What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

quite enjoyed the animated series, the characters were actually better in that than in the films lol

Thnk that was part of the charm of the first film was that the acting was pretty cheesey, Michael Ironside hammed it up but was a great character

I'm more amazed anyone would like the first movie. Fucking dreadful, with shite acting all over the place, and a shite plot.

Just shite really.

It's why I like it. The propaganda-esque narrator, the OTT graphic as f**k slaughter, and a nubile Denise Richards.

If you don't like it, I'll shoot you myself, DO YOU GET ME! :guns

MEDIC!

It's why I like it. The propaganda-esque narrator, the OTT graphic as f**k slaughter, and a nubile Denise Richards.

If you don't like it, I'll shoot you myself, DO YOU GET ME! :guns

MEDIC!

Im doing my part

Finally got to se Dredd. Pretty good, and stuck closer the the charecter this time, Judge Anderson charecter also good. At least Dredd never took his helmet off unlike Stalone minutes into the original. 8/10

Was a good film, did exactly what it needed to do to restore faith in the character. Anderson was cracking to look at, especially in the "dream" sequence

Just a shame it didnt do as well at the cinema tho think its making up for that in DVD sales, despite the lack of features on the dvd...

Stranger Than Fiction (2006)

Watched this a couple of times now but it's always been one of my favourite films and some excellent casting

9/10

Oz The Great and Powerful

It was okay. Having Mila Kunis as a bad witch was a bad idea in my opinion. Still, a decent film. Also nice to see Zack Braff!

6/10

The Adjustment Bureau

Really enjoyed this film and loved the concept of it. I quite like Matt Damon as an actor too.

8/10

watched all six star wars with the gf

went episode 1-6 so ill rate return of the jedi

5/10

two words: fucking ewoks

Oz the Great and Powerful

Entertaining enough, though perhaps a wee bit long. Any film with Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis is worth sitting through though, and James Franco was hugely entertaining as the dodgy magician. 7/10 for me

Watched half of Fight Club last night before falling asleep. Second time I've watched it and the whole film is completely different. I don't know if it's better or worse, you don't have the twist but you see how characters act around other ones and it's just incredible. Without a doubt one of my favourite films.

You know it is not supposed to be twist. He explicitly says after rambling on about his insomnia "what if you could wake up another person" flash to Tyler. You are suppose to be watching his realisation that he is going insane, not trying to figure out who Tyler or the narrator really is.

Last film I watched was Requiem for a Dream. A headfuck of a film, nothing seems to go right for any of the characters even at the height of their summer the guy is still pawning his mother's TV to buy heroin. I liked the ticking clock motif that when eventually it ticked over to 6 the characters all hit rock bottom and were now essentially dead.

Argo

This film wasn't everything I expected it to be. It's one of the most tense films since The Hurt Locker, but on first viewing I don't think Argo comes close to it.

It's very authentic to its setting, from the soundtrack to the costumes and sets, but added to that is an injection of 21st century film, especially the sound, which was mixed and edited very well. I don't have nearly as many gripes with Ben Affleck behind the camera as I do with him in front of it, as a matter of fact like Eastwood I think he acts and directs best when he's doing both, but I really think the film's pacing could have been better; for a thriller it was noticeably slow on more than one occasion. Nothing wrong with the camerawork, which was top notch.

Acting-wise the film is simply a feast of talent. Affleck and Bryan Cranston work very nicely together, each of the hostages acts well, although their characters aren't as developed as they could have been, but it's a couple of old favourites who steal the whole show- Goodman and Arkin are an absolute treat, even if you don't like films like this it's almost worth watching just for those two. I had Alan Arkin on my 2012 Dead Pool, but he definitely isn't ready to go just yet.

Lastly, despite the Oscar I wasn't crazy about the adapted screenplay, some of the dialogue was great but it wasn't nearly as entertaining and consistent as its counterpart Original Screenplay winner. Then again, what is?

Good film, not a great Best Picture winner like I was hoping for, but enough to entice me to watch The Town.

7/10

I watched the latest adaptation of True Grit the other night a couple of weeks after having seen the John Wayne version. I really liked it on the whole. It felt like a much more mature and realistic approach to the story than the previous adaptation.

As much as it pains me to admit it, as I love Jeff Bridges and I normally can't stand John Wayne, I do prefer Wayne's performance as Rooster Cogburn. For a large part of this film Bridges take on Cogburn left me feeling cold and it was only towards the end that I began to like that take on the character. The young actress who plays Mattie Ross is outstanding though, I'd heard good things about her performance but even so I was still really impressed by her.

It's another really stunning looking film from Joel and Ethan Cohen.

8/10.

We Bought A Zoo

Cameron Crowe's most recent work: it isn't his best but it's still a great watch. Like always the dialogue in the screenplay is brilliant, it's the best thing about the film for me, and Rodrigo Prieto on camera gives the film some style, but apart from that not much stands out.

It's based on a reportedly real story of a father who is fed up of living in the city, plans to take his children to live in the countryside, and ends up buying a run-down zoo and overcoming problems galore to open it to the public, while trying to change his kids' lives for the better. Entertaining but predictable.

The players are a mixed bag: Scarlett Johansson was a bit of a disappointment, her role wasn't demanding and she didn't make the performance her own in any way. Matt Damon does goofy comedy rather well, we see a lot of him in the film and he plays the bumbling but good-hearted single dad brilliantly. But like I expect when you've got a top-quality screenplay, some of the bit-part acting is superb - J.B. Smoove was a stand-out for me as the estate agent, it's a small role but he absolutely nailed it; then there are the children, in particular Elle Fanning who keeps getting better and better, and Thomas Haden Church who never stops being a joy to watch, but one of my least favourite characters is the zoo safety inspector who is talked of as an embodiment of evil, but arrives on scene and is just a bit of a dick who does his job to keep the zoo safe, a half-baked villain.

The double "will-they-won't-they" romance works nicely in the context of the film, too.

That's all there is to it, really. A good family film, not suitable for all tastes, but despite its obvious flaws I quite liked it.

7/10

Oldboy

It's already a modern classic in both the east and the west, and I can see why. It's a disturbing but beautiful martial arts-mystery, dramatic and action-packed in equal abundance. Some elements of the film weren't to my liking but if you go with it, the results are very rewarding.

The first act depicts what a man would go through over 15 years in confinement very realistically: his confusion and anger drive him to do strange things, and gradually drive him insane. Then upon his release he starts the fightback for vengeance and goes looking for answers, and finds out a lot of crazy shit has been going on, with one of the best twists of the 21st century so far to boot- some people I know said they saw it coming and the clues did occur to me, but the film is so busy it managed to take my mind off it and completely surprise me with the reveal. After that it's gruesomely disturbing to watch but lead actor Min-sik Choi's work in those scenes is absolutely chilling.

Very nicely shot the whole way through: I loved the one-shot fight scene in particular, and a killer screenplay full of clever, often repeated lines. Great use of Vivaldi, too.

8/10