Walking Down The Halbeath Road

22 hours ago, smpar said:

I see Thistle have named a stand after John Lambie, which is perhaps overdue. I’d like to see a stand named after Jim Leishman* before it’s too late for him to see it happen himself. I’m sure somebody made a thread about this a few years ago.

*or Jason Talbot

Nobody more deserving and as you say, it would be good to do it for someone when they’re still alive to see it. I started watching us early in his reign and the journey on which he took us was incredible. We were floundering about near the bottom of the bottom league (on sporting merit). 

Maybe unveil it at our opening Premiership game next season? 

20 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Nobody more deserving and as you say, it would be good to do it for someone when they’re still alive to see it. I started watching us early in his reign and the journey on which he took us was incredible. We were floundering about near the bottom of the bottom league (on sporting merit). 

Maybe unveil it at our opening Premiership game next season? 

Bert Paton is more deserving

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I love Bertie too and was lucky enough to find him in my living room having a coffee and a natter with my old man a couple of times when he was manager. He recaptured Leish’s enthusiasm and felt like the right fit after the dreary spells under Munro and Scott. 

17 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I love Bertie too and was lucky enough to find him in my living room having a coffee and a natter with my old man a couple of times when he was manager. He recaptured Leish’s enthusiasm and felt like the right fit after the dreary spells under Munro and Scott. 

Also a great player for us, including in big European games

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Also a great player for us, including in big European games

Bert was/is properly unhinged. I remember Gerry Britton and another player were having trouble getting knee injuries to clear up. Bert kept horses and sent the pair of them to see his vet (who was a whizz with troublesome knee joints). They were both soon sorted out. 

Jock Stein totally changed our club. If it wasn't for him, we'd no doubt be like East Fife, floating between the bottom two tiers. He is the ultimate in our history IMO. 

Has anyone else watched the heritage trust interviews with Dick and Bert?

Probably my favourite time at the club and listening to them you can understand why, real down to earth no nonsense people. 

Some interesting and funny stuff.

A reporter had a go at Andy Smith for having big ears, Bert grabs who he thinks is the reporter. "See you you're one ugly b*****d"

Dick Campbell "Bert!Bert!, that's no him"

:lol:

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Is he though? For people that have worked for the club Leishman is the pinnacle IMO, while his second spell wasn't successful, remember Tannadice and Dundee? I hope we name a stand after Leishman while he's alive to appreciate it. 

Leishman and Paton are both very worthy candidates. I would be happy to see them honoured one way or another. We already have a Jock Stein Suite, so he's sorted. As for Calderwood, no thank you,  for a multitude of reasons. He neither was nor is, a Pars man. Remember how quickly he ran off to Aberdeen?

Obviously folk who are mentioning Calderwood are joking as he shouldn't even be mentioned in such discussions

Out of interest, why do you think that?

I completely agree that Stein and Leishman are well ahead of Calderwood. I would probably put Paton ahead of him too. But I’ve never really understood why some fans just seem to dismiss Calderwood, like this. Took us from 1st Division, to our highest top flight finish and a cup final, that we probably would have won, if the referee hadn’t missed a blatant hand ball. There is no denying, that we played our best football in generations, under Calderwood.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worthy of having a stand named after him. But he doesn’t seem to get any appreciation for what he achieved at the club. Look at all the seasons immediately before and those that followed, between Leishman leaving and now nobody before or after him, was able to come close to emulating his success.

Calderwood spent money we didn't have. He was using the club as a stepping stone toward Rangers. We were thick as thieves with Rangers at that time from a Board level perspective.

I say forget Calderwood. Tainted imo.

Leishman has legendary status at EEP.  As a player he didn't do a lot. As  a manager he put us on the map. Those were great days indeed, I recall them with fondness. However not saying too much but Leishman could have done a lot more and quicker when it came to light that we were going into freefall under the previous regime imo.

Bert Paton did it as a player and a manager and is an absolute gentleman. He felt as if he had been treated poorly by the previous regime when attending games. 

For me Bert is the most deserving regarding those 3.

Stein, well he was the best.

Dick Campbell was sacked when were top or near top of the league and he brought in Stevie Crawford. Bert walked away probably because he had a good relationship with Rennie and could see the shady stuff coming with Masterton and co.

Calderwood outspent just about every side in a very poor SPL dominated by Rangers and Celtic. Remember we outbid Aberdeen for their captain and Hibs for Brewster. Utter madness.

I hate that era, it was very divisive and full of lies and I didn't really feel any connection to the club. Ultimately it was all for nothing, we won f**k all.

4 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Out of interest, why do you think that?

I completely agree that Stein and Leishman are well ahead of Calderwood. I would probably put Paton ahead of him too. But I’ve never really understood why some fans just seem to dismiss Calderwood, like this. Took us from 1st Division, to our highest top flight finish and a cup final, that we probably would have won, if the referee hadn’t missed a blatant hand ball. There is no denying, that we played our best football in generations, under Calderwood.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worthy of having a stand named after him. But he doesn’t seem to get any appreciation for what he achieved at the club. Look at all the seasons immediately before and those that followed, between Leishman leaving and now nobody before or after him, was able to come close to emulating his success.

Bert and Dick finished fifth in the SPL and got to two cup semi finals. They sold on players for huge fees and all this was done on a low budget. I would equate that to jack Ross doing the same with st Mirren nowadays.