Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I think AJ will take this weekend more seriously than what he would have intended to do when the draw was made, he'll be more concerned than anyone with how it's gone recently and he'll be well aware that a poor result against Alloa may be his undoing. 

What I find a bit mental is that genuinely the most I've been impressed with how he's set up the team was against ICT in the cup with the youth team, he appreciated that they would have a stronger team than us so he set us out in a 4-5-1, and it worked. Most of the time he seems hell bent on making a formation work regardless if whether it's going well or if we have the players to do it. I'll be incredibly amused if we start with a 3-5-2 this weekend. And drunk, very drunk. 

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I think AJ will take this weekend more seriously than what he would have intended to do when the draw was made, he'll be more concerned than anyone with how it's gone recently and he'll be well aware that a poor result against Alloa may be his undoing. 

What I find a bit mental is that genuinely the most I've been impressed with how he's set up the team was against ICT in the cup with the youth team, he appreciated that they would have a stronger team than us so he set us out in a 4-5-1, and it worked. Most of the time he seems hell bent on making a formation work regardless if whether it's going well or if we have the players to do it. I'll be incredibly amused if we start with a 3-5-2 this weekend. And drunk, very drunk. 

I think the issue we are having this season, aside from the usual "players needing to gel" cliches. Is that he's got so many new players in, many of them coming later in the window, which makes it very difficult to completely overhaul the tactics and style. The players are not used to the tactics and it makes the whole thing look awkward and ineffective.

It has been shown that when it does work, it is very effective and can completely shut teams down. I think the problem is when we come up against teams that will try to hit us on the counter rather than coming at us, it means we are set up to shut down a threat that isn't there and our attack is trying to take advantage of gaps that don't exist.

There are a lot of games this season where that system can, and will, be very effective, I think we just need to change our mentality slightly when we're in games we're expecting to control. I think we just need to be a bit more fluid and a bit less robust in games like our previous two, focussing more on creativity and build-up rather than trying to pressure counter attacking teams.

10 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

I think the issue we are having this season, aside from the usual "players needing to gel" cliches. Is that he's got so many new players in, many of them coming later in the window, which makes it very difficult to completely overhaul the tactics and style. The players are not used to the tactics and it makes the whole thing look awkward and ineffective.

It has been shown that when it does work, it is very effective and can completely shut teams down. I think the problem is when we come up against teams that will try to hit us on the counter rather than coming at us, it means we are set up to shut down a threat that isn't there and our attack is trying to take advantage of gaps that don't exist.

There are a lot of games this season where that system can, and will, be very effective, I think we just need to change our mentality slightly when we're in games we're expecting to control. I think we just need to be a bit more fluid and a bit less robust in games like our previous two, focussing more on creativity and build-up rather than trying to pressure counter attacking teams.

Against teams who are "good" and who will come at us the formation will work to an extent because as a 532 it's not asking our centre backs to go out wide as much, our central midfielders can stay compact going from side to side and there's space for Hyppo and Faiss to run into. I think that's why it's no coincidence that it's looked against the better teams we've played in Hearts, the Dundee teams and even against County it wasn't bad. However against teams who are going to sit in and hit us we're going to struggle, massively. Ayr and ICT didn't look fantastic at all yet the scoreline suggests they absolutely battered us, it's wild. 

That is exactly the managers job though, to look at our players, look at who we're playing and think of a way to win, as it is he's set us up to play the same against literally every team we've played this season? 

There's very few teams in this division who will come out and try and dominate us, none left in this quarter so the formation should get swiftly punted into the nearest bin. 

Edited by Grant228

29 minutes ago, smpar said:

You don’t have any strikers in that post.

I'm confused. Am I being whooshed here?

Ryan and Muirhead are quite clearly stated in that post.

There's something here I'm not getting, isn't there?

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

No idea what he's on about like

My phone/app is fucked then.
IMG_0907.jpg