What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I don't feel that a big screen automatically adds to a film. I see where you are coming from and certainly the first and last 5 minutes of the film would benefit, but the rest is less about flashy effects and surround sound and all about the relationship between the two sisters. The effects were used very sparingly.

One thing I would say, and I'll be careful not to put in any spoilers, but with knowing the plot and seeing Justine's depression in the first half of the film I thought she knew what was going to happen, hence why she was so depressed.

Still, definitely one of the best films of the year so far for me, although I'd need to check back and see what 2011 releases there have been. I would have liked the relevant husband's characters expanded more though. Sutherland especially had little to do with the film and his final scene in the film (again trying to avoid spoilers) left me feeling a bit like there was a chunk of film sitting on the cutting room floor that they forgot to add back in. It also seemed pretty much out of character.

Big screen certainly doesn't add to film automatically, but as you say, the introduction and finale benefited so much, those moments blew me away on big screen; the difference between good and great, actually. Personally I think looking at films like this and Dogville, Von Trier's genius is in using techniques expertly but not exploiting them. He can tell a story using paralinear techniques, something I admire very much. I love that this story is told "in a nutshell" in the intro before we even see it, I guess this allows us to discover the (main) characters in its two parts rather than concentrate on the bigger (universal) picture. Me and my friend questioned; is Kiefer simply comic relief (and a sign of you-know-what after you-know-when).

Second this year, for me, to Malick's The Tree Of Life. Another very philosophical and artistic film that won't be for everyone. I saw it twice and can say it's my second favourite film of all time. (Incidentally out on DVD -and Blu-ray...that will be cool!- on Hallowe'en. And no, I don't work for them.)

I doubt you will ever meet or even hear of a single person with that opinion.

Haha i take it then consesus is that it wasnt very good lol.

Saltyton you prob can watch GF 2 without 1 but as Satans Husband says, makes for better viewing if you do

TRAINING DAY:

Not seen this cheeky little number in a while. Stuck this on yesterday when i got in from work. Not much to say about it except the usual superlatives that everyone uses ha. With the exception of Dr Dre, the acting is excellent. Soundtracks class on storyline excellent too.

10/10

ICE AGE:

Not much difference between the above and this :rolleyes: . I absolutely love this film. Because Sid The Sloth it comedy gold haha. Big kid at heart.

9/10

LAYER CAKE:

Never seen it before decided I should give it a watch, mate of mine described it as a less funny version of Snatch which was true, great film though all the same some scenes are quite epic the one with the Dragon shooting the sniper was quality.

8/10

I have to say I find the scores given here are quite high. 10/10 for Training Day? I would never give a film 10/10, and certainly not Training Day which was a good film but certainly not an epic. No offence Sydney, but I think that's just too high a rating. QP Mental then goes on to give Layer Cake 8/10 while also admitting it he thought was a less funny Snatch. Surely that drops it's level (personally I would give LC a 6 or 7, say 6.5).

I'm not having a go here guys, and yes I gave Melancholia a 9 recently and after some though I am going to downgrade it to an 8 for the elements that were not done well (certain character expansion, no motive for characters to act the way they did).

It's all subjective, I realise this and I'm certainly not wanting to complain about people's ratings but we should all be careful of rating things so highly that when truly great films come out (and Training Day is not that) what rating are you going to give them?

I would never give a film 10/10

Why?

Slightly agree with the rest of your post, there have been one or two almost laughable overratings, and it does cheapen the 10/10 status. This thread is great for recommendations for those on the search for a gem, but I have to say when Ice Age is getting 9/10 I'm a bit sceptical.

How on earth could you find it boring? How was it a wasted opportunity? It answered nearly every single question it threw up and did so with some style.

Have to agree. The only thing I had a problem with was the build up to her 'achieving' martyrdom was maybe a few scenes too long. Anyone have any hypothesis on what she told the old wifey at the end?

It's all down to personal opinion. I would rate Ice Age as a 8/10 because it's a thoroughly enjoyable film. However that doesn't mean I hold it in the same regard as another film I would rate 8/10 or even 7/10. You need to break it down into different categories. I might rate a certain comedy as a 9/10, but it doesn't mean I think it's better than a thriller I give 8/10 for.

People are going to think one film is worthy of a 10/10, others will feel as though they can't give a 10/10 for whatever reason.

FWIW, I feel that AlbinoRover is usually a bit pretentious about films in a very art student way - not a criticism just an observation because that's how you see and enjoy the film. The whole "cheapen the 10/10 status" thing is ridiculous. We aren't professional film critics (and even then they sometimes get it wrong IMO) and everyone enjoys different films and sees the film differently. Some people like The Shawshank Redemption or Saving Private Ryan but I find them very average films and don't enjoy them. I love Lost In Translation but a number of people think it's shit.

Edited by yoda

I realise this is a complete Pandora's Box of pretentiousness I've opened. I'm not criticising people for rating films at 10, I'm just not sure if any film merits that.

Of course /10 is a restrictive rating. /100 and you can give yourself leeway. 96/100 is a great film but not perfect, you have trouble relating that to a /10 even though technically that is just 9.6/10

I realise this is a complete Pandora's Box of pretentiousness I've opened. I'm not criticising people for rating films at 10, I'm just not sure if any film merits that.

Of course /10 is a restrictive rating. /100 and you can give yourself leeway. 96/100 is a great film but not perfect, you have trouble relating that to a /10 even though technically that is just 9.6/10

I would say spot on with this. I don't think I've ever off the top of my head rated a movie a full 10 or 100% because I would be calling it the perfect movie. And even though some have pushed for it, I can't say I could credit one with it...so far.

To chime in on the 10/10 thing, I would give Remember The Titans a 10/10, but that is because I love the film. I know that there's holes in it and factual inaccuracies which might put people off, but it's one of my favourite films, along with The Departed which I'd give a 9/10 or 9.5/10. I think it is all very, very subjective and depends a lot on how a movie hooks you personally.

To chime in on the 10/10 thing, I would give Remember The Titans a 10/10, but that is because I love the film. I know that there's holes in it and factual inaccuracies which might put people off, but it's one of my favourite films, along with The Departed which I'd give a 9/10 or 9.5/10. I think it is all very, very subjective and depends a lot on how a movie hooks you personally.

For me there's quite a lot of films that I'd give 10/10 if I was reviewing it on here.

If I was being totally accurate I'd probably have to give all of them 9.5/10, apart from Once Upon a Time in America.

The reason they'd only get 9.5 is because they aren't Once Upon a Time in America.

Edited by Guest

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011)

Took advantage of Orange Wednesday last night to go and see the new Guillermo Del Toro flick - and left pretty luke-warm. An interesting, if slightly cliched, haunted house style pretence. Obviously I know he was the producer rather than the director, but much in the same way as The Orphanage you could see elements of his influence in everything from music to exterior shots.

This is the first of Del Toro's Hollywood releases that I've seen, having missed both Hellboys, and I felt it's glitzy appