What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Red Cliff (2008) 7/10

Chinese 300AD warfare on an epic scale, a John Woo going back to his roots type film. At 4'40 it was split in two but I watched them back to back.

Done on a big budget, it is the politics, scheming and skirmishes that lead to the climactic battle at the end of the 2nd film. Huge cast, great settings and even a naval battle on the Yangtzee river.

Really enjoyed, so will dig out some more of the genre like The Warlords (Jet Li), Three Kingdoms and The Warrior.

It is subtitled,not dubbed, so if that aint your thang, probably not for thee.

What an odd question to ask.

I listen to a podcast in which one of the hosts was obsessed with the size of Liam Neeson's cock, which is apparently legendary and then he saw Shame(I think) and saw Fassbender's and now he's in awe of that. I wanted to know if it was truly gargantuan.

Senna: really well made documentary, worth a watch 8/10

The Way: Emilio Estevez film about El camino de Santiago starring his Dad, much better than expected apart from an annoying stereotypical James Nesbit. 7/10

The Last Exorcism: Not too bad, another Blair Witch type rip off. 5/10

The Lincoln Lawyer ( 2011 )

It's a really good movie this one. Matthew McConaughey (sp?) has done the whole southern lawyer thing well before, so the fact that he put on a good performance here didn't surprise me as much as it surprised others. The plot is absolutely terrific as well. The basics are that a guy wants Haller ( McConaughey ) to represent him in court over a murder that he is adament he didn't commit. Is he telling the truth though? Everything works with the plot, which for a movie with so many twists, is quite amazing. So many things end up going in with each other. The one gripe is that they try and put over how nice Haller is, regardless of those who he represents. We don't need to have overdramatic scenes where he justifies what he does. McConaughey does a good enough job of making us sympathise on his own and the main plot only adds to that. It's a minor gripe though. Greatly enjoyable.

8/10

Scarred (Video 2005)

Horror film set in the woods where a man and his new young wife, his two teenage kids and the girl's friend go camping in an area near where an abusive alcoholic trapper killed his wife after she got pregnant by a disfigured woodsman; the child was disfigured as well so he killed it, cut off her face and threw her in the lake.

Well, you know how these things go, it didn't die and murdered lots of people to cut off their faces.

Pretty clichéd, including the ridiculous it's all over, oh know it's in the back seat as the film fades to black.

I just checked IMDb, and am sad to report that there is no sequel called "Scarred in the City" - disappointing as this was surprisingly good for a straight to video indie horror with a $200k budget!

6/10

Good Morning, Vietnam

Been meaning to get into some more Barry Levinson as I've only seen two of his films.

It starts as very light-hearted, not about politics or war at all, but the emotion and drama dilute the comedy as the plot carries forward, to (inevitably) bring home the message. In doing that it's trying to express the hell of what went on in Vietnam, but compared to Apocalypse Now and Platoon it's just too soft-core. Although it looks at it from a social point-of-view, which was a good idea, and it works to great effect after the turning point about an hour in.

In the right role Robin Williams is one of the best actors out there. This performance got him his first Oscar nomination- it really is right up his street, his character is zany, likeable and (of course) brave enough to stand up to The Man, and most of his "broadcasts" in the film were improvised. Forest Whitaker is lovable as Robin's character's shy right-hand-man and Bruno Kirby cracks me up as the "seriously funny" Lieutenant.

Some moments of genius, particularly the scenes set against the fantastic Vietnam soundtrack, but it's a little half-baked. Not entirely to my liking but great fun nonetheless.

6/10

Serendipity (2000)

This is totally a woman's film, but it stars John Cusack and I was bored so gave it a go on Netflix. Ashamed to say, I rather enjoyed it.

7/10

I thought I was the only person who had (or at least oelwned up) to liking this. Bonus points for having the American pie dad

Serendipity (2000)

This is totally a woman's film, but it stars John Cusack and I was bored so gave it a go on Netflix. Ashamed to say, I rather enjoyed it.

7/10

I thought I was the only person who had (or at least oelwned up) to liking this. Bonus points for having the American pie dad

Serendipity (2000)

7/10

Serendipity (2000)

7/10

I Saw the Devil (2010)

If there's one thing the Koreans do well, it's a vengeance thriller...

This time the guy from Oldboy (Min-sik Choi) is a serial killer being hunted by the cop fiancé of one of the girls he murdered.

Brilliant film, but can't get full marks as I rarely pick up on continuity errors, and this was full of obvious ones.

9/10

I knew you'd like it!

Like most Korean films, fucking mental, but brilliant.

I forgot I had this and Gone Baby Gone until I was tidying up one day. Will give you them back at the play-offs... not been up to Hampden for a while as moving into a new flat the day before the last game of the regular season and need to pay about £3k up front for my rent to avoid referencing and guarantors, etc, being required!

BTW have you seen Hansel & Gretel? Korean horror, not telling the story of the Grimm fairy tale but a similar idea... it's one of those circle horrors that I normally hate, but you enjoy, although this one was really good!