What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Went to see an american haunting laast night...BAWS

2/10

Didnt understand the plot and it lost further marks when a father raped his daughter...disgusting <_<

Against my better judgement, I went to see The Da Vinci Code this afternoon.

It was dire. I reckon if I hadn't read the book I'd have been totally lost with it. It seemed to skirt over half the important imagery which would have translated superbly to film, instead replacing it with melodrama, ham acting and awful dialogue. Ian McKellan is decent in it, the rest are terrible.

2/10.

Against my better judgement, I went to see The Da Vinci Code this afternoon.

It was dire. I reckon if I hadn't read the book I'd have been totally lost with it. It seemed to skirt over half the important imagery which would have translated superbly to film, instead replacing it with melodrama, ham acting and awful dialogue. Ian McKellan is decent in it, the rest are terrible.

2/10.

Opinions vary of course, I mean some might say you're a good footballer :P

I really enjoyed it! Sure there are obvious drawbacks from translating to film, the louvre for example skipped by pretty quickly, but it seemed to be the tone of the whole film, with the action racing along. All of a sudden you're in London and the film's almost done. I'm not sure what important imagery was missed, but agree reading the book certainly was of benifit. Perhaps someone who has not read the book, yet seen the film can cast comment better on the film's quality.

In terms of performance, Gandalf is indeed very good, but so was Bettany IMO, encapsulating the precise mental image I had of Silas while reading, and dare I say Hanks was believable in his portrayal of an intelligent man.

Such was the nature of the book and it's impact that many are downgrading the film before even watching, and even then some who watch are wanting it to be a failure. That it certainly won't be, but I feel it won't get the credit it deserved.

8/10

Edited by Clyde4life

Guest Cheyne Stoking

Saw Once in a Lifetime this afternoon...it's a superb documentary about the NY Cosmos

An interview with Rodney Marsh (who played for Tampa Bay "Rowdies")..."it''s been said you're the white Pele" RM replies with "not at all...Pele is the black Rodney Marsh!"

It's an excellent movie, all football fans will love it I'm sure but before you go, remember, it's a documentary.

7.5/10

Opinions vary of course, I mean some might say you're a good footballer :P

I really enjoyed it! Sure there are obvious drawbacks from translating to film, the louvre for example skipped by pretty quickly, but it seemed to be the tone of the whole film, with the action racing along. All of a sudden you're in London and the film's almost done. I'm not sure what important imagery was missed, but agree reading the book certainly was of benifit. Perhaps someone who has not read the book, yet seen the film can cast comment better on the film's quality.

In terms of performance, Gandalf is indeed very good, but so was Bettany IMO, encapsulating the precise mental image I had of Silas while reading, and dare I say Hanks was believable in his portrayal of an intelligent man.

Such was the nature of the book and it's impact that many are downgrading the film before even watching, and even then some who watch are wanting it to be a failure. That it certainly won't be, but I feel it won't get the credit it deserved.

8/10

:lol: Nobody in their right mind would call me a good footballer ;)

Reading the book, the stuff I was interested in was not the plot or dialogue, but the stuff about Da Vinci's works. I felt that was skipped over, and there was too much darkness in it. The bit in The Louvre was meant to be dark, but the whole image of Sauntere in the pose wasn't really played upon enough. The bit in the knight's house as well, that was all in darkness. Why didn't they switch the lights on? There was more melodrama there than I imagined, and it was unnecessary.

I was probably biased as I thought the actual plot of the book was pretty weak (although I enjoyed the factual stuff, about Da Vinci's works and about religious history) and I hate Tom Hanks for his "America is Great" Spielbergian films, but I still felt there was an opportunity to make more of all the images in the book than they did.

Wasn't most of the "facts" in the Da Vinci code borrowed from a 1970's BBC series on the origin of the grail which turned out to be a total hoax, written by a writer of Doctor Who?

Guest buddie boy

Watched The Untouchables(Kevin Costner, Robert De Niro, Sean Connery and Andy Garcia). 9/1, brilliant movie :D , despite Sean Connerys irish accent. :ph34r:

I thought the Da Vinci Code was a bit ponderous at times but nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews suggested. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and was looking forward immensely to the film. Ok, the movie didn't fulfill all my expectations but isn't that par for the course when you have prior knowledge of the book?

Edited by centralparker

I was looking forward to the Da Vinci Code film, however if people are saying that the film is not as good as the book, the film must be terrible. The book read as a film script rather than a novel. Ron Howard must have made a mess of it, if its not as agood as the book.

Wasn't most of the "facts" in the Da Vinci code borrowed from a 1970's BBC series on the origin of the grail which turned out to be a total hoax, written by a writer of Doctor Who?

Dunno if it was ever a TV series, but they borrow pretty heavily from a book called The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail:

Amazonian Clicky

For what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are some parts of the plot that are holier than a Swiss Cheese - I won't go into them in case I spoil anything - but still an enjoyable yarn, and really helps you picture certain scenes that were hard to imagine in the book.

I'd give it an 7, but I got a BJ after it, so we'll call it a 8 :)

Edited by Gaz

Yes but that book also borrows heavily from the "factual" BBC documentary also. The list of the keepers of Priory of Sion was a forged document, and both books have used this heavily.