What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

In the last few days since I last posted I've watched:

Wrong Turn 4 (2011) - 6/10 Far better than the last two sequels, snowmobiles in horror films always lead to hilarious death scenes. :)

Jackie Chan's First Strike (1996) - 6/10 Jackie Chan in a funny hat beating up criminals, what's not to like?

Gulliver's Travels (2010) - 6/10 A former luchador that taught music at high school gets attacked by little people. Funny in parts, although Jack Black is the same person in EVERY film!

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 8/10 Decent, but not as good as the first two Nolan films in the franchise. Was boring in parts, especially the fight scenes with Bane which went on for ever and were just tedious fist fights.

Fair enough, a score is totally invalid but you know yourself when you put a film on almost straight away if it's a turkey on not. I tried watching a film on sky the other week, think it was called "don't look up"? Meant to be a horror. I think I managed about 15 mins before I turned it off as it was stinking. I'd happily give it a 0/10

Exactly. I was on a flight back from Vancouver last week (Air Transat, avoid if possible) and the plane only had TV's down the middle that everyone watched. I watched a minute of the start of some abomination starring The Rock called Journey 2 something or other and went back to my book.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 8/10 Decent, but not as good as the first two Nolan films in the franchise. Was boring in parts, especially the fight scenes with Bane which went on for ever and were just tedious fist fights.

I trust your rational judgement Salty, feared the hype couldn't be fully compensated and that sounds about right. I'll probably see it a couple of times, open-minded each time, but expecting to be slightly disappointed.

The Dark Knight Rises

A daring and brave effort from Nolan. It combines the best parts of the previous two films to give an incredible experience. Pfister is in top form here.

It does have it's flaws, so I won't give it full marks. That said, it has a fascinating plot. Some of the best characters the Nolan brothers have written are on show as well.

Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne performance is his best acting ever IMO. He offers so much. Hardy is Hardy: intense and displaying his obvious talent as an actor. Hathaway was surprisingly good, and I thought she was excellent. Oldman, Levitt and Caine all have scenes which show them at their best.

It will divide opinion though, more so than the two previous films which were almost universally appreciated (from my experience at least). My younger brother loved it - he's not really a fan of Batman or Nolan - but two of my mates weren't that impressed. One of them - who loved the previous two films - even launched a "critique" (his words not mine) on it:

Definite spoilers here!

He said there was no development of Bruce Wayne as a character. He argues that we don't see anything different in Bruce Wayne/Batman from any other Batman film.

He said the John Blake twist was irrelevant.

He said it was too long and the first hour without a man in a Batman costume was pointless.

Basically he didn't appreciate the parts of the film which made it so good!

9/10

(although take into account that I am one of the prominent Nolan fanboys on this site)

Edited by yoda

The fight scenes were nowhere near boring. :huh:

They were boring as f**k. Punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, Batman falls down, Batman gets back up, punch, punch, punch, for minutes on end.

Salty and yoda: as two of my most trusted reviewers on P&B based on what you have to say, it looks like I'll enjoy this but it won't sum up to the be-all-and-end-all everyone's been expecting. Glad to hear it's well-shot, I look forward to an advance on Inception, and that probably means yet another nomination for a Golden man for Wally!

Mystic River

One of Clint Eastwood's great films- murder mystery/drama with lots of very complex characters expertly performed by some supreme players- the two that won their Oscars deserve them fully. It's all about the plot- so well developed, and some amazing cinematography from Tom Stern that gets the camera right into the story.

Dark, dark, dark, but so fluent and engaging that you never feel uncomfortable watching.

8/10

Jindabyne (2008)

Saw this excellent Australian film about 3 years ago but watched it again on BBC2. The story is about 4 friends who head out on a fishing trip and find the body of an Aboriginal girl floating in the river. They decide to continue their trip and do not report the find till 3 days later. This decision creates a tense atmosphere and the film explores the various family relationships and the moral dilemmas they have. There are also some great sweeping views of the Australian landscape creating a sort of mystique similar to Picnic at Hanging Rock.

8/10

They were boring as f**k. Punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, Batman falls down, Batman gets back up, punch, punch, punch, for minutes on end.

You should probably stick to films like "Crocodile 4 - This Time It Eats An Alligator". I've heard that the intern who delivered water to the director's trailer was the same guy who filled up the producer's car on "Mega Piranha Attacks Giant Squid As MASSIVE Octopus Looks On", it sounds right up your street.

The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre - Never ever got round to seeing it before so plussed it a wee while back and watched it last night.....pretty tame compared to Horror films of today but it must have tightened a fair few sphincters back in the day - Pretty well made seeing as it cost peanuts to make

7/10

The Troll Hunter

Norwegian take on The Blair Witch Project, with mythical yeti-like beasts giving the film its name.

I watched it in Norwegian and subtitles rather than the dubbed version.

A college film crew follows round this rough n ready park ranger who hunts down the big beasties that move off isolated troll reserves. The effects are pretty good for what will be a low budget film. A wee bit tongue in cheek, but that only added to my enjoyment.

Well worth tracking it down on dvd, and I'd give it 7/10.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

King Kong (2005)

Looks really good (obviously, it got three Oscars for style over substance) but it's boring as hell and laughably bad at parts.

Naomi Watts is hot, as always, and the best bit was her doing vaudeville for Kong, and he finds it funny and keeps poking her to make her fall over. :lol:

5/10

Edited by SaltyTON

I watched the film ROLE MODEL on ch 4 last night , not bad had the guy from American Pie and McLovin from Superbad in it , some funny moments ,6.5/10

Yeah I saw this. As these types of generic comedies go it had funny moments and the characters were likeable enough.

I saw them both available on sky and have absolutely no interest in either of them. Real Steel in particular looks terrible.

I'm very on top of my Sky+ right now and I thought what the hell? Big mistake. Next week's selection is absolutely pish as well.

Fright Night (remake) - Despite the fact it was a remake and Colin Farrell was the vampire in this one it was actually pretty good, David Tennant in particualr was great in his role 7/10

Drive - Had been recommended before and my mate even has the scorpion jacket.. Dont ask. Tho the film itself played out well tho it was hard at first to relate or get to know the character seemed very closed off and detached from everything. That said some really brutual scenes and a good watch 8/10