What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Versus (2000)

Japanese kung fu gangsta zombedy... mixed with Highlander!

Utter, utter fucking nonsense, but soooo good! The true definition of so shit it's amazing!

7/10 - can't go any higher, as they just kept throwing random shit in which made so little sense!

Green Lantern - 2011

I'm guessing I'm not really the person to review this; I don't like blockbusters, I don't like super hero movies and I've never read the graphic novels. Then again maybe that makes me the perfect person. I'll start out by saying if you want a couple of hours of decent effects with a dreadful storyline, plot holes and character motivations that don't add up at all then this is the perfect movie for you. I suppose it's not the film's fault it's lumbered with the bunkum of the graphic novel's setup. Blah, blah, immortals, far away planet, green energy good, yellow energy bad, top bloke on Earth chosen as the new defender of his area in space. OK, that might have flown in the 50's or 60's but it's ridiculously cheesy now. The whole "don't give in to fear"(the yellow energy) idea is delivered in such a ham manner it harks back to Jim Cunningham from Donnie Darko (where are you on the love/fear line).

Anyway, the rough plot is fighter pilot ace and all round good egg is chosen by "the ring" to be the new defender of his sector of space (there are 3600 of them all with their own lantern). He goes through the usual "wtf?", then training, then quitting, then realising his own worth, then returning, then doing deeds of daring do. I'm not giving away the plot here, and trust me I would love to as there are some doozies of "er... wtf?" moments. One thing I can say without getting into the storyline is that everyone around him seem to accept that their are aliens, he is now a superhero and (when the time comes) the Earth is under threat. Hardly a Roger Moore-esque eyebrow is raised. They greet all this with the same level of interest as they would if he said he had just got a new thermos flask.

Maybe I am asking too much? Maybe superhero's and graphic novels are meant to be unbelievable. Maybe I'm completely missing the point? Maybe. But even though I am no great fan of the genre I liked some of the X-Men films, and Watchmen, but this is an altogether different category and not in a good way.

So, er good things about it? Hmm.. the effects are decent, the film moves on at a decent pace, it won't tax you in any way at all and fair play the main character's love interest recognises him in his get up almost immediately despite him wearing one of those 1930's buglar masks - which makes a change for these sorts of movies, but that's about it for the good points. Oh, and one of the bad lot (you know he is to become bad because his hair is mental in the way only scientists who go bad can have it) does a fair enough impression of John Malkovic, even if you do wish they had got Malkovich instead.

Personal rating? 4/10. P&B rating? 6/10. Seems only fair to bump it up a little, after all it's not utter shit and it is my fault for watching a movie that I sort of knew I wouldn't like, but for me it would be nice to have the 1 and a half hours of my life back.

The Company Men ( 2010 )

The journey through 2010 gets going again with this light hearted drama about a bunch of guys who wind up unemployed because of the financial collapse in the US, and their differing fortunes coming from it. There really isn't much more than that to the movie, and it's not trying to send many big heartfelt messages. It's decent enough and has a solid cast. Not must-see, but as I always say, sometimes that's not the point.

7/10

The Thing 8.5/10

A film I've been meaning to watch for a looonnnggg time, finally got round to it. Very good from start to finish, the set up is particularly good. Kurt Russell is awesome from his first line and becomes a right maniac later on in the film. I'm sure everyone else has seen this movie and know the plot. Alien crashes on earth millenia ago, gets dug up by some norweigians and it infects them, then they pass it on to the US camp. Some fun effects (I still prefer this stuff over CGI because it's actually there!) Great build up of suspense, and the distrust between everyone continues through the movie. Really well done horror film.

War Games 5/10

Cheesy 80s anti-cold war movie with everyone's fave 80s high school student Ferris Beu I mean Matthew Broderick who's a hacker on a crap old BBC style computer, ends up accidentally almost starting world war 3. Stupid, stupid movie with daft characters and plot, but oddly watchable.

Drive 6/10

Continuing the 80s theme (well some of the music was certainly 80s inspired >_>) Didn't enjoy it that much. Didn't like the characters, didn't like the soundtrack, the movie seemed to be a little bit all over the place with regards to tone and theme. Gangster? Crime? Drama? Romance? It seemed to switch between all this rather than seemlessly combine them. Some pretty good scenes though. Brutal in some parts as previously mentioned.

Vanishing on 7th Street ( 2010 )

One of the more unsatisfying movies I've seen recently. A movie like this could wind up living and dying on it's climax and that didn't do much either. It was just a great big massive disappointment. I'll add a point for the way they keep the threat of the darkness going quite well, and that same point covers Hayden Christensen NOT being shit.

2/10

Once Upon a time in the West. Had wanted to watch this for a long time. One of the few Sergio Leone films I hadn't seen.

Very disappointed, slow tedious mince. 3/10

I regard that as a masterpiece, an all-time great. I've been to see it in the cinema a few times and never tire of watching it on TV. Henry Fonda ranks as one of the classic movie villains in it.

Right, I know it's not remotely acceptable to admit to it, but it's actually pretty good...

Mean Girls (2004)

My favourite psychopath is in it (Lizzy Caplan), it's pretty funny and it has Lindsay Lohan back when she was hot!

7/10

Age Of Heroes (2011)

Sean Bean and Danny Dyer are outlaws of a different kind in this corny World War II actioner about ‘30 Commando’, an “elite smash and grab unit” set up by Ian Fleming (who he?) for search-and-destroy missions behind enemy lines.

Whether the real regiment would have recruited an insubordinate lout like Dyer’s Corporal Rains is up for debate.

But Bean does, springing him from military lock-up for a Norwegian raid which has director Adrian Vitoria ransacking Where Eagles Dare and The Guns Of Navarone for every gung-ho, Boy’s Own cliché available.

8/10

I regard that as a masterpiece, an all-time great. I've been to see it in the cinema a few times and never tire of watching it on TV. Henry Fonda ranks as one of the classic movie villains in it.

Have to agree with this, from the long iconic opening at the train station to the bad bad Fonda.

You know that Fonda turned up for filming wearing brown contacts to try and look mean. Leone told him to take them out because he wanted the audience to see his blue eyes and go, "f**k me it's Henry Fonda!"

It works with the opening shot of Fonda.

The Killer Inside Me (2010)

Pretty good, Casey Affleck plays the part of a sociopath very well. The story's pretty good but it all felt like a mission in LA Noire to me and I fucking hated that game.

DRIVE (2011)

Just finished watching it and holy f**k that was awesome! The way it was filmed, the performances, the soundtrack. Everyone should watch this film. You may not rate it as highly as me but I'm sure you'll find it very enjoyable!

Plot is about a stuntman driver who also drives for criminals as the get away car. Opening scene sets the tone quite well although admittedly it does feel as if things are moving at a slow pace with little dialogue to begin with. This however changes as the film progresses. Without giving too much away there is a heist which then involves Gosling with the wrong people.

The action scenes and violence are also superb. Really, just go watch it now!

9/10

Exactly how I felt. Went into it with low expectations and just thought it would be another action movie. How wrong I was, one of the best films I've seen in years.

That's why I was so disappointed, had heard so many good reports about it over the years.

Perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. I'll give it another try later.