Smackdown Thread

The turn on Sami has begun I see as well with hints of Roman being lowkey pissed off that Sami has become more popular than the group he's an honorary member of. Shame as it still has legs but they'll need to strike this month for the Mania build.

Does raise some very interesting questions around WM.  Obviously no-one really knows, but if they are wanting to get the Rock in, they could f**k one of the best home-grown stories they've had since Bryan and WM30.  If he is slated to face Roman, how do you fit Zayn in?  Arguably not in any meaningful way that doesn't involve some complicated double-duty and dilutes the story.  Only thing I could see working would be having Reigns lose to Zayn at the Rumble, but that seems like a waste too.

HHH is going to want to pull out all the stops for the Rumble, let alone for WM itself.  He could really put down a marker for his first WM season, and although having Rock return would do that, having Sami Zayn lifting the titles as they fade to black would surely be the choice to make.

They're going to f**k the Zayn storyline. Rumour is that they'll blow it off at Rumble or next month and Zayn will team with Owens at Mania to fight the Usos.

As forameus says, the rumour seems to be Rock coming in and winning at Mania. As much as I like The Rock, that doesn't do anything for anyone, even if Reigns won.

What should be happening is Cody fights Reigns one night one and Zayn fights him night two. Could even have them win a title each or have Cody come up short.

Or maybe Reigns does face Rock and wins and then Zayn is the guy to beat him at say, Sunmerslam?

f**k knows, just hope they don't waste the Sami storyline.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They're going to f**k the Zayn storyline. Rumour is that they'll blow it off at Rumble or next month and Zayn will team with Owens at Mania to fight the Usos.

As forameus says, the rumour seems to be Rock coming in and winning at Mania. As much as I like The Rock, that doesn't do anything for anyone, even if Reigns won.

What should be happening is Cody fights Reigns one night one and Zayn fights him night two. Could even have them win a title each or have Cody come up short.

Or maybe Reigns does face Rock and wins and then Zayn is the guy to beat him at say, Sunmerslam?

f**k knows, just hope they don't waste the Sami storyline.

Ooooooft...if that is the plan, deary me.  

I don't necessarily mind them blowing everything off at the Rumble, but that's if Zayn wins the titles.  Freeing Reigns up to have the match with Rock then get a well-earned rest.  If Reigns has the titles, the Rock match just becomes so, so pointless.  Do you have a part-timer who will probably get injured and be more interested in doing movies have the top two titles in your company?  Or do you just have Reigns retain?  Neither is particularly attractive for a variety of reasons.  

I don't really like the double-duty idea.  I think it dilutes whoever wins on Night 2 because they're now not the one to dethrone Reigns if he loses both.  If he wins one, I still think that winner ends up feeling lessened as they're only getting half the gold.  The Summerslam idea maybe has legs if you're absolutely intent on having Reigns face Rock, but I still think he should be beaten at WM.  He's had a tremendous run, and the time's right for it to end.

I think the only real course of action is to run Reigns vs Sami at WM, pay off that story, and then give him some time off.  Then build to Rock vs Roman at a big show in the future.  WM40 would certainly be made bigger having that.

TL;DR, and not going around the houses, I expect they'll f**k it too.  After Clash at the Castle, I can see HHH making a poor decision.

Edited by forameus

• 1 month later...

As over he is, it's just the wrong timing for Cody if they are going with a single champion (I.e. one guy holding both belts). I just don't have any interest in Cody winning the titles at Mania when Sami is this mentally over and has the far superior story.

They either have to make the main event of Mania a triple threat or split the titles at Mania. You could have someone cost Sami tomorrow (Solo?) and have Sami face him night one for a shot at Reigns on night two. Meanwhile, also on night one, have Cody win the WWE title but not the Universal one. Close out night two with Sami winning the Universal title. 

Or something, I don't know! But they simply can't not have Sami at Mania going against Reigns. The fans won't accept him in just a tag match unless it leads to a title shot.

It is bugging me a bit having seen years and years of vkm giving it reach for the brass ring, get yourself over etc just for him to change his mind based on what side of the bed he got up from, and now he's not in charge and there's this massive open net with a guy who has done exactly that. They pulled the trigger with Becky a few years ago when fans were desperate for it, just do it with Sami man, fs. 

Edited by Jeff Venom

2 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

It is bugging me a bit having seen years and years of vkm giving it reach for the brass ring, get yourself over etc just for him to change his mind based on what side of the bed he got up from, and now he's not in charge and there's this massive open net with a guy who has done exactly that. They pulled the trigger with Becky a few years ago when fans were desperate for it, just do it with Sami man, fs. 

I've seen folk say 'All well and good but what do you do with him as champ?'

The answer to that is 'Who cares, see how the cards lie when we get there'.

Did Kofi Kingston's run as champ take away from the Kofimania build up? Did Daniel Bryan having to forfeit his belts take away from the run to Mania?

Sometimes, the story is all in the chase. They have magic in the palm of their hand here.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I've seen folk say 'All well and good but what do you do with him as champ?'

The answer to that is 'Who cares, see how the cards lie when we get there'.

Did Kofi Kingston's run as champ take away from the Kofimania build up? Did Daniel Bryan having to forfeit his belts take away from the run to Mania?

Sometimes, the story is all in the chase. They have magic in the palm of their hand here.

Yep, actually forgot about Kofi's run as well! Sami is molten hot, just do it trips, mon! 

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

For what it's worth, I don't think Roman wins convincingly tomorrow night.

Sami walks away with the DQ victory and this turns into a Triple Threat at Mania.

If they still plan on Rhodes winning that though, it’s suicide. 

Cody is basically Batista in 2014 here, without the booing (yet)

Edited by TheGoon