What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Amazing Spider-Man

Wasn't too fussed about seeing this but my girlfriend wanted to go so I went as well and I must say I wasn't disappointed. I much prefered it to the Tobey Maguire films. Andrew Garfield was excellent as was Rhys Ifans. I'm actually looking forward to the next film.

8/10

The Pledge (2001) - Extremely well acted and pretty gripping. Read afterwards that the studio ran into money problems and ordered the film to wrap early. That made a lot of sense to me, as Jack Nicholson's character seemed to change very quickly. Quite like Sean Penn as a director and Nicholson seems to work well with him, based on this and 'The Crossing Guard'. Amazing cameo from Mickey Rourke who was completely down and out at the time IRL.

7.5/10

Human Resources (1999) - Earlier film of director Laurent Cantet, who went on to gain critical acclaim with 'The Class'. Young lad returns to his home town to take a white collar internship at the factory where his family work. Interesting.

8/10

Blue Valentine (2010) - Michelle Williams' character was a total kunt IMO. Good film.

8.5/10

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Far better than the Raimi version and getting back to the way that he was in the comics, with robotics controlling his web-slinging abilities.

Garfield is far better as Parker than Maguire ever was, and Stone was more believable as his girlfriend than Dunst was.

8/10

=======================

Rohtenburg (2006)

Known as Grimm Love in the UK.

I honestly can't give this a fair ranking, I'm still a little shaken up by it, so it obviously did what it set out to do.

It's about an American student writing her thesis about Oliver Hartwin, who we will all remember as Armin Meiwes, the German cannibal who advertised on the internet for his victim. It's shot from her searching around his old house, but in every room we see flashbacks to the life and story of Hartwin.

Then she posts a message on the internet to get hold of the video he recorded as he murdered and consumed his victim.

The film was banned in Germany for a while but no longer, and has an 18 certificate despite nothing obvious happening on screen. It really managed to capture the mood of Meiwes and Bernd Jurgen Brandes.

9/10 - it wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it certainly managed to achieve a very dark and sinister feeling without relying on gore, bad language or nudity.

No Country For Old Men (2007)

Have been meaning to see this for ages and finally got round to it last night. Such strong performances throughout, with Javier Bardem coming across perfectly as one terrifying character. The conclusion wasn't what I expected at all but I'm glad about that. An easy 9/10.

Shallow Grave (1994)

I hadn't seen this for years and I'd managed to forget loads of it. Ecclestone is brilliant in particular. 8/10.

John Carter

Well this was a pile of shite, I wanted to see this in the pics but after so many bad reviews I decided to wait and download it. I got round to watching this yesterday and it just went on and on and on and made no sense at all. I'm gutted as the trailor made this look like it was going to be a brilliant blockbuster but sadly not.

I'll give it 3 because the effects are actually OK and the chap playing John Carter is alright too.

3/10

I hardly post on this any more.

Recently, I've watched:

Clerks (1994) 8/10

Clerks II (2006) 8/10

Mallrats (1995) 8/10

good choices

Ultraviolet:

Futuristic guff with Milla Jovovich. I managed SEVEN minutes before turning it off. Utter gash.

0/10.

hmmm seven minutes is not really giving anything a chance

Kevin Smith's Red State, mad Christian extremists holding youngsters captive in their church, Special agent John Goodman attempts to bring the chaos to an end.

Good fun 7/10

good choice!

I have children. As a result I last went to the cinema about four years ago before yesterday!

Circumstances left us a free childless saturday outwith the football season yesterday so we decided to go see a film at the Carlisle multi screen cinema. Despite my suggestion of Men in Black 3 we ended up seeing 'Rock of Ages' as Mrs SD used her veto. Anyone seen it?

Not really sure what to make of it but ultimately I really enjoyed it. The plot is really cheesy of course and just a loose excuse to string together some chosen songs but it's nowhere near as bad as Mamma Mia is in that respect. I loved the music though. I was really into hard rock stuff in the 80's and early 90's and it took me right back. Great sounds cleverly worked into a plot. :D

I'd never heard of the two leads before but they play their roles well. The girl is a country and western singer apparently rather than an actress to trade. Alec Baldwin is good as the club owner, Tom Cruise is very good as the self obsessed rock God but annoyingly the film is stolen for me by Russell Brand who I can't normally be doing with but is brilliant as a Brummie second in command at the club.

Would love a soundtrack album with the featured songs sung by original artists rather than by the actors and actresses.

Wasn't brilliant, the plot is far too think for that, but I enjoyed it when I didn't really expect to and I'd certainly watch it again.

I think Russell Brand is awesome, Get him to the greek is good anaw.

Recent stuff I have watched.

Project X

Utter guff, a complete lot of shite

Drive

Thought is was rubbish too, maybe it deserves another go but I didn't enjoy.

Prometheous

It was decent, very unsure as to why it was so long, I've a feelin' that the trilogy of these movies could be cut into one 3h3mins movie but instead we are gonna get a 9hour 5 year pishfest

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Dollars (2007)

Documentary following Steve Wiebe attempting to defeat the high score for the arcade game Donkey Kong held by gaming supremo Billy Mitchell since 1980.

Billy Mitchell holds high scores for various arcade games, and is celebrated as a bit of a god in the gaming community. He comes across as a smug twat, and isn't shy of reminding us how awesome he is.

Steve Wiebe is presented as a nearly man - talented in many areas, but never achieving the success he dreamed of. When he is laid off from his job, he decides to go for the top score on DK to keep him busy and set himself a goal.

Film does a great job of having you root for Wiebe and have him crush Mitchell's high score. Definitely recommend sticking on your lovefilm/netflix list if you're looking for something to watch.

7/10

Watched Quadrophenia last night and Human Traffic tonight.

Quadrophenia was good and I'd probably enjoy it more if I watched it again. 7/10

Human Traffic was decent but not as good as I thought. Enjoyed parts of it though. I was going to give it 7/10 but then it wasn't as good as Quadrophenia, so it gets a 6/10. I think it's better than a 6 though.

In gearing up for The Dark Knight Rises I have went back and watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight again.

Batman Begins 9/10

A superb film and an excellent reincarnation of the Batman series, sets everything up very well. Up until that point it was the best superhero (comic) film ever made. Surpassed in those stakes only by Iron Man and The Dark Knight (probably TDKR too)

The Dark Knight 9.5/10

Must have been well over a year since I last watched it and I had actually forgotten how much I love this film. The entire film is just so gripping and immersing, and just keeps you hooked. Then there are the performances, Eckhart as Dent is good, as is Bale again as Batman/Wayne and Oldman and Caine as Gordon and Alfred. But the film is stolen by Ledger, who is just amazing as the joker.

My third favourite film. I have high expectations of TDKR, so I hope it doesn't disappoint.