Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Impressed with the squad you lot have build- Cardle, Higginbotham, McManus, Shiels, Clark, Ryan, Paton, Aird gives you plenty of options.

Would be really surprised if you were not in and around the top 4 at the end of the season.

When you compare Morton and Dunfermline's forward lines to St Mirren for example, we both look much stronger.

4 hours ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Speaking to an Airdrie fan just yesterday about this lad and he said that a few offers had came in but were pretty poor. I made a joke about us maybe using the Rangers cash money to bid for him, I didn't really expect us to pay any sort of fee for anyone. Without knowing the figures it does seem Airdrie are in a bit of bother cash wise.

Anyway Ryan seems to be highly rated and scored goals for Airdrie but as usual I will reserve judgement until I see him.

he has just signed for Dunfermline. he was the highest goalscorer in Scotland last season - speaks for itself. a huge loss for our club

I wouldn't like to see any of our strikers loaned out to any Championship club to be honest. Don't really want a Lewis Vaughan situation anyway near EEP.

If anything Smith would be scoring goals against Promotion/Play-off rivals rather than for them you'd imagine, by sending him to say Brechin or Dumbarton - I can't see him going to Inverness, Livingston, whoever that would mean him scoring goals that disadvantage us somehow.

Think a move to a League One side where he'll play every week and score a few goals, even til January, would be a decent one however.

Think a move to a League One side where he'll play every week and score a few goals, even til January, would be a decent one however.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Even 3-4 months of consistent, first team football could be so important for his development.

7 minutes ago, smpar said:

Pretty much my thoughts too. Even 3-4 months of consistent, first team football could be so important for his development.

After his performance at the weekend, I think Smith be a loss to the team putting him out on loan. His energy & work-rate cause all sorts of problems. However, playing him means having 2 or 3 of our higher earners on the bench (Can we just play 5 up top?) which I can't see AJ doing consistently.

Ryan obviously appears to be a great signing - but it's just a bit strange considering we already have Clark, McManus, Hoppy & Smith as options with Higgy & Shiels capable of playing there as back-up. We're still crying out for a central midfielder, and probably another full-back.

Hopefully Ryan is registered in time for a run-out tonight.

5 minutes ago, DBA said:

After his performance at the weekend, I think Smith be a loss to the team putting him out on loan.

I agree about Smith. Don't see what would be gained by sending him to a League One club. He's not going to face anyone as shite as Brad McKay down there. 

I doubt the striker overload will have passed AJ by. Suppose Hopkirk can be a backup to Higgy or Cardle (wasn't he usually getting subbed on as a winger when we were in League One?). With Clark still out at least we now can start with two decent strikers with two more on the bench. 

41 minutes ago, DBA said:

After his performance at the weekend, I think Smith be a loss to the team putting him out on loan. His energy & work-rate cause all sorts of problems. However, playing him means having 2 or 3 of our higher earners on the bench (Can we just play 5 up top?) which I can't see AJ doing consistently.

Ryan obviously appears to be a great signing - but it's just a bit strange considering we already have Clark, McManus, Hoppy & Smith as options with Higgy & Shiels capable of playing there as back-up. We're still crying out for a central midfielder, and probably another full-back.

Hopefully Ryan is registered in time for a run-out tonight.

I would imagine they'd rest him tonight given that he didn't train all last week with an injury. No point risking it for a diddy cup.

Negative head on... could we have bought him as Clark is out for longer than four weeks?

I hope not, but it's really not a big deal if Clark is out for a bit longer. Without Clark, we drew 2-2 at Tynecastle and beat Inverness 5-1. If he's not our best player, he's certainly one of them, but we've shown that we can still get a result without him.

If Ryan has as good a season as he did this year our investment could be worth it, if bigger teams come sniffing.

I think ideally Hoppy would play on either side rather than permanently through the middle. Just need 1 more CM and I'm more than happy with our squad. If in doubt we can just outscore teams.

Ryan and McMannus to play tonight would be my guess or 5 up front against Hutton.

Edited by Adam101

1 hour ago, JessieField said:

Dunfermline spending out of control again?

He was on about 1.3k at Airdrie I'm sure, one of the main reasons they got into a bad spot. Can't see him taking a paycut to join the Pars.

Wage was the biggest reason we were struggling to get the deal over, Pars obviously got more money than us with us living within our means so will be interesting to see how he performs. His goals say enough, cracking signing well done!

Edited by ATLIS