What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Only avengers film I haven't seen now is The Hulk - which one should I be watching? The Eric Bana one is on sky tv guide.

Never watch the Eric Bana one. It's truly horrific!

Watched Grave Encounters. Expected a cheap mock of Paranormal Activity with hundreds of "sudden scares" and beasts jumping out at you. Pleasantly surprised it was more of a psychological horror and apart from a few obvious moments (bathtub, tunnel, doctor) you don't really expect what's going to happen. Actually preferred this to PA and would recommend it for cheap chills. Braw!

7/10

Aye, there's a lot of cheap chills in there, but they work because they're just thrown at you at such a rapid pace, it doesn't give you time to think about where the next one is coming from. The last half hour was utterly incredible.

A Lonely Place to Die ( 2011 )

A bunch of people are hiking in Scotland, and come across a young girl buried alive. Suddenly, people are trying to kill them. It's tense once it gets going, but the character build before they head out is just a complete waste of time. We don't get anything close to attached to any of the characters, which means what happens to them is of no consequence, but the film is still very good thanks to the relentless actions of the pursuers ( they don't waste time, unlike so many film characters in their position ), and the constant action once it gets going, even if it isn't really an action movie.

8/10

Nup, the Eddie Norton one is the Avengers-related one. But they recast him Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk.

I wish they had kept Eddie Norton as the hulk in this one :(

Watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as a few people here recommended it, would have to say it was very good and now im going to recommend it.

Also the girl who plays Harmony is lovely.

^^^^^^^^

As I keep saying 8)

Edited by the jambo-rocker

JFK - 8/10.

Was FAR, FAR too long. I drifted in and out of this flick something fierce. But the parts where I was paying attention were really good. It might've helped that I'm fascinated by the JFK assassination. Solid cast who all delivered.

^^^^^^^^

As I keep saying 8)

Which part, that the film is really good or that the girl is lovely?

Either way you appear to have good taste. I may have to check out any other films you recommend.

Which part, that the film is really good or that the girl is lovely?

Either way you appear to have good taste. I may have to check out any other films you recommend.

Both. Kilmar and Downey Jr. playing off each other, Latin-American Joe Pesci and obviously Michelle Monaghan's knockers.

Steady now, you'll make me blush! :D

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a top quality movie. I'm a huge mark for Robert Downey Jr. though. Which makes my huge dislike for Iron Man 2 all the more disturbing. That movie has to be the worst kind of shite.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

I had previously given this 8/10, but have no idea why... whilst it looks really good, it's tedious nonsense about flying monks with nothing remotely interesting about it!

5/10 - as the fight scenes and the cinematography are good... but not worth the credit the Academy gave it!

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

I had previously given this 8/10, but have no idea why... whilst it looks really good, it's tedious nonsense about flying monks with nothing remotely interesting about it!

5/10 - as the fight scenes and the cinematography are good... but not worth the credit the Academy gave it!

I do recomend the one I reviewed on the last page ''The Warlords''. I didn't go into too much detail but it set during The Taiping Rebellion, and has great accuracy on the conflict without really mentioning what it was about, although it didn't even mention Western involvement.

Fight scenes are stunning, plenty of court politics and Jet Li just looks like someone you wouldn't feck with.

It happenened in the same timeframe as the American Civil War, so similar firearms, artillery etc are used, and the trench warfare is reminicant of WW1 movies.

Subtitled and not dubbed, it beats Cruching Tiger all ends up. without fliying on wires.

Captain America: The First Avenger ( 2011 )

Rather inoffensive fare really. Not anything I'm going to be raving about even in a couple of days, but it did the job of entertaining me while it was on.

6/10

The Eclipse (2009)

Horror writer comes to Cobh for a writing convention. Someone sees a ghost. An old man dies. Nothing else happens.

Okay, it's only the second Irish horror I've seen, but f**k me they are terrible at this!

3/10 - as a drama it was okay, but seriously FUCK ALL happens!

I watched an Irish horror flick the other day (name escapes me, but it was from the 'Hammer' series I think). That was shite too.

Watched a couple last night.

An Education

Wasn't really looking forward to this as normally the words "coming of age drama" fill me with dread but I was pleasantly surprised. The fact it had Carey Mulligan in the main role certainly swung it for me.

7/10

Somers Town

Another Shane Meadows film and as usual I was suitably impressed. A story about two teenage boys both needing friendship due to theree backgrounds and become an unlikely duo.

What interested me about this was the fact it was funded by Eurostar and is loosely advertising the channel tunnel but I wouldn't say the advertising is noticeable.

The only thing that disappointed me about this film is the fact it only last just over an hour but in fairness I don't think it really could've lasted much longer.

8/10

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen

Something a bit different from Lasse Hallstrom, someone I think is one of the most underrated directors out there, but it's not his best work.

Not to be taken seriously, otherwise I'd have just given up. It does get cringeworthy beyond belief! Great characters and chemistry between them, though. Nice to see Ewan McGregor in a role that plays to all his strengths. Kristen Scott-Thomas pulled the (often ridiculous) plot strings and provided her fair share the comic relief, but actually Oor Ewan made me chuckle the most as the posh, sarcastic, Scottish fish expert with a lot on his mind.

As a film, the cons outweigh the pros, but it's excellent fun. Nowhere near Chocolat or What's Eating GIlbert Grape?, but by no means a disaster. Think my rating's generous, only beats a 5 because actually I had a good time watching it.

6/10