any squad even Dundee United's huge squad would have been torn apart by having 8 operations on their players between August and December. Other teams might have smaller squads but also have had the luck with injuries and suspensions thats something I wouldn't like to risk, Imagine we had a squad of 18/20 instead of 24 we have spent the first half of the season with young players who have never played at this level on the bench or in the squad.

I don't think Durnan came with an awful reputation he is unremarkable which is to be expected anyone half decent goes up the way anyone who is terrible goes down, as he made a sideways move it suggests this is a level he is comfortable competing at. Loads of players have had poor seasons and gone on to find some form again look at Gav with us he was dreadful goes to St Mirren and gets a move down south. Devine was in a terrible team last year and was poor however being awful in the premiership is far easier than being excellent which him and his team were the year before. The fact is once you go on a poor run in the premiership you are doomed Thistle did that and down they went the year before they were excellent.

As others have said I'd love to see McCann play on Saturday, he looks a real talent for his age.
Devine was terrible at ict also.

My idea of a centre back pairing for next season, whether we go down or not, would be Thomas O'Brien and Sam Roscoe.
O'Brien came through the youth at Dunfermline but didn't make the grade. He's since went away and become a standout in the lower leagues. He's part of the Arbroath side that's running away with L1 title, scores a few goals a season and is now a good age at 27 to take his chance full-time.
Roscoe has done well at Alloa this year, on loan from Aberdeen. He's only 20 but think he'll have learned a lot this season and could be guided through by O'Brien, who would bring the experience to the partnership. I think he has a slight chance of getting into the first team set-up at Pittodrie, especially if McKenna leaves during the summer but if they want him to have another year away, I'd love us to get in the queue.
This is purely for fun - they may not be realistic choices or might have no interest in joining - but would be interested in hearing who other folk would like to see us bring into the squad.

Thomas O’Brien played in the Championship for 4 years so he’s not played exclusively in the lower leagues. Also I do know he has had at least two full time offers. One from a Premier league club and one a top end Championship club. Both were not enough to tempt him. He makes more part time added with his job outside football. I do agree he would be a good fit. He’s a good player.

Devine was in a terrible team last year and was poor however being awful in the premiership is far easier than being excellent which him and his team were the year before. The fact is once you go on a poor run in the premiership you are doomed Thistle did that and down they went the year before they were excellent.

Just to pick you up here, Devine was under no circumstances “excellent” the season before last. He was still well out of his depth , but carried by a team involving a few genuinely excellent defensive players (Liam Lindsay, Abdul Osman, Adam Barton - albeit the latter two fell apart completely thereafter).

I don’t know what Devine’s level is, but it’s certainly below the premiership, and from the sounds of most of your fans, it’s below the championship as well.

4 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Devine was terrible at ict also.

And has been fine here, if unremarkable

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Just to pick you up here, Devine was under no circumstances “excellent” the season before last. He was still well out of his depth , but carried by a team involving a few genuinely excellent defensive players (Liam Lindsay, Abdul Osman, Adam Barton - albeit the latter two fell apart completely thereafter).

I don’t know what Devine’s level is, but it’s certainly below the premiership, and from the sounds of most of your fans, it’s below the championship as well.

I find it difficult to belive someone who was well out of their depth was part of a defence that finished in the top six, however if you watched him everyweek then im sure you know.
Our fans might think he should be below the Championship but considering our defence has conceeded the least goals of any of the teams fighting to survive I'd be more than happy to have him here and even more so with a proper right back in to help the defence out. 

ETA Davidson looks like a quaility coach to bring in.

Edited by Adam101