What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Um...what the f**k? Completely insane but quite enjoyable all the same. Tilda Swinton is great, the guy who plays Kevin is pretty great at being weird and shit. John C Reilly is good as well. Ending is weird, although the trailer I saw in the cinema before it came out theatrically gave that away(not all of it mind).

Good film to spend a Sunday night watching, not sure I'll be going back in too much of a hurry though. 6/10

I liked most of the film and the way it was shot for the first half or so when it jumped around chronologically. It became a bit too straightforward near the end for me and the climax was a bit of a let-down. Tilda Swinton is excellent though.

agree with everything you say sir - hats off to riley who i never would have thought had the acting capabilities for such a role

I'm watching Psycho for the first time just now and, even though i know what happens in it and what the twist is, i can tell i'm still going to find it creepy as f**k.

Thankfully i have the nice sign-language man in the corner to keep me company.

I'm sure there's a joke in there about not being able to hear him scream.

ETA: I managed to miss the famous shower scene and what's annoying me the most about it is that i missed my fellow companions interpretation of the scream.

Edited by bullywee

We Need To Talk About Kevin

Um...what the f**k? Completely insane but quite enjoyable all the same. Tilda Swinton is great, the guy who plays Kevin is pretty great at being weird and shit. John C Reilly is good as well. Ending is weird, although the trailer I saw in the cinema before it came out theatrically gave that away(not all of it mind).

Good film to spend a Sunday night watching, not sure I'll be going back in too much of a hurry though. 6/10

Just watched this there. Didn't know much about it beforehand, so I was not prepared for the experience at all! It almost plays out like a horror movie, and you know whats coming, but you really dont want it to.

Watched Moneyball at the weekend.

Quite good, always enjoy a sports related movie and wife couldn't complain as she got to look at Brad Pitt for a couple of hours.

7/10

Also watched the Hollywood version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

No where near as good as the book but I felt it stayed more to the plot of the book than the original Swedish version of the film did.

6/10

There was a couple of momments in We Need to Talk... that got me. The entire movie seems to ask "what did he do exactly?" and while one thing was predictable, the other was bad. EDIT: I mean that in a good way.

Trust ( 2010 )

Movie about a girl who meets an older guy online and gets raped when they meet. It's been a pretty big subject and it's incredibly well handled. No overly dramatic plot twists and no fucking about with the issues at hand, and the performances are top notch.

8/10

Edited by DomDom

Not been on here for a while. Here's the majority of films I caught during the Edinburgh International Film Festival, at least one of which is out already and some others are out very soon, I think.

Killer Joe - 8/10

Dark, nasty and very funny in bits, it certainly divides audience opinion (especially the fried chicken scene). I really enjoyed it. If the acting in it wasn't so strong it would be a different thing altogether but the entire cast are impressive.

Lovely Molly - 2/10

The eagerly awaited (by whom exactly?) new horror from 'Mr Blair Witch' Eduardo Sánchez. Vaguely interesting for the first few minutes or so, it soon plummets to the depth it maintains for the rest of the sorry mess. Stupid and not remotely tense.

Jackpot - 5/10

The first thing Jo Nesbo (of Headhunters etc) has written directly for the screen. A thriller/comedy with a lot of violence, I didn't find it particularly thrilling or particularly violent. Then I didn't like Headhunters very much either. At least there were some laugh out loud moments.

Berberain Sound Studio - 8/10

70s set oddity starring Toby Jones as a sound man who goes to Italy to work on an Italian horror and then finds his whole life getting weird. Can't say much about this to avoid spoilers but the first half is fairly straightforward and provides a lot of beautifully observed laughs. The second have flips right out and thus loses quite a lot of the audience. I enjoyed that part as well though, for me, the ending was pretty unsatisfying.

V/H/S - 3/10

It's a fair bet one or two people that frequent this thread will take a look at this one as it's five short stories all based on the POV/found footage genre. These stories are also linked with a further story using the same technique. Unfortunately most of it is crap. I quite liked one of the stories but the entirety was tedious in the extreme and a final nail in the coffin for this genre, in my mind at least, instead of the revitalisation some people claimed it would be.

The Imposter - 8/10

Documentary on a bizarre French guy who fooled (or did he?) a Texan family into believing he was the son that had disappeared four years previously. When he put the act on, the guy was 23 and the son would have been 16. The number of people he fooled is astonishing. It's truly fascinating and well worth a watch.

God Bless America - 6/10

Written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait, it's an in-your-face violently comedic assault on American popular culture. A real crowd pleaser with some stuff that certainly tries to push the limits, it all got a bit too cartoony and ridiculous for my liking.

California Solo - 5/10

Robert Carlyle as a washed up Britpop musician now living in rural California. I just couldn't go with it at all, though I suppose I've seen far worse. Certain lines made me really cringe. The audience loved it.

Brave - 6.5/10

The pixar Scottish movie. I don't watch a lot of these but it was OK for what it was. Someone rightfully pointed out that aside from the scenery and adopting the colloquialisms and clan divisions, the story could have been set just about anywhere. I doubt very much it will take a place alongside any Pixar classics.

I liked most of the film and the way it was shot for the first half or so when it jumped around chronologically. It became a bit too straightforward near the end for me and the climax was a bit of a let-down. Tilda Swinton is excellent though.

Just watched this there. Didn't know much about it beforehand, so I was not prepared for the experience at all! It almost plays out like a horror movie, and you know whats coming, but you really dont want it to.

I totally expected:

him to have shot up the school as the trailer for it showed the clip of the woman asking Swinton if her son went to that school but I was totally caught out by him shooting the dad and daughter. That came out of nowhere.

Skew 4/10 one of these cheap camcorder road trio gone wrong films dragged out with poor acting and script but a coupleof shit yourself moments

The queen 7/10 not surehow I ended up watching this but I thought Helen mirren was brilliant

There was a couple of momments in We Need to Talk... that got me. The entire movie seems to ask "what did he do exactly?" and while one thing was predictable, the other was bad. EDIT: I mean that in a good way.

Trust ( 2010 )

Movie about a girl who meets an older guy online and gets raped when they meet. It's been a pretty big subject and it's incredibly well handled. No overly dramatic plot twists and no fucking about with the issues at hand, and the performances are top notch.

8/10

good choice - still cant quite believe ross from friends directed such a little gem of a film

Carnage ( 2011 )

Well, isn't this a wee cracker? It's essentially a belting cast of Christophe Waltz, Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet and John C. Reilly in a room. Two kids have been in a fight and their parents meet to talk it over and it turns into... well... carnage. Waltz is the highlight here, and his utterly hilarious with some of the stuff he comes out with, even though he is clearly a bit of a p***k. All of them just unravel. Plenty of dark humour in here and plenty of cracking dialogue.

9/10

Pulp Fiction - 8/10

First time I'd ever seen it. Was good but I'd disagree with my mate who recommended it to me as the best film ever.

Borat - 9/10

Absolutely hilarious. Would've given it 10 if not for the scenes in the Jewish couple's B&B and the antique shop which I didn't like.

Burke and Hare (2010)

Loads of British comedy performers in here appearing when you least expect them. I had hoped there'd be more of Bill Bailey but he was only really in it at the start and conclusion. :(

It was the usual Simon Pegg stuff, him and Gollum worked quite well together as the notorious murderers.

It was fun, a lot of crap acting but you didn't really expect anything else with comedians...

7/10