What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Saw the French film "Polisse" last week, a fairly gritty look at the Paris cops who deal with abuse of kids. Having seen a few decent French cop films recently, I was struck at how physical they get with the bad guys. This film is no different.

A wee bit uncomfortable at times, but definitely worth making the effort to see it. 7 out of 10.

Watched "Chopper" tonight, the bio of the Oz maddie, Mark "Chopper" Read. Just as good as the first time I saw it. Played with an eye for a laugh, which broke up how effin crazy the guy was. 7 out of 10. Watch this, then team it up with the hilarious spoofs of him on YouTube. Chopper's weather report is hilarious.

Apocalypse Now

I'm not rating it because I just didn't get it at all.

Just.....what? Right over my head.

One of the best films ever made. Futility of war, destruction of a generation etc etc. Watch it again.

Plus "Charlie don't surf!" - classic!

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Airplane 9/10

There are 2 fantastic movie channels on Justin tv at the moment, back to the 80s and stoner movies, the latter had airplane on the other night. Just sittin laughing my ass off in my empty house, absolutely brilliant film. Sadly my internet cut off before the end, so didn't catch it all, but if you've not seen it for a while, I'd recommend it. I love Leslie neilson

Killer Joe - 8/10

This could be a 9 actually. It's new so I won't say much, but this is very much worth seeing. Not one to bring your mother along to, though. Nor is it a first date kind of film.

The Last House on the Left 9/10 - Excellent thriller horror.

Craven or Iliadis version?

=================

Watched a couple of films on the SyFy channel, so you know not to expect any sort of masterpiece and just take them for what they are.

First up was a family adventure called Snowmageddon (2011)

About a family in Normal, Alaska who have a snow globe left on their front doorstep, it has a replica of their town within and anything that happens in the snow globe happens in real life.

Based on the idea of Pandora's Box, and in order to save the day they must return the snow globe to whence it came (of course a formally dormant volcano).

An old story, but a nice little twist on it and the SyFy warning that this next film will contain scenes of panic was pretty funny.

Good wee family film with effects that were far superior to their usual efforts.

7/10

Next up came Lost City Raiders (2008) starring James Brolin.

The year is 2048, and much of the world is underneath the sea following an apocalyptic event.

We've got the catholic church in the New Vatican trying to track down a sceptre which once belonged to Moses that could lower the global water levels.

It's utter nonsense, but it was quite funny at times.

5/10

Edited by SaltyTON

Deliverence - 8/10

Fantastic film but I just couldn't get into it and I found the second half quite dull.

American Reunion - 8/10

I feel bad giving it the same rating as Deliverence but I really enjoyed it. Sean Wiliam Scott is excellent as Stifler and i think the film would;ve been shite without him.

I watched Poseidon last night, and it was essentially Titanic but less romance and more action. It wasn't very good though. 5/10 or something.

I also watched The Room on Friday but there's a thread for that. A solid 10/10.

"Well howdy doody there Mr Al, I'm a gormless c**t with a shit Southern accent"

Aye his accent is pure shit, and his acting is about the same but I dunno it was a decent random watch. Doubt i'll watch it again though.

X-Men: First Class - 8/10. Best X-Men film of the series, really enjoyable film and a brilliant cameo by Hugh Jackman.

Instantly followed by Pulp Fiction, nuff said - 9/10. John Travolta is amazing in this film, everyone is in fact.

Deja Vú - 8/10. 'Bout the fifth time I've seen this film and enjoy it every time.

A Dangerous Method

This is the adaptation of a play on the relationship between Sigmund Freud (Viggo Mortensen), Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender) and Sabina Spielrein (Kiera Knightley). Spielrein is played by Kiera Knightly, is a patient of Jung's who is presented with a case of 'hysteria'. Through her treatment by Jung she improves her condition and helps Jung advance his theories. Following the intervention of Otto Gross (Vincent Cassel), a wayward psychoanalyst, a sexual relationship develops betwween Jung and Spielrein, violating social norms. The film captures the effect of this on all parties.

Overall, I enjoyed the film but didn't think it lived up to Cronenberg's recent work. It felt a lot like a play, there were a lot of scenes featuring long conversations. Obviously this is a large part of the story given that it's a film about psychoanalysis but the overall effect is to reduce the cinematic experience. The acting is tremendous, as you'd expect from a cast as high quality as this. Knightley was particularly impressive as the 'muse'. It's so difficult to play mental illness or disturbance without spilling into parody (going 'full retard' as Tropic Thunder would have it) and I thought Knightly played the early scenes where she has been institutionalised very well and impressively portrayed the development of her character. She deserves a lot of credit, as do Fassbender and Mortensen who are excellent. I don't think any of the performances hit the heights Mortensen did in History of Violence and the film lacks the visceral nature of Eastern Promises.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Sidney Lumet's last film is a dark, dark crime film that tells the story of the robbery of a small jewelry store and it's consequences. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke play brothers who, through a variety of circumstances, require money. Hoffman is a drug user who has been embezzeling money from his company and Hawke is behind on child support for his daughter and facing crippling fees from the private school he has her attend. Hoffman, faced with an IRS audit in his firm, pulls his brother into a plot to rob their parents small jewellry store, reasoning that no-one will get hurt and the insurance pay out will ensure no-one loses out. Hawke is to carry out the robbery but, unbeknownst to his brother, pulls a small time crook in to carry out the crime causing the 'victimless crime' to claim a life and then initiate a spiral into madness for all concerned.

I saw this at the cinema when it came out but watched it again on TV last night. It's not an uplifting film, of the four main characters, three are portrayed as deeply flawed, selfish and unsympathetic. However, the tightness of the storyline and the quality of the dialogue make it a gripping watch. The story is filmed out of chronological order, which means you can see the seeds of the brothers failures being planted knowing how things will turn out. The acting is impressive, with Hoffman in particular portraying a failed, broken man brilliantly. Well worth watching.

Thin Ice (2011) 6/10

Could have been soooooooo much better.

At times it had shades of Fargo, snow bound Winsconsin, body to dispose of etc etc, but really let down with a shitty 'lets tie all the threads together in 45 secs'' ending.

Good cast included Greg Kinnear as a shmarmy insurance salesman in financial trouble, who takes advantage of an old codger(Alan Arkin) when he realises the old boy has a valuable violin.

Shame about the ending, but beatifuly shot at times.