What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Meet the Fockers. Not as good as I remember it from the first time I saw it at the flicks.

Funniest part was Hoffman's protest to stop De Niro leaving.

5/10

Brokeback Mountain - 4/10

I think I must have missed something. Was I supposed to have any sympathy with these two guys? Was the selfish and loathsome way in which they treated their wives, children and families supposed to be justified because they were frustrated at only seeing each other 2 or 3 times a year? I was hoping that any preconceptions were going to be challenged, that I would be swept away in a love story that had no bearing on the fact it was two men. All I could see were 2 guys who appeared to suddenly turn gay because they were cold and drunk. Well, I've been cold and drunk before and I've not felt the need to involve myself in some extreme Greco-Roman wrestling.

I couldn't make out pretty much one word that Heath Ledger mumbled. Michelle Williams and the stunning locations were superb, as were Anne Hathaways brief charms ;)

Ang Lee has already covered this ground before in The Ice Storm and with better results. I'm afraid I was underwhelmed.

Duel - 7/10

You can tell it was made for TV but it's pretty good.

Saleman overtakes truck, truck tries to kill salesman in personal vandetta that leads to 70 mins of tense cat and mouse situations with no real motive. It's basically a pre-cursor to Jaws, with the Shark being replaced by a truck. Dennis Weaver is superb, his descent into panic, despair and paranoia is sublime. It's one of Spielberg's least smaltzy movies and well worthpicking up if going cheap.

If anyone has seen Jeepers Creepers and thought the first 20 mins were the best (before turning into silly monster shite <_< ) then check it out. The opening of this film is a complete rip off of Duel.

Duel - 7/10

You can tell it was made for TV but it's pretty good.

Saleman overtakes truck, truck tries to kill salesman in personal vandetta that leads to 70 mins of tense cat and mouse situations with no real motive. It's basically a pre-cursor to Jaws, with the Shark being replaced by a truck. Dennis Weaver is superb, his descent into panic, despair and paranoia is sublime. It's one of Spielberg's least smaltzy movies and well worthpicking up if going cheap.

If anyone has seen Jeepers Creepers and thought the first 20 mins were the best (before turning into silly monster shite <_< ) then check it out. The opening of this film is a complete rip off of Duel.

See Monster Man (2003) for the exact same film.

Brokeback Mountain - 4/10

I think I must have missed something. Was I supposed to have any sympathy with these two guys? Was the selfish and loathsome way in which they treated their wives, children and families supposed to be justified because they were frustrated at only seeing each other 2 or 3 times a year? I was hoping that any preconceptions were going to be challenged, that I would be swept away in a love story that had no bearing on the fact it was two men. All I could see were 2 guys who appeared to suddenly turn gay because they were cold and drunk. Well, I've been cold and drunk before and I've not felt the need to involve myself in some extreme Greco-Roman wrestling.

I couldn't make out pretty much one word that Heath Ledger mumbled. Michelle Williams and the stunning locations were superb, as were Anne Hathaways brief charms ;)

Ang Lee has already covered this ground before in The Ice Storm and with better results. I'm afraid I was underwhelmed.

I think the sympathy would come from the fact that they were unable to express themselves in public, in fact they were both mixed up enough to believe that what happened on the mountain (ie them falling in love) was something they should ignore and suppress to the extent that they tried to lead "normal" lives. Any such sympathy isn't exclusive, obviously it was more tragic that the lives of their wives and kids were affected as well. They didn't "turn gay", they were gay! It took them long enough to realise it, in fact Ledger's character never comes to terms with it until it's too late for them to live the life they badly wanted to.

I think the sympathy would come from the fact that they were unable to express themselves in public, in fact they were both mixed up enough to believe that what happened on the mountain (ie them falling in love) was something they should ignore and suppress to the extent that they tried to lead "normal" lives. Any such sympathy isn't exclusive, obviously it was more tragic that the lives of their wives and kids were affected as well. They didn't "turn gay", they were gay! It took them long enough to realise it, in fact Ledger's character never comes to terms with it until it's too late for them to live the life they badly wanted to.

As a love story it didn't make sense to me. One second they are not really getting on, the next they are in the tent falling in love. You seem to have taken my "turning gay" thing to extremes. There was no inclination up to that point that these guys were homosexual, or that they even liked each other. I'm not saying that having them camp it up would have made it more believable either mind you. I just wasn't convinced that given their relationship up to that point they would end up having sex the first night they spend in the same tent.

