Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Had a fairly awful day so I decided to distract myself/geek out by looking at AJ's record in the Championship a bit closer.

He's been in charge of the Pars for 87 games at this level, if we include last season's Premiership play-off quarter-final. His record in full: P 87  W  32 D 37 L 28 for a win percentage of 36.8%.

This season has seen us lose six matches out of our first 13. In comparison, we only lost 10 league games during the whole of last term (once again, this includes the play-off defeat at Tannadice) and are also already halfway towards the loss total of our first season up - despite having 23 games still to play.

One of the main complaints Pars fans have with AJ is that "he has no Plan B" when things go wrong in a match. To try and test this theory, I decided to look at our record under AJ when we go behind. The first figure is how many times we came back to win after conceding the first goal and the second figure is how many times we failed.

16/17: 2/16

17/18: 0/9

18/19: 1/6

Of course, you'd expect most teams to lose when they concede first but our record is particularly poor. In the 31 matches that we've conceded first, we've only come back to win three. One was the opening day of this season at Dundee United, while the other two were madcap 4-3 wins against Dumbarton and St Mirren in 2016, two sides who only avoided the relegation play-off that season on goal difference.

Long story short, we've won just one league game in over two years in which we've conceded first. 

I have no idea if these stats are of any use whatsoever but kept me busy for a bit.

Seems to me like it would be more than a tad harsh to sack AJ. There’s a fair bit of space between yourselves and 8th and you’re only 6 points off 4th, which was surely your pre season expectation? I’d have thought you’d be better off keeping AJ and using the money it would cost to sack him for a few players in January to mount a play off push.

1 win, 1 draw and 5 defeats in all home matches this season. He is a pish manager and his luck has ran out as the past few seasons we had utter guff like yourselves and Brechin to get easy points from that helped us squeeze a play-off place. This season he is being found out in an extremely competitive league and it will only get worse.

As the biggest club, along with Dundee United in this league, we expected to be challenging for promotion but even a play-off place is looking like a tall order.

First time I saw Martin I thought he was class. He'll never get a fair chance at EEP though because he doesn't run about like an arsehole.

I thought him, Joe Thomson and Higgy were the only ones to get pass marks on Saturday there.

One of my main gripes is with Myles Hippolyte. How he’s managing to get a career as a footballer is beyond me; the boy is absolutely pish.

Robbie Muirhead looked like he’d never heard of the sport when he came on.

I’ll also happily carry Andy Ryan back to Airdrie. Total murder.

Was speaking to my old man about the game last night, since he is a fifer. How did you lot end up releasing Wedderburn? Both of us agreed that you missed a player like him on Saturday. You've got a midfield of powderpuff shite at the minute, or at least that's how it looked on Saturday.

Also, that Andy Ryan miss btw. Gets better/worse (depending on your persuasion) every time I see it.

8 hours ago, DAFC. said:

I thought him, Joe Thomson and Higgy were the only ones to get pass marks on Saturday there.

One of my main gripes is with Myles Hippolyte. How he’s managing to get a career as a footballer is beyond me; 

Falkirk fans thread last year for this please.

We have plenty more too

Was speaking to my old man about the game last night, since he is a fifer. How did you lot end up releasing Wedderburn? Both of us agreed that you missed a player like him on Saturday. You've got a midfield of powderpuff shite at the minute, or at least that's how it looked on Saturday.
Also, that Andy Ryan miss btw. Gets better/worse (depending on your persuasion) every time I see it.
He's underrated and effective at shutting games down but when played with shiels he was dropping really deep. Again it's our manager not using him effectively.
I would have kept him tbh

3 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Both of you were wrong, hth. 

1 win, 1 draw and 5 defeats in all home matches this season. He is a pish manager and his luck has ran out as the past few seasons we had utter guff like yourselves and Brechin to get easy points from that helped us squeeze a play-off place. This season he is being found out in an extremely competitive league and it will only get worse.

As the biggest club, along with Dundee United in this league, we expected to be challenging for promotion but even a play-off place is looking like a tall order.

Dundee United are comfortably bigger than you. Partick, Falkirk and County also have more recently been much more successful. You’re where you are on merit. You’re probably, give or take, where you should be in the ‘natural order’.

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He's can hardly be classed as available if he's employed by a club just now. 

True, I was thinking "surely we could tempt him from East Fife" but we can't even afford to get rid of our current team it seems. 

43 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Dundee United are comfortably bigger than you. Partick, Falkirk and County also have more recently been much more successful. You’re where you are on merit. You’re probably, give or take, where you should be in the ‘natural order’.

:lol:

We've been utter shite for most of the last decade and we've *still* been in the top flight more recently than Falkirk.

United are comfortably bigger than us though, I'd agree with that.

Refreshing to see a wee team fan on our thread again though. I was worried most of our supporters had forgotten Raith Rovers existed.

Also, as much as I've criticised AJ over the past few days, can we please stop pretending he's "pish"? I'd totally accept he's not great but he's definitely done ok for the most part. You can want a manager removed without him being totally and completely useless.

It's a common problem in football; everyone and everything has to be either totally brilliant or utter shite.

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

Also, as much as I've criticised AJ over the past few days, can we please stop pretending he's "pish"? I'd totally accept he's not great but he's definitely done ok for the most part. You can want a manager removed without him being totally and completely useless.

It's a common problem in football; everyone and everything has to be either totally brilliant or utter shite.

Agree with this.

Also don't know why he's getting such personal abuse. 'Tosser', 'arsehole', 'clown', 'p***k', 'moron', 'scumbag', 'charlatan' are just a few of the insults I've seen directed towards the manager.

Why? It's not like he's deliberately not winning. He's done absolutely nothing to deserve that.

30 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

:lol:

We've been utter shite for most of the last decade and we've *still* been in the top flight more recently than Falkirk.

United are comfortably bigger than us though, I'd agree with that.

Refreshing to see a wee team fan on our thread again though. I was worried most of our supporters had forgotten Raith Rovers existed.

We,ll be on the same thread next season