What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Grey

A good bit deeper than your usual action flick and all the better for it. Some of the scenes - in particular the plane crash - are outstandingly well done and some are downright unnerving. The wolves are easily identified as computerised though and Dermot Mulroney is badly underused but overall an enjoyable film. 7/10

1339250189[/url]' post='6317053']

Super (2010)

Low budget Superhero spoof type film about a fat guy who after Kevin Bacon steals his ex-junkie wife (played by Liv Tyler) takes it upon himself to be a vigilante, then he gets Ellen Page as his assistant (she later rapes (for want of a better word) him lol, lucky b*****d!)

The quote on the box was actually true for once, it really was better than Kick-Ass.

7/10

No it wasn't, not even close. Some funny bits but overall pretty poor.

1339251322[/url]' post='6317100']

I think it's a bit misleading for them to compare the two films as they're pretty different in approach to the whole Superhero obsession. I like how fucked up in the head Ellen Page is.

Ellen page is good, I'll give you that, but I fucking hate that bloke out the shitty US version of The Office.

The Social Network -

shall we say a rather glib attempt to cover the creation of Facebook and why some friends became billionaires and why some other friends didnt. Much like social networking this looks good but has a hollow heart. There is some sterling work going on from the actors but its all just so inconsequential in a film that is clearly tailored to actually not give any answers, as the final scene with the jury selector reveals the whole point of the movie - who cares about the truth when I can get you to think the way I want without actually telling you anything.

Its technically well done as you'd expect from the director of Alien3 and Seven and the writer of The West Wing but its all gloss and no substance. And the Sorkin cameo is one of those smug pieces of film making bullshite that should have been vetoed at the ideas stage.

And I'm never sure why I'm supposed to care about a character who is too stupid to read the contract he is presented with before signing.

7/10 - could do better, more a facemash than a facebook.

Glengarry Glen Ross

Watching it again. Close to a perfect film. Master class from Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin and Kevin Spacey.

'f**k YOU, that's my name.'

9.5/10.

Edited by JamboMikey

Ellen page is good, I'll give you that, but I fucking hate that bloke out the shitty US version of The Office.

You are a terrible person, Rainn Wilson is amazing!

=========================================

Magnolia, it's weird and it's really long and tbh, not a lot happens. It's just got about 6 or 7 different arcs going on and then some of them sorta merge. Although it was made in 1999, there's a good deal of star power going on, you've got Tom Cruise, Julianne Moore, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, William H Macy, Phillip Baker Hall, John C Reilly and Michael Bowen who I recognized. Good, solid acting from them but I felt it dragged on a bit. And then something happens in the third act that is pretty fucking weird, I dunno, it was just a weird event and while it was used to decent effect, it just felt misplaced in the film.

Probably a 6/10, Tom Cruise was excellent and the rest were as well but the story was average.

I watched the first Sherlock Holmes last night, thought it was good fun and well written. RDJ and Law were both really good and complimented each other perfectly. A solid 8/10

Murder-Set-Pieces (2004)

Banned in the UK for reasons I don't really understand, unless just generally being shit and banning it to protect the dignity of horror legends Tony Todd and Gunnar Hansen are valid enough reasons for the BBFC.

The only positives were the cameos by the guys I just mentioned, their appearance on the screen was the bright spark of this crap.

2/10

Corialanus (2011) 9/10

Directed by and starring Ralph Fiennes, who goes toe to toe with Gerard Butler in a reworking of Shakespeare thang, but set in modern day Rome, against the backdrop of riots and Civil war.

Very well done, and reminds me of a similar reworking of MacBeth 15? odd years ago with Sean Pertwee, but with a major film budget.

Not a big Shakespeare fan but enjoyed it immensley.

Full Metal Jacket. 8/10.

Always will be a brilliant film although the first section of it is obviously the best bit. I always feel heartbroken for Pyle when they leather him with soap bars. b*****ds.

The Secret in Their Eyes ( 2009 )

You can see why this was an Oscar winner. Pretty simple stuff. Former legal counselor wants to write about an old case, and winds up going through it in his head. There's nothing outlandish about this. It's all pretty minimal and pretty well carried out. The climatic scenes are handled very well. Just enough to captivate. For once though, I think it could have done with a wee bit more drama, but at the same time, that probably would have been out of touch with the entire mood of the movie.

9/10