What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Iron man 3. Usual comic book fare. Kept me entertained for a few hours 6/10.

Hangover 3. Not like the first 2 in terms of story which makes the plot a little week. Not as fun either. Few genuine lol moments though 6/10

Star Trek into darkness. Fun action film with amazing sfx. Could pick holes in it but it was very entertaining. Solid 7/10.

Sent from my LT15i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I watched the latest adaptation of True Grit the other night a couple of weeks after having seen the John Wayne version. I really liked it on the whole. It felt like a much more mature and realistic approach to the story than the previous adaptation.

As much as it pains me to admit it, as I love Jeff Bridges and I normally can't stand John Wayne, I do prefer Wayne's performance as Rooster Cogburn. For a large part of this film Bridges take on Cogburn left me feeling cold and it was only towards the end that I began to like that take on the character. The young actress who plays Mattie Ross is outstanding though, I'd heard good things about her performance but even so I was still really impressed by her.

It's another really stunning looking film from Joel and Ethan Cohen.

8/10.

I loved True Grit, the young actress stole the show imo. Though Bridges and Damon were excellent too.

I loved True Grit, the young actress stole the show imo. Though Bridges and Damon were excellent too.

I like Matt Damon as an actor but I felt he verged on the bland a bit in True Grit a couple of times. His portrayal felt a little too sophisticated or too well rounded for a Ranger who has spent months roaming around chasing Tom Chaney, if that makes any sense? The performance of the actor who played LaBoeuf in the first adaptation of True Grit was a bit more rough around the edges and it seemed to fit the character better for me.

Edited by captainkev

The Hangover Three - get the feeling that it depends on your feelings about Alans humour. Still find him funny and you'll love it, find it boring now and you'll hate it.

The Hangover Three - get the feeling that it depends on your feelings about Alans humour. Still find him funny and you'll love it, find it boring now and you'll hate it.

Saw this last night, pleasantly supised by it, although to be fair I expected it to be utterlly rotten, so a passable waste of an few hours was accepatble

Alan is hit and miss, a few moments got a LOL, although never really the outrageous stuff

Asking Phil where he got his top, for example, made me giggle

Just back from seeing it myself. I felt they tried too hard with Alan in this one. It was alright and I liked that Ken Jeong was in it for a lot more as I enjoy watching him work. Goodman was a good addition too.

Wasn't as good as the first one, probably slightly better than 2 (but I've only seen it once, I think, so I'm a bit hazy).

Apparently there's a post/mid credits scene that I guess I'll need to find online since I left before it came on. Damn.

Baseketball.

Oldie but a goodie, watched it for first time since I had it on VHS

9/10

Sent from ma phone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Baseketball.

9/10

Cracking film. I heard your girlfriend is going out with SQUEAK!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Just back from seeing it myself. I felt they tried too hard with Alan in this one. It was alright and I liked that Ken Jeong was in it for a lot more as I enjoy watching him work. Goodman was a good addition too.

Wasn't as good as the first one, probably slightly better than 2 (but I've only seen it once, I think, so I'm a bit hazy).

Apparently there's a post/mid credits scene that I guess I'll need to find online since I left before it came on. Damn.

The scene in the credits is probably the only scene where the entire audience burst into laughter at once

The Informant!

A true-story goofball comedy from Steven Soderbergh, starring Matt Damon, about a powerful, compulsive liar businessman-turned-informant against his business in a government investigation.

There are many great things about the film. I loved the music and the interesting screenplay, especially in the first-person narrative. Matt Damon clowns around as if unknowingly, which is exactly what Mark Whitacre seems to have been like, and, naturally, Soderbergh on camera provides frills aplenty.

Unfortunately, it was just a bit boring for me. There are twists and turns and some very entertaining scenes, but large parts of the content just don't cut it and I found it really hard to get into. The pacing's a bit up and down throughout and it pretty much ruins it. There is a brilliant sort-of twist toward the end, though, which is great but isn't quite a saving grace. A definite one-watch.

5/10

Saw this last night, pleasantly supised by it, although to be fair I expected it to be utterlly rotten, so a passable waste of an few hours was accepatble

Alan is hit and miss, a few moments got a LOL, although never really the outrageous stuff

Asking Phil where he got his top, for example, made me giggle

his singing at the funeral was fantastic, knew it was going to be him before it panned to him ha.

Baseketball.

9/10

Cracking film. I heard your girlfriend is going out with SQUEAK!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

"I swear, you guys rip on me thirteen or fourteen more times, i am outta here!"

Wreck-It Ralph

Great animated arcade adventure fun. It's a story in a world after the arcade closes about a "bad guy" game character who means well but is a social outcast when he goes home after the game ends. Fix-it Fred gets all the medals, and Ralph wishes that just once he could too. So he goes looking for the chance to be a hero and it leads to many exciting adventures in the other games. It rips off Toy Story a little bit, but adds a lot of its own ideas all the same. A lot of it's very cheesy and didn't do it for me but I'm taking nothing away from the fact that it's a consistent 90 minutes of fun and games.

Like any animation should be, it's packed with imaginative stuff- from small characters to signs and little things in the background. The voice performances lacked the quality that a Pixar cast never fails to provide- there's a distinct lack of recognisable names other than John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman, but Reilly never really ever sets the microphone alight like a Billy Crystal or Tom Hanks. Silverman's voice is bursting with adorable energy, that was a good call.

All in all: good entertainment, good fun and well-animated, but it doesn't come close to the aforementioned top dogs in the animation business. That said, much more enjoyable than Brave. Probably the best animated film of 2012.

7/10

The Invention Of Lying

I think anyone could guess the script just looking at the poster- Ricky Gervais plays a down-on-his-luck single writer, living in a 100% honest and gullible world, who changes his fortune by inventing lying.

Good idea, and if it was done right it could have been like a modern Groundhog Day, but in all honesty it was nowhere near. Too much of it was based on cheap humour, it was poorly acted, poorly shot and lacked quality in just about every department. There are a few great laughs but nowhere near as many as required for a good comedy. It goes from disappointing to ridiculous when it turns into a theological spoof, although I liked how that plot line started. I really think if it was handled better that line could have worked, but it seems like Gervais couldn't resist a cheap shot at religion and ultimately it ruined what was left of the film.

Top marks for the imaginative plot idea and the Merchant/Williamson cameo (worth Youtubing that) but, like so many films of its kind, after an entertaining start it verged on dreadful towards the end.

5/10