Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Best midfield options we've had for ages. The manager is clearly not implementing the tactics and formations that suit the squad of players we have. On paper, I think we have a great squad and should be at lest challenging for a promotion play-off spot. 

34 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Best midfield options we've had for ages. The manager is clearly not implementing the tactics and formations that suit the squad of players we have. On paper, I think we have a great squad and should be at lest challenging for a promotion play-off spot. 

What formation isn't he implementing? He's played 3-5-2 and 4-4-2.

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Aye, after all there's only two formations isn't there? Absolutely only one way to set up in each formation aswell. 

We'll, to be fair, 352 is a 532 with a slightly different set up. A 4321 is a slightly different 4231 or 451.

Point still stands, if you've tried both of those, and played around with them, then you've tried at least 6 different formations and set ups.

So if it's not the formations and the players are OK..? 

I think we have the players just need to find the formation and tactics.

Still not sure why he went to 3-5-2 with the defenders available though? We had a winning formation, just replace Clark with Muirhead, Morris with Martin or Devine and Fais or Ryan for McManus. Higgy being out is a blow but with Hipolyte or Connolly we have a replacement.

We are making it difficult for ourselves for no reason. Like taking Craigen off corners and set pieces. It reeks of Muirhead is ma wee pal so he does it now. Ryan must be raging sitting on the bench watching a half fit guy mess up again and again.

It all comes down to AJ.

I think you're right they were our first signings and early on it did work. Like at Dundee twice.

IMO the best balance we had up the flanks was Martin/Aird and Williamson/Higgy.

If we can get this back or similar then teams struggle to cope. This new formation is just so different and isolates Ryan. He needs a winger.

We didn't offer our best winger after Aird a new deal. Now we don't have anyone effective as a left sided winger. Hippo has a LOT to prove still.

I honestly feel we've signed a number of players whom, when results get harder to come by, can't find it in them to dig themselves out.

I honestly feel we've signed a number of players whom, when results get harder to come by, can't find it in them to dig themselves out.

For me, this is the issue. El Bakhtaoui & Hippolyte in particular are luxury players. When the going gets tough, they’re anonymous. They always want to try their fancy flicks and showboat a bit. Sometimes, they just need to keep it simple.

Look at the Ayr game for example, whenever El Bakhtaoui got the ball, he’d have 2/3 men around him, but try and play his way out of it, instead of looking for a teammate in space. It was the same again at the weekend. Then at home to Inverness, Hippolyte was through 1-on-1 when it was 0-0, tried to showboat and ended up chasing the ball towards the corner flag.

We need players who will grind out results. Guys that are up for a battle. We’ve been far too soft so far, and I’m not seeing anyone at the club who might change that. Thomson and Vincent get brushed aside in midfield, in any physical battles. Williamson lost his physical battles with Gardyne, who’s about a foot smaller than him. As for the strikers, they’ll never win any sort of physical battle (except maybe Muirhead when he’s fit). We’re too soft.

34 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Zander Diamond, Gordon Greer and Paul Quinn all available. Andrew Driver still available too, some nice players there. If we have any budget left, should we try get someone else to play alongside Ashcroft, or Driver for creativity?

Hands off, you.