Walking Down The Halbeath Road

19 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

As an aside, Saturday's defeat means we've won three out of our last 32 league matches, in which we've conceded the opening goal.

Out of those three, only one victory has been achieved in the last two years.

You'd be a riot on a night out

Ok, have lost the plot entirely and looked back to see how often we've started so badly at home.

In the past 20 seasons, I found two occasions in which we managed just three points from our opening seven home games. They were 2005/06 and 2011/12, both in the top flight and in both seasons the manager didn't see out the season (Leish + McIntyre)

In the last 20 seasons, we've never scored two goals or fewer in our opening seven home league games. I'm kinda intrigued to see how far back I'd need to go to find such profligacy.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Ok, have lost the plot entirely and looked back to see how often we've started so badly at home.

In the past 20 seasons, I found two occasions in which we managed just three points from our opening seven home games. They were 2005/06 and 2011/12, both in the top flight and in both seasons the manager didn't see out the season (Leish + McIntyre)

In the last 20 seasons, we've never scored two goals or fewer in our opening seven home league games. I'm kinda intrigued to see how far back I'd need to go to find such profligacy.

Assuming the (excellent) Pars Database is correct then the answer is almost certainly never, i.e. it's the worst goal scoring start at home ever.

I say 'almost certainly' because I can't find results for the following seasons;

1944/45

1943/44

1942/43

1941/42

1917/18

1916/17

1915/16

1920/21

Edited by DA Baracus

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Assuming the (excellent) Pars Database is correct then the answer is almost certainly never, i.e. it's the worst goal scoring start at home ever.

I say 'almost certainly' because I can't find results for the following seasons;

1944/45

1943/44

1942/43

1941/42

1917/18

1916/17

1915/16

1920/21

Surely there wouldn't be any records for these years at there was no league during the Second World War?

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Was probably one of the regional leagues they played at the time. If you look at the league history then those years are blank so I'm assuming any results would be unofficial.

Yup, they do indeed appear to be regional leagues (North Eastern, North and East and Southern B).

So if they aren't counting then it just leaves 4 possible seasons where we've made a worse home scoring start :lol:

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But hold on, they were all regional leagues as well, so surely the same applies?

In which case then this season definitely is the worst home scoring start we've made in our entire history.

Fucking hell

Have we ever had a worst points total at home at this stage outside of the top flight?

10 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Have we ever had a worst points total at home at this stage outside of the top flight?

82/83. After 9 games at home we only had 2 draws. Got a win on the 10th (2 points for a win then).

26 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

String the fucker up by the ears if found. Not been an issue at the club for years, and sure as hell can't be allowed to become one. Second half of that release is a disgrace, comparing the genuine displeasure with the board with unjustiable abuse of a player based on his skin colour. Just when you thing the Falkirk board can't get any worse. Well be back in January for Tidser though. X

Surely they're speaking out against abuse. You're allowed to think your team is shit without shouting at members of staff, as some "fans" clearly have been.

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

There is a time and place. Piggybacking it on the back of this is opportunism. The board are using the racist abuse of a player to try and silence fans from pointing out how utter w**k they've been for over a decade now. Now, the language may be a bit industrial, but how many clusterfucks do you get to oversee before it's acceptable to be told you're shit at your job and maybe you should f**k off. 

To be clear, there's many things to dislike this team, and especially the board for, but the colour of their skin is not, and never should be, one of them. 

I'd agree it was crass from the club but a lot of football fans think they should just be allowed to verbally abuse people as much as they want because they're at a football match.

I can understand Falkirk fans being annoyed but I have no idea why people need to make their criticism personal.

Back to Pars-related stuff and I see Joe Thomson is also singing from the "bad luck" hymn sheet about our lack of success this season. It's not bad luck when there's predictable play, poor finishing and static defending.

He thinks our goal at County was the only piece of "luck" we've had, clearly forgetting our only home win this season was thanks to a massive defensive blooper from Partick Thistle. 

On 11/26/2018 at 20:55, Poet of the Macabre said:

On 11/26/2018 at 21:06, DA Baracus said:

82/83. After 9 games at home we only had 2 draws. Got a win on the 10th (2 points for a win then).

Sorry, I've just double checked and have seen that I've made a mistake. 

The answer to your question is not 82/83 (as we got a win in the 4th game, which I somehow missed). The answer is no. We equaled it in 1946/47 (if you take 3 points for a win instead of 2).

Edited by DA Baracus

In terms of points accrued at home outside the top flight, this is the joint worst start the team has made in its entire history, tied with 1946/47 (assuming 3 points for a win). We’ve never had just 4 points (or equivalent for the times when it was just 2 points for a win, i.e. counting them as 3 points) from our first 7 home games when playing outside of the top league save for the start of the season 72 years ago.

If you count it the old way, i.e. 2 points for a win, then only 1946/47 is worse in terms of points gained at home after 7 games (we’d then go on to draw the next home game and win the rest, although it was a much reduced league) and only 26 games in total were played.

Why is this? Specifically? Shite strikers? Lack of chances?

I felt when our squad was assembled that it just wasn't... Right. Somehow. I felt there was a lack of explosiveness except for Fez, whom has been very poor. Too many average players at this level and not enough quality throughout.

The early 352 was fucking brutal to watch Tannadice aside, as was watching Hippo up front, but even since going 442 we've simply not been good enough.

We've got some good players. I think Thomson in particular has been underused. It's just not a good blend though.