Both characters ended up unsympathetic by their actions towards others (Ledger especially) and that has nothing to do with sexuality. Infidelity is infidelity whoever you are poking. I just didn't feel that sorry for someone who decided they were not strong enough to live their life the way they wanted to while subjecting those who loved him to pain and misery. In that repect I didn't feel so bad for Michelle William's character either as she knew about her husband and stayed with him. The whole sorry mess was miserable.

That both lead characters knowingly entered into relationships after their time on Brokeback speaks volumes - they were selfish shits who were unwilling to be true to themselves, just as Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline were in The Ice Storm.

As a love story it didn't make sense to me. One second they are not really getting on, the next they are in the tent falling in love. You seem to have taken my "turning gay" thing to extremes. There was no inclination up to that point that these guys were homosexual, or that they even liked each other. I'm not saying that having them camp it up would have made it more believable either mind you. I just wasn't convinced that given their relationship up to that point they would end up having sex the first night they spend in the same tent.

Both characters ended up unsympathetic by their actions towards others (Ledger especially) and that has nothing to do with sexuality. Infidelity is infidelity whoever you are poking. I just didn't feel that sorry for someone who decided they were not strong enough to live their life the way they wanted to while subjecting those who loved him to pain and misery. In that repect I didn't feel so bad for Michelle William's character either as she knew about her husband and stayed with him. The whole sorry mess was miserable.

That both lead characters knowingly entered into relationships after their time on Brokeback speaks volumes - they were selfish shits who were unwilling to be true to themselves, just as Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline were in The Ice Storm.

I haven't seen The Ice Storm, but I took this more as a story of two people who were unable to be true to themselves, rather than unwilling. I suspect that that is a character trait that is still prevalent today. People make mistakes, people stay in abusive or failing relationships, and all of those elements had relevance to me. I guess how much the viewer sets out to make judgements on the characters will have an impact on how much they enjoy the film. Ledger's character in particular is almost impossible to "like", but that made his performance even better for me.

What I took about the "first night in the tent" element was that their awkwardness with each other beforehand was as much about the repression of what they felt as the events of the rest of the film. They didn't show signs of homosexuality because it was entirely repressed as that was what their society demanded. Mind you, if Gyllenhall had just grown his moustache at the start of the film rather than halfway through, it would have been obvious to everyone which way he swung :P

Guest BullyWee1878

Anchorman. 10/10. :D:D:D:D

Agree with you, gets better every time I watch it.

I have the Wake Up Ron Burgundy DVD as well which you only got with the American version, its also pretty good.

Mission: Impossible III - 7.

Far from the train wreck I expected after how woeful Two was, good entertainment and some amazing action scenes. Overdid the luvvie bits though. Well worth a look if it's your thang.

Just been to see that tonight. Was a bit puzzled by it to be honest, didn't really get what was going on some of the time. Lots of unanswered questions.

Walk The Line...good, but no brilliant. that's the trouble with bio-pics; they're like a box of micro-chips- they never quite leave you satisfied adn wanting something else to get your teeth into.

Excellent performances from the two leads, butfelt the whole film was a little 'thin'.

Anyone seen the football documentary Once in a Lifetime? I thought it was great.

It's about the rise and fall of the New York Cosmos, who at one time had Pele and Franz Beckenbauer in their ranks. A must-see for anyone who was the slightest interest in sporting history or American culture in general.

Pele declined to be interviewed for the movie but the archive footage of him in action is simply stunning.

Edited by centralparker

Anyone seen the football documentary Once in a Lifetime? I thought it was great.

It's about the rise and fall of the New York Cosmos, who at one time had Pele and Franz Beckenbauer in their ranks. A must-see for anyone who was the slightest interest in sporting history or American culture in general.

Pele declined to be interviewed for the movie but the archive footage of him in action is simply stunning.

Aye, it's excellent :)

The bit where Pele chops Rodney Marsh is hilarious :D

Saw X Men 3 yesterday, typical superhero film ,not much different to the rest. Still enjoyable enough however (and has Halle Berry in it :D :D :D).

7/10.

Best bit about the cinema experience however was seeing the trailer for Superman, and thinking Kevin Spacey was born to play lex luther :)