Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 minutes ago, PRS said:

I was in school with Ross Jack- top guy as well as a cracking player

He was some player for us. Second top scorer in the Premier League behind John Robertson in 89-90. Had some real quality alongside him too - John Watson, George O'Boyle, Istavn Kozma. 

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Before my time, what type of striker was he? Seen him in the odd clip, an Andy Smith or a Gerry Britton type?

He was really good. A heftier, slower El Back. Some shot on him - that power that few players (maybe El Bak, Burchill) have to about burst the net before your brain has calculated there's even a possibility of a shot.

17 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

In actual signing news, Paton signs a 1 year deal.

That's the all-import occasional left back and wide right stand-in position covered.

Maybe mould him into a right back or centre midfielder.  

He's another one, like Cardle, that could be like a new signing if he has a good preseason and finds a way to fit in to the team. I'd suggested he has a go at being a midfielder as when we were being really dross early last year with McCabe and Geggan in the middle, he looked a better midfielder than either of then when he came in from the wing to try and influence stuff in the middle of the park. 

37 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Someone didnt want him to sign. Shame they couldnt pull hard enough to get the shirt out of his hands

Maybe the wind just caught it? Inside.

Or maybe the kitman used a bit too much starch on that strip?

26 minutes ago, Parscelona said:

Meh.

Really surprised he's stayed in all honesty, Johnston didn't exactly play him much.

Pretty much this.

When AJ said quality over quantity, I expected Paton to be away. Having Cardle & Hopkirk already signed-up, who both couldn't get a regular game last year, it seems strange to keep another in Paton.

He's capable of a few good performances, but over a full season at this level? Nah, not for me if we are genuinely aiming for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

He was really good. A heftier, slower El Back. Some shot on him - that power that few players (maybe El Bak, Burchill) have to about burst the net before your brain has calculated there's even a possibility of a shot.

Bit off an alround centre forward; good finisher, could hold up the ball and work hard off it and useful in the air too.  Very much a team player

Pretty much this.
When AJ said quality over quantity, I expected Paton to be away. Having Cardle & Hopkirk already signed-up, who both couldn't get a regular game last year, it seems strange to keep another in Paton.
He's capable of a few good performances, but over a full season at this level? Nah, not for me if we are genuinely aiming for the playoffs.

Sums up my thoughts exactly, without Raith and Hibs the gates will be down, we will have a smaller budget and we'll need to be more intelligent on how we spend it.

The likes of Hopkirk, Duthie and now Paton (I hope) won't be on big wages, however they really shouldn't have been offered extensions. You might have been able to get 1 good quality championship player with the wages from them.