GAA.. All ireland finals

magee84

Is there already a thread for the irish football/hurling championships? Hope i havent trodden on anyones toes here..

decent coverage on sky channel 433.. essentialy setanta sports.

business end of the season approaching..

my team ,Kerry were desperately unlucky in a last gasp defeat to Dublin last year.. hoping they go one better this year. have a wee soft spot for Donegal as well

anyone else on p&b a fan ?

no greater sight in sport than a packed Croke Park on all ireland finals day IMO

Never been to Croke on a matchday, had the stadium tour a few years back and that and the sense of history around the place in what you read and watch is simply breathtaking..

I took a passing interest when i was younger due to my dads family coming from.kerry..

Became more of a fan after that visit a few years back as i was mesmerised by the history and aura of the place and of the sports..

would love to visit croke on finals day.. looks amazing.

and yes the dubs keeper kicking the winning point in added time last year was a sore one .. :(

Have taken an interest in GAA in the last few years and have been to a good few Dublin games now both at Croke Park and Parnell Park. Atmosphere at Croke Park with a full house is rather special id have to say. For the championship its hard to say, Kerry are always there or abouts, Dublin had a horrible league campaign but should be stronger for the championship again. Looking forward to it.

Is there already a thread for the irish football/hurling championships? Hope i havent trodden on anyones toes here..

my team ,Kerry were desperately unlucky in a last gasp defeat to Dublin last year.. hoping they go one better this year. have a wee soft spot for Donegal as well

no greater sight in sport than a packed Croke Park on all ireland finals day IMO

There is already a thread.

Can't agree that Kerry were desperately unlucky to lose to the Dubs last year. Kerry had a commanding lead going into the closing stages of the match and couldn't see it out. Dublin were deserving winners.

Alright Waspie,yeah,Kerry should have closed that out but it made for a cracking finish to the final

I can't post links but you might want to read an article in Brollys Bites about Tyrone,it won't make comfortable reading for fans of The Red Hands

I read that piece caoimhin. Ultimately a lot of people were getting over excited at Tyrone winning 5 from 5 in the McKenna Cup then cruising through the league with 7 wins from 7. I read pundits in the build up to the Kildare match saying Harte had re-invented Tyrone and that Sam was a possibility. Tyrone then lose 1 match (and there wasn't much in it, Tyrone were ahead before Kildare's late scoring burst) and suddenly they are being widely written off. A lot of hype - both in terms of talking Tyrone up before the Kildare match and talking them down afterwards.

In reality I think Harte has done really well this year. The team has coped well with all the retirals and the new younger players have done well. It was very unfortunate that Kyle Coney was ruled out (for the season) with an injury before the Kildare game having been Tyrone's main scoring threat in the league. Similarly Ronan O'Neill was showing well before his injury. Those boys have it in them to be top forwards in the next decade. Peter Harte is going to be a great playmaker. I think Brolly's point is a little simplistic and that Harte will have learned plenty from the league final, more perhaps than he learned from the 12 consecutive wins that preceded it. Tyrone are unlikely to win Sam but they are still good enough to be dangerous opponents this summer.

Think back to Brolly before the 2008 1/4 when he tipped Dublin to beat Tyrone. By half time with Tyrone 5 points up he was waxing lyrical about the great qualities of this great Tyrone team that he had never written off :lol:

Edited by Waspie

What kind of sport is this you speak of?

You never seen the GAA ? Also known as the gaelic games... essentialy iris football and hurling.. irish football is kinda a cross between 'soccer' and rugby and is fascinating to watch and play.. hurling is a more violent version of shinty IMO.. im not such so much a fan of that, essentially as Kerry are shit at it but i still enjoy watching it from time to time.

You should give it a go deky, broaden your horizons :)

If I had known about Gaelic football when I was growing up, I reckon I'd still be playing it now. I only became (slightly) aware of it about 2 years ago when I started making work trips to Northern Ireland, and it looks like an incredible game.

due to the large amount of irish students in Scotland, most universities have GAA teams now I think, despite being born in Ireland I spent most my life brought up in Scotland and its something I feel Ive missed out on, whenever I used to go homes I used to love having a wee go at it. Ive been to half a dozen games or so too at Croke Park mainly to watch hurling, best thing about it as a spectator is thats its end to end stuff. To be honest I have no means or real interest to follow it now but its worth a watch if your ever over.

Edited by gannonball

You never seen the GAA ? Also known as the gaelic games... essentialy iris football and hurling.. irish football is kinda a cross between 'soccer' and rugby and is fascinating to watch and play.. hurling is a more violent version of shinty IMO.. im not such so much a fan of that, essentially as Kerry are shit at it but i still enjoy watching it from time to time.

You should give it a go deky, broaden your horizons :)

I've seen the hurling, poor man's shinty and also Irish football, looks like fun.

Was there not some sort of cross over Aussie rules/Irish football match on?

Not sure about GAA, is that the governing body?

Edited by deky

Hurling is a faster more skilful version of the Scottish breakaway sport you mean.......

We play the Aussies in a hybrid code every year as we do with the Scots,you'll find videos for both on youtube.The game against the Scots doesn't get nearly as much exposure as the Aussie game though,which should be reversed in my opinion

The Gaelic Athletic Association govern the games,including handball and rounders

Only someone with a connection to Donegal could love the current team,the emphasis on getting men behind the ball is a killer to watch

Behave yourself ;) .

Agree about Donegal, painful to watch last summer.

It could be a short Summer for ye

McDonnell is a massive loss

Have only recently picked them over the past week, have watched a few games on Setanta without a real team to follow.

Jumping on them.

What's the connection to Kerry?

Not a dig, genuinely interested.