What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The original Total Recall is so much better than the remake. I thought that was just taken as fact?

Explain then. I've given my reasons above why the remake is better.

Only by people who think Judge Dredd, any Stallone film and Arnie film are amazing.

This. Since when did cheesy films that look awful when rewatching years later being acceptable for a film and make that film good?

When said film is fun. Total Recall doesn't look so bad that I take any notice. And I still enjoy it. I won't get into a remake vs original debate untill I've seen both, but both sides can take their "state as fact" style and f**k off with it.

Cool Runnings ( 1994 )

There are some movies that, if you haven't seen them, you're worried you just won't get the hype surrounding it. Cool Runnings is almost universally loved. So I had them worries. Thankfully it lived up to everything and more. There is absolutely nothing unlikeable in this movie and the climaz is just to die for.

10/10

Nope, it's much better than the original. The acting is vastly, vastly superior. Only Stone/Beckinsale's part of Lori would be up for contention, Farrell, Cranston, Biel, Nighy were all much better than their original versions.

As you'd expect with a film remade 20 years later, it looks an absolute tonne better. The effects, set pieces, props etc. It's just a lot better made.

I prefer the story more as well. Keeping it on Earth etc.

There was a few things that made more sense and improved the remake that weren't in the original;

Before Quaid/Hauser went into the Rekall machine, the technician in the remake (John Cho) mentioned what would happen if the fantasy they wanted impanted was a reality. That actually explains why the Rekall machine triggers his past life. That's never mentioned in original and it's a pretty crucial plot point.

The opening dream sequence sees Quaid dreaming about his past life. But the problem in the original is that he dies in it, it's not a memory it's literally a dream/made up event. That makes no sense. In the remake he dreams of an event that actually happened, it's a memory and it makes sense that the memory wipe didn't actually work and this memory slips through the cracks. It makes more sense to the story.

The original is cheesy and looking back(I watched it on Thursday night after I saw the remake during the day on Thursday) it looks like shit. I know that that's pretty common for 80s films but it's not excusable and it doesn't make a film any better.

Does the remake have a 3 tittied woman? If not, its a pile o shoite :)

Hereafter - 6/10. Matt Damon plays an unwilling psychic in this Clint Eastwood directed film. Was alright to pass the time while I munched my way through my dinner but nothing really happened in it.

Moneyball - 7.5/10. I dont know pretty much anything about baseball so quite a few things went over my head but I still appreciated the perfomances throughout this film and the pacing was spot on. If I knew more about baseball im sure my rating would've been higher.

Waynes World - 8/10

Genius, if you like classic rock (and the trivia/in jokes that go along with it) you will love it.

waynes-world-pizza-hut.jpg

Limitless - 6/10

Bradley Cooper takes a pill to unleash the full potential of his brain. Good solid film, nothing spectacular.

The Roomate 1/10

Watched this on Sky anytime last night, they may as well have called this Single White Female because it has the exact same idea and a virtually identical plot, even the characters have some of the same quirks from the original movie, dead sibling, jealous ex boyfriend, etc.

Pretty slow paced and predictable with a laughably obvious ending.

Only very slight redeeming feature is the presence of some seriously foxy leading ladies, would have been zero out of ten otherwise. Unfortunately there isnt even the slightest hint of any said hotties getting their tits out so loses one of the two points it had, so 1/10 & thats generous.

Yup, she makes an appearance just before he goes into the Rekall centre.

The warning before the film says something like "one instance of nudity" laugh.gif I think everyone knew what it was before it even happened!

yeah but absolutely no explaination of why she is there, just appears and thats it

The remake is no way better than the original. The special effects and visually yes is better but it just rumbles from one special effect to the next and you dont get to know the characters and really dont care what happens to them

North by Northwest (1959)

Never seen this before and I've seen it crop up in peoples all-time favorite movies and is considered a hollywood classic so thought I would give it a spin.

I liked how Hitchcock made himself part of the opeing credits where he tries to get on a bus - nice touch :lol:

Anyway, fairly enjoyable. Some great snappy dialogue, added a bit of humour as well with Thornhills mother and also the bourbon scene.

The more I think of it the more I enjoyed it actually. Cary Grant was excellent as was Eva Marie Saint

8/10

edit: Oh yeah, couldn't help but think of Eddie Izzards impression of James Mason every time he spoke. :lol:

Edited by Mik

She's a prostitute and he's in the red light district. unsure.gif

:lol: meant the 3 tits thing, there is no chat regarding mutuants or mutuantions and throughout the film no other mutuants. If they were going to use that needed to encoporate some kind of explaination. Too many times in the film you wonder if they expect you to know things from the original rather than explaining it

She's a prostitute and he's in the red light district. unsure.gif

:lol: meant the 3 tits thing, there is no chat regarding mutuants or mutuantions and throughout the film no other mutuants. If they were going to use that needed to encoporate some kind of explaination. Too many times in the film you wonder if they expect you to know things from the original rather than explaining it

It's a fair point, I did think that myself at the time. We had humans and robots, and that was it!

Indiana Jones and the last crusade

8/10

Fantastic family action adventure film, probably the pinnacle of the genre actually. Great actions sequences and stunts. Simple enough plot with some nice double crosses. Nazi baddies, great costumes. The sets and locations really set it apart and a lack of green screen CGI stuff (altho om sure some of it was 'remastered' just leave it be) was very refreshing.

Some really stupid stuff going on, but that adds to the charm. Brilliant film, better than raiders? Tough one to call.

Huh, never really thought about that.

The whole outside world is toxic so it's probably a result of that

You're talking minor stuff though, really irrelevant to the main story.

Wonderful film. I watched it quite recently for the first time in years.

Some of the older Hitchcock films are on Netflix. I watched The Lady Vanishes and Dial M For Murder - both are excellent.