What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

There were ten.

I'm surprised Steinfeld qualified for Supporting, as she was really the lead.

Of the 9 I've seen, I meant, I haven't seen The King's Speech.

The film is called True Grit, True Grit (a term used for Cogburn, a few times) therefore was the lead!

True Grit (2010)

Of the 9 nominees this year for Best Picture, this is my favourite.

How Hailee Steinfeld didn't win the Osca for Best Supporting Actress, ahead of Melissa Leo, is beyond me.

Definitely worth a watch, and did the Duke proud.

9/10

I feel the exact same way, so much better than the King's Speech IMO.

There were ten.

I'm surprised Steinfeld qualified for Supporting, as she was really the lead.

That's a scam that's used now and again to try and steer an actor or actress into an Oscar. There's a few examples but the only one that springs immediately to mind, thanks to few beers, is Tatum O'Neal winning Best Supporting Actress for Paper Moon when, despite her age, she's blatantly the lead actress.

Midnight In Paris

Woody Allen back on form in a true work of genius. Beautifully structured and written with some fabulous acting from its supreme cast. Owen Wilson fits perfectly the role a younger Allen would have occupied, the other big names keep popping up in the most wonderful places.

The scenic cinematography is magnificent, and some classic Allen camerawork to enjoy. Couldn't possibly ruin the surprises for potential viewers (the trailer hides it yet hints to it very well) but suffice to say if you go with it, it'll pay off very handsomely.

It's got all the hallmarks of Allen's vintage era; wonderfully complicated romance, a lot of laughs and a little bit of magic that I've never seen him produce before.

10/10

Of the 9 I've seen, I meant, I haven't seen The King's Speech.

The film is called True Grit, True Grit (a term used for Cogburn, a few times) therefore was the lead!

The King's Speech is excellent. A must-see.

There can be more than one lead role in a film.

Leon (Director's Cut)

Surprisingly, I've never seen this before. It is a film that I have been looking forward to watching for sometime, mainly because I've heard fantastic reviews about both Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman in it. The film itself is good as a general film, however as the action thriller film it is, it is terrific. Sometimes action films can get bogged down and lose the human touch that they start off with. This film doesn't do that, and throughout it always returns to the recurring theme of the strange and fascinating relationship between Leon and Matilda. I've heard that many critics said it was perverse, and it is too an extent but that is what makes the relationship so fascinating. Sure Portman is "overly sexualised" for a young girl but she is a product of her environment and people don't like seeing that sort of taboo subject on the screen.

Jean Reno is good in it and despite being the "main" character, he is overshadowed by Portman and Oldman IMO - that takes nothing away from him though. He plays the awkward loner fairly well, although I do feel the script lets him down on a couple of occasions and you are left banging your head against the wall thinking "He sounds like a fucking idiot, but he's not". Portman is hilarious (a cracking wind-up merchant in a few scenes), and switches from emotion to emotion seamlessly and like a 12 year old girl. It's a very mature performance from her and you're left with a real feeling of empathy towards her character, even if she does begin to wear thin near the end with her constant "I love you" shouts. On the other hand, perhaps the director wanted that to happen. I should add that the on-screen chemistry between Reno and Portman is brilliant and without it, the film would fall flat on it's arse. Oldman is without a doubt my favourite British actor (and despite that I've had the misfortune to only see a tiny selection of his films). He's incredibly OTT in this as Stansfield, but it works very well in this film. He's terrifying at some points and really amusing at other points. That OTT-ness allows him to be incredibly psycho and a great villain. EEEEEEEEEVEERYYONN­EEEEEEEE surely agrees he is definitely one of the better film/movie villains?

So, a good watch. Not quite a "leave your brain at the door" action thriller, so that means it's certainly one of the better thriller films of its ilk that I've seen.

A solid 8.5/10.

PS: I want to change my avatar to a Norman Stansfield gif, but I feel too many changes in a short space of time is bad. Damn you Zooey Deschanel and Joesph Gordon-Levitt.

Edited by yoda

The Untouchables (1987)

I have never been a massive gangster movie fan but I've started to enjoy them more. I thought that was really good. There was a few things missing on the whole story of Al Capone, but if they were added in I think too much would have went on. Thoroughly enjoyable.

8/10

Swimming With Sharks

And from one 1994 film with a psycho bad guy, to another.

I've seen bits of this before but never all the way through. It's an engrossing film in parts, particularly with the hostage situation. It's funny in parts but fairly nasty in other parts. I was reminded of Reservoir Dogs when watching this, although that mainly came down to the hostage bit. A number of people say it isn't a subtle film, and that's true for the most part. It gets in your face and is perhaps a bit too one-dimensional for the majority of the film. However the hostage scenes near the end show some subtlety, I won't point it out for you but if you watch it you will notice it. The film does seem rather flimsy when Spacey isn't on screen though, and even though Whaley does well in his role (see below) he is let down by a pretty mediocre plot. The narrative is good though.

Kevin Spacey is superb. I actually prefer this performance to his Usual Suspects one. He's cruel, sharp-tongued and incredibly convincing. Frank Whaley is very good, he goes from naive new boy to Buddy Ackerman lite over the course of the film, and he does that well.

