What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Attack the Block - tremendous film. My mates saw it when it came out and raved about it (saying it was the best film ever made, one of their opinions is usually pretty valid as well). While I don't agree to that extent, it was still great. Funny but had the right amount of suspense to keep you on edge.

Pretty solid acting, very well made(script, shooting etc). All round a great film. 8/10

Battleship 4/10

Terrible Hollywood blockbuster, US navy sanctamonious pish. Aliens attack, the US and japanese navy team up and defeat them. I'm presuming that they hired actual veterans because the vets couldn't act for shit in the small parts they had. There's absolutely no need for this to go over 2 hours. It was the classic aliens/antagonists completely invincible at first, then become easy to kill later in the film. Not to mention the ridiculous teleport plothole which sees the love interest, science geek and injnured soldier with prosthetic legs escape the mountain top which gets blown to smitherenes in a matter of minutes. *sigh*

There were a few funny moments in it, and some pretty decent effects.Trying to think if I'm being too generous with a 4....Na, thats probably about right, it's not that offensive to watch, just really long, predictable and cheesy.

Could have probably given you the same review from the trailer tbh. This is exactly how I would have guessed it would be. Rihanna = Average singer, not bankable actress. Looks so predictable and obvious (like a shite independance day is how I put it at the time) Safe to say I'll trust your judgement and not ever watch it

The Town. 7/10

Ben Affleck (lol) directed this and it was alright. Ben is a Boston bank robber who follows a burd they took hostage during a robbery. Romance ensues and although predictable there are a few good performances and a few moments where you lean forward in your chair.

Brick - 8/10

Starts out pretty weird and tough to understand (the characters keep talking about lunch and the Netflix description didnt go into detail of what the film was actually about :ph34r:). Things do become clear fairly soon in though and it starts to flow a bit better. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (The tall skinny one from Inception), Emelie de Ravin (Claire from Lost) and Nora Zehetner (loads of TV shows including Mad Men (Dons Neighbour between marriages) and Heroes (Eden, the girl Sylar fancied)) all star and are very good from the off. The plot is great, very engrossing, and the way it's shot is interesting and holds your full attention (Gus van Sant-esque feel about it at some stages).

I highly recommend you watch it if you get the chance (Would've marked it a 9 but it seemed to fly by, maybe couldve been a little longer)

House of Wax - 5/10

Your typical American horror a group of teens break down on route to a football game and end up exploring a seemingly abonded town with a large wax museum. One or two decent scenes of brutality but apart from that it was pretty meh.

The Woman in Black ( 2012 )

I don't think I've ever seen a movie quite so reliant on jump scares in a while. However, thanks to the atmosphere, you can kinda get into it and some of them are effective. The real highlights come when they heighten the creep factor though. The plot is dull though, and there's only so much smoke and mirrors you can add to it to make it seem better. I'm willing to point the thumbs a wee bit up because it's effective a lot of the time.

6/10

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

It looks amazing, but in reality it's fucking cack! A bad episode of CSI mixed in with action scenes...

You can't really go wrong with Downey Jr. but when the rest of the cast are horrendous and you have Guy Ritchie intent on trying to abuse the third dimension, he really has no chance in this film.

4/10

Chronicle ( 2012 )

Too many people saying too many movies will reinvent genres. Apparently this will do it for found footage movies. It won't of course. It doesn't stop this movie being a whole lot of fun though. It's basically about three guys who get superpowers and then one of them goes off the rails a bit. While the first two thirds of the movie are slow, they're pretty crucial to what comes at the climax. And what a climax it is. I can't remember being this involved watching the climax to a movie since the first time I seen Cop Land. Could have been higher had the first two thirds did all they could. It's still a hell of a ride though.

8/10

Idiocracy - 8/10

One of these comedy films that relies almost exclusively on stupidity for its laughs. Although I'm not usually into this type of film, there was something different about it, I enjoyed it and would definitely watch it again, I think the idea is to indulge in the ridiculousness (Terry Crews as the president is frickin hilarious). Definitely worth a watch

Submarine - 10/10

Really lovely wee film, has that true indy feel to it. Really it's faultless in my opinion, about 50% of it genuinely makes you cringe, but thats all part of its charm. Some cracking lines in there aswell ("Don't call him a ninja Oliver, thats racist" "But he's white...." :lol:)

Yeah I watched the road as well I normally like survivor movies but this one was just too bleak and hopeless. 4/10

Apocalypse of the dead. A Serbian zombie film where half the actors speak English including zombie royalty ken foree and the rest are hideously dubbed. Its fairly pish 3/10

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Made decent use of the darkness of Grimm, keeping it in the fantasy genre without going all the way into the horror realm.

The dwarves were made up of some well known faces like Nick Frost and Bob Hoskins; with the main negative point being Kristen Stewart, she really is a dreadful actress. It took until the last scene before she showed some sort of emotion (a slight smile).

I'm not really sure why Thor (Chris Hemsworth) played the Huntsman with a Scottish accent... although it was pretty decent as foreigners pretending to be Scottish go!

7/10

Edited by SaltyTON

I'm not really sure why Thor (Chris Hemsworth) played the Huntsman with a Scottish accent... 7/10

Does his character not have a drinking problem? They probably flipped a coin between us and the Irish

No Country For Old Men (2007)

The Coen Brothers are my favourite directors, so I was never going to give this a bad rating anyway :P However, this film is amazing. I can't do it justice in words. Some of the scenes are so intense, you can't predict what will happen. The character of Anton Sigur (sp?) is one of the best in the Coen Bros. film history. Very, very enjoyable film. I would say this is their second best, their best is The Big Lebowski, without a shadow of doubt.

9/10

Edited by DAFC.

Does his character not have a drinking problem? They probably flipped a coin between us and the Irish

Yeah he does, they used up the Irish on one of the dwarves. Have to have a Celtic balance in Hollywood, remember everyone in America believes they are of Scottish/Irish ancestry.

Prometheus

Remarkably underwhelming and in many ways bland. Even allowing for the fact it's a sci-fi film, there's too much nonsense in this. I won't bother being specific about the problems as some of them amount to biggish spoilers but I felt it was a waste of 2 hours and surely the end of any Alien related films (until the first one is inevitably rebooted).

2.5/10