Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Nah he was reasonably well liked, very rarely performed stinking, absolutely a team player, incredible crossing ability. 
He did spend a fair amount of time injured and with that I think it's affected his pace, I think you'll really like him.

But then I thought you'd like McDougall and Nick Phinn... 
Sounds positive.

McDougall wasn't the worst tbf, just seriously inconsistent and went on a shagging spree behind his Mrs back that made the national press. I'd say he was more underwhelming than bad and the shagging accusations probably didn't help. He did claim on Twitter our fans gave him more abuse than anywhere else he's been which was bizarre, I don't think I ever remember him getting pelters.

Nicky Phinn was just completely broken. I can't even comment on whether he was good or shite, I think he managed about 5 appearances. A Pars fan I used to work with absolutely raved about him before we signed him.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Sounds positive.

McDougall wasn't the worst tbf, just seriously inconsistent and went on a shagging spree behind his Mrs back that made the national press. I'd say he was more underwhelming than bad and the shagging accusations probably didn't help. He did claim on Twitter our fans gave him more abuse than anywhere else he's been which was bizarre, I don't think I ever remember him getting pelters.

Nicky Phinn was just completely broken. I can't even comment on whether he was good or shite, I think he managed about 5 appearances. A Pars fan I used to work with absolutely raved about him before we signed him.

I didn't know that about McDougall, that could conceivably affect his performances... Where did he end up? 

Nick Phinn was broken during our championship season sadly, he had fantastic potential which he was never able to realise due to his chronic injuries, he made the championship team of the year while still a teenager I'm sure. 

Regardless I'm certain Paton will be a bigger success than both, Paton > Froxy.

31 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Nah, he downed tools to force a move, then was found out at St Mirren. That's the kinda guy you've signed. A one game in five guy that will sulk when he's not getting a game. Seeming more like a last minute panic the more I think about it. AJ will snap him soon enough. 

Lemons.jpg

17 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

We've heard this rhetoric on quite a number of occasions during AJ's tenure. AJ seems to get the best out of these types of players. I would even say Fais was quite similar in that regard before AJ came in and turned him in to a God.  

Our team is shaping up nicely now. Think we just need one striker and we're pretty much sorted. 

Time will tell.

How has Craigen done for you guys? What position does he play? I always thought Houston played him in the wrong position.

12 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Should've seen the abuse we game him away from year, oh ya c**t. 

I reckon he'll play more as a striker, potentially left winger if Connolly is off form/injured. 

And thats his preferred position. And I could sit here and say what I have said for the last two years..  Theres most definitely a player in there. And you absolutley will see it on occassion. There arent many players who can single handedly cause enough problems to totally turn a game. He can. But I cant be arsed with that type of player anymore largely due to Hartleys absolitel determination to launch them all. Wouldnt have minded if we kept him, but you cant rely him as a starter if you want to win the league IMO

14 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Don't want to get in the way of the Falkirk v Dunfermline stuff that seems to dominate this thread but that's Michael Paton confirmed with ourselves. Reports from Pars fans seem positive a few pages back. If you have anything bad to say about him say it now or forever hold your peace.

Saw a comment comparing him to Beckham a few pages back and if played as a winger, that's probably about right (albeit a Scottish League One version of Beckham). Not going to beat anyone for pace but puts in a mean cross. If played in the middle he'll rarely waste a ball and is a snappy tackler. Stood in at full back too. Tidy player. Part time might suit him if he can rest more, train lightly and hopefully stay in one piece for 90 minutes. 

On McDougall, you can't fault his taste in policewomen:

Steven-McDougall-and-Laura-Taggart.png

4 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Time will tell.

How has Craigen done for you guys? What position does he play? I always thought Houston played him in the wrong position.

I actually quite like him out wide, it was also where he played best against us for you guys(game at TFS), he's a totally different wide midfielder to say Connolly, Higgy and indeed Hippo but he's effective at making the midfield more solid while still retaining an attacking threat. 

He's done OK through the middle, he goes in for challenges than Falkirk fans made out he would, but with his talent on the ball I would like him to get on it more. 

A very good squad player I'd say, happy to have him. 

Edited by Grant228

I didn't know that about McDougall, that could conceivably affect his performances... Where did he end up? 

Nick Phinn was broken during our championship season sadly, he had fantastic potential which he was never able to realise due to his chronic injuries, he made the championship team of the year while still a teenager I'm sure. 

Regardless I'm certain Paton will be a bigger success than both, Paton > Froxy.
I believe McDougall may have fled to Canada with his bit on the side after a short stint with Clyde.

Shagging his way around the world.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And thats his preferred position. And I could sit here and say what I have said for the last two years..  Theres most definitely a player in there. And you absolutley will see it on occassion. There arent many players who can single handedly cause enough problems to totally turn a game. He can. But I cant be arsed with that type of player anymore largely due to Hartleys absolitel determination to launch them all. Wouldnt have minded if we kept him, but you cant rely him as a starter if you want to win the league IMO

I don't think we need to rely on him as a starter per se, a large part of how well he'll do for us is how AJ manages him when he's not on form and not playing though. He seems to thrive off big game occasions and getting stick so if nothing else he should do well against Falkirk. 

42 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Don't want to get in the way of the Falkirk v Dunfermline stuff that seems to dominate this thread but that's Michael Paton confirmed with ourselves. Reports from Pars fans seem positive a few pages back. If you have anything bad to say about him say it now or forever hold your peace.

You've got yourselves a bloody good, hard working player there. 

Great eye for a pass. You won't be unhappy with that signing. 

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He was certainly milking the laps of honour in his lovely socks/flip-flops combo. :lol:

Socks and flip flops, that's the real reason we got rid of him. 

Boys an absolute monster. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Paton is a very skillful player.

Willie Miller said of him that he was one of the most naturally gifted young players he'd ever seen at Aberdeen. He also said he suffered from a lack of confidence, but that was many years ago now.

For me he's a bit slow but I think he's more than capable of doing a good job for any team in this league. I'd have kept him at EEP.

With Paton, I feel he excelled with great attacking players around him and Williamson linking up with him.

At Dumbarton I don't know if he'll shine as brightly. If you have a striker who can find room in the box, he'll pick him out.

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

With Paton, I feel he excelled with great attacking players around him and Williamson linking up with him.

At Dumbarton I don't know if he'll shine as brightly. If you have a striker who can find room in the box, he'll pick him out.

I don't think they really care what we think of Paton. They're just missing the Championship forum.