OTT in places, you lose interest in some places, but you need to watch it for Kevin Spacey. Somehow I don't think his management style would be well received from my HRM lecturers. Actually that subject makes me analyse this film more than I previously would have :lol: Perhaps that's why I enjoyed it and others wouldn't have.

7/10. A bit higher than middle of the road, but ultimately falling well short of the 8 and 9 category.

Reading that post again, it seems a bit muddled. Apologies.

Leon (Director's Cut)

Surprisingly, I've never seen this before. It is a film that I have been looking forward to watching for sometime, mainly because I've heard fantastic reviews about both Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman in it. The film itself is good as a general film, however as the action thriller film it is, it is terrific. Sometimes action films can get bogged down and lose the human touch that they start off with. This film doesn't do that, and throughout it always returns to the recurring theme of the strange and fascinating relationship between Leon and Matilda. I've heard that many critics said it was perverse, and it is too an extent but that is what makes the relationship so fascinating. Sure Portman is "overly sexualised" for a young girl but she is a product of her environment and people don't like seeing that sort of taboo subject on the screen.

Jean Reno is good in it and despite being the "main" character, he is overshadowed by Portman and Oldman IMO - that takes nothing away from him though. He plays the awkward loner fairly well, although I do feel the script lets him down on a couple of occasions and you are left banging your head against the wall thinking "He sounds like a fucking idiot, but he's not". Portman is hilarious (a cracking wind-up merchant in a few scenes), and switches from emotion to emotion seamlessly and like a 12 year old girl. It's a very mature performance from her and you're left with a real feeling of empathy towards her character, even if she does begin to wear thin near the end with her constant "I love you" shouts. On the other hand, perhaps the director wanted that to happen. I should add that the on-screen chemistry between Reno and Portman is brilliant and without it, the film would fall flat on it's arse. Oldman is without a doubt my favourite British actor (and despite that I've had the misfortune to only see a tiny selection of his films). He's incredibly OTT in this as Stansfield, but it works very well in this film. He's terrifying at some points and really amusing at other points. That OTT-ness allows him to be incredibly psycho and a great villain. EEEEEEEEEVEERYYONN­EEEEEEEE surely agrees he is definitely one of the better film/movie villains?

So, a good watch. Not quite a "leave your brain at the door" action thriller, so that means it's certainly one of the better thriller films of its ilk that I've seen.

A solid 8.5/10.

PS: I want to change my avatar to a Norman Stansfield gif, but I feel too many changes in a short space of time is bad. Damn you Zooey Deschanel and Joesph Gordon-Levitt.

Without a shadow of a doubt

I spent last night on the couch watching I am number 4

A weird one to be honest. Pre-film, I had a similar feeling to that of when Rangers are about to play in Europe. You just know it's going to be pish, and I wasn't wrong. But similar to Rangers, it was tolerable pish

The story revolves around some hunky b*****d who is one of the last survivors (he's number 4) of an alien race living on earth after their planet was destoryed. He is just discovering his powers when he falls in love with the local babe (Dianna Agron). Basically, these other aliens turn up to kill him and all hell brakes loose

Highlights - Dianna Agron

4/10

The New World

Before watching it tonight I was intrigued by Terrence Malick's choice of story, after all he is the film world's Mr. Exclusive, but it went in a direction I didn't expect. It's probably my least favourite of his films (now that I've seen all of them) but taking nothing away from his cinematic genius: again he's assembled a crack cast and crew: Emmanuel Lubezki has become one of my favourite cinematographers after seeing his work with Malick; the photography is stunning, pure gold to look at throughout.

A little dragged out at times, but anything directed by this man is always going to impress. Flashes of genius unique to Malick including another example of his fabulous dual/multiple narrative. For those not impressed by that stuff, the camerawork alone makes it well worth watching.

9/10

THE HANGOVER 2 - 8/10

Went to see it in the cinema and really enjoyed it. watched it again tonight and was still impressed. Yes it's not as good as the original but it never would be. Mr Chow is amazing in it, totally steals the show. All in all it's a good film and definately worth a watch.

The New World

Before watching it tonight I was intrigued by Terrence Malick's choice of story, after all he is the film world's Mr. Exclusive, but it went in a direction I didn't expect. It's probably my least favourite of his films (now that I've seen all of them) but taking nothing away from his cinematic genius: again he's assembled a crack cast and crew: Emmanuel Lubezki has become one of my favourite cinematographers after seeing his work with Malick; the photography is stunning, pure gold to look at throughout.

A little dragged out at times, but anything directed by this man is always going to impress. Flashes of genius unique to Malick including another example of his fabulous dual/multiple narrative. For those not impressed by that stuff, the camerawork alone makes it well worth watching.

9/10

After The Tree of Life this is his worst film in my opinion. Some stand out moments such as the ships arriving in the bay (completely brilliant scene) but on the whole it's a big disappointment.

After The Tree of Life this is his worst film in my opinion. Some stand out moments such as the ships arriving in the bay (completely brilliant scene) but on the whole it's a big disappointment.

Interesting you say that, those two are definitely the Malick films that won't be for everyone. I actually think they're both beautiful to watch, can't wait till next weekend when TTOL is released on DVD and Blu-Ray. Many seem to believe he's gotten worse and worse over the last 40 years but I prefer the reincarnation after his two "gap decades". Days Of Heaven is very special, though. One of three 10/10 films, for me.

Are you of the majority opinion that Badlands is his best work?