What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Bourne Legacy

I enjoyed this, a good solid action / espionage thriller. It would have gotten a 7/10 but I'm a big fan of Jeremy Remner so he's worth an extra mark, so 8/10.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

Loved this, special effects were amazing. John Lithgow should get a lot of credit as he put in a great performance in the short time he had on screen. Serkis and Franco were brilliant as well, and Freida Pinto has got even hotter since Slumdog! :wub:

8/10

Can't wait for Dawn in 2014. :D

Keith Lemon: The movie

I despise Keith Lemon, however I promised a friend- who likes him- id go see this with him. It is honestly one of the worst movies Iv ever seen. Just unfunny, loud drivel. Reuses some of the Bo' Selecta Characters too really add to its shitness. We left after 30 minutes.

0/10

Eraser

Its an Arnie movie. This means that you are in for a good and ridiculous ride. A good story to put Arnie in. Some Brilliant one liners. However, there is one ridiculous plot hole, that despite it being an Arnie movie annoyed me a wee bit. Despite that its a solid 7.5/10

Idiocracy, watched it on saturday, basically a us soldier(of average intelligence) gets cryogenically frozen ,meant to be a year, but ends up waking up 500 years in the future,by this time the world has totally dumbed down and he discovers he is the most intelligent man on earthbiggrin.gif

not too bad, some quite funny gags thought the background scenery with the skyscrapers held together with duct tape was quite humerous.

6/10

watched the running man after it biggrin.gif Arnie is class with his terrible one liners -8/10

Just watched Drive, great film. Love how it's got such a typical Hollywood storyline but it's so dark it makes it completely different to all those films. Ryan Gosling is just a terrific actor; odd seeing Joan from Mad Men not in one of her typical dresses that she wears in Mad Men (tbh I didn't even recognise her at first). Sound track and effects are so good. 9/10

Barry Lyndon

Doing a bit of research for an article for GTG, so I've been getting my teeth into some Kubrick that I really ought to have seen, but until now I hadn't.

This film is astonishing- it's the film he made A Clockwork Orange to raise the funds for, and in all truth this is his real big budget epic (and worth mentioning that it's Scorsese's favourite Kubrick picture- watch this and then The Age Of Innocence). A lot of it didn't work for me; there are two or three parts where I felt it just drags and it feels like a long film to stay into, but it's definitely worth the persistence. It's in two parts so I took the opportunity to have an intermission in-between and think it definitely helped, the last scenes of Part 1 were rather boring. Part 2 is slow and steady with just the right amount of spectacle and makes for lovely viewing.

Technical talk- the cinematography is a marvel. Stunning location shooting, brilliantly lit and there's a lot of classic Kubrick camera movement to feast your eyes on. I read before watching that he wanted to shoot the actors in tableaux a lot to reflect the art of Lyndon's era and it's safe to say he got it bang on the money- some shots are just like paintings. I felt like an expert in zoom lenses by the end of the film, there's so much use of it.

I think you have to want to watch this film for the right reasons to enjoy it- its entertainment value is moderate but as a piece of filmmaking it's highly ambitious, admirable and rewarding. My mark is generous because there are lengthy parts but I can't take away the fact that technically it's simply breathtaking.

8/10

Edited by Albino Rover

A couple tonight...

The Raid: Redemption ( 2011 )

Everyone was going nuts about this. You can see why. This is one of the most spectacular action movies you're ever likely to see. The plot is a cracker and sets us up nicely for what's coming. Well, I say it sets us up nicely. I think it's hard to prepare for what's coming, even if you've seen all of the hype. At times brutal, at times shocking, and also very tense stuff when the action isn't going on. The villains of the piece are built brilliantly and you have a sense of dread when the cops head into the building. It's amazing.

9/10

REC 3: Genesis ( 2012 )

This isn't though. They took everything that made the first two movies brilliant and threw them in the bin. This one has a MUCH more comic overtone and some of the more comedy driven bits just don't work. Why change a formula that's working so well for you? There is some good stuff here though. The initial scenes when the outbreak is really taking off is great, and we get some more insight to what is actually going on. It isn't worth it to sit through this though.

3/10

A couple tonight...

The Raid: Redemption ( 2011 )

Everyone was going nuts about this. You can see why. This is one of the most spectacular action movies you're ever likely to see. The plot is a cracker and sets us up nicely for what's coming. Well, I say it sets us up nicely. I think it's hard to prepare for what's coming, even if you've seen all of the hype. At times brutal, at times shocking, and also very tense stuff when the action isn't going on. The villains of the piece are built brilliantly and you have a sense of dread when the cops head into the building. It's amazing.

9/10

Loved this film. The fight sequences in close quarters were great. Especially loved the "kill" with the broken door frame :lol:

and the wee mental guy kicking the crap out of everyone

Green Lantern 3/10

have a mate who does a podcast and Green Lantern was the last one to be done , Dont jump the shark, makes for good listening

Barry Lyndon (1975)

Finally got round to watching this, one of Kubricks less heralded fims.

Set in 18thC it begins in Ireland with the youthfull Redmond Barry (Ryan O'Neal) vying for the love of his cousin with ans English soldier (Leonard Rossiter, yep).

After a duel, he flees to Dublin and after being robbed, enlists in the Army for the 7 Years War. Deserts, joins the Prussian Army, hooks up with an Irish spy/gambler and cavorts around Europe.

After marrying for money, the rest of the film is about what a cad he has become and the ups and mainly downs that brings.

Long at a touch under 3 hours, it is excellantly shot (a couple of the duelling scenes are stunning) but the 2nd part of the story was not as entertaining as the first. I suppose that is the art of telling a tale of a life.

Leonard Rossiter is great :) , and shows what a good straight actor he could be. I am sure I have seeb him in other non-comedic roles but I just cannae mind what.

A solid 7/10, it would have been higher if 30/40 mins had been knocked off it.

The Hunger Games ( 2012 )

I'm not sure where the Twilight comparisons come in here. Can anyone shed some light on this? The Battle Royale comparisons are as clear as day and this movie can be just as heartless and brutal at times, even if it's not as purely bloody as said movie. This movie just isn't as interesting as that one though. There are good points. As I said, it can be ridiculously heartless at times and doesn't shy away from being violent. Also, the character of Katniss is pretty well done as well. Most of the other characters are fairly one dimensional which doesn't help matters. It's a fun ride and a good popcorn flick.

6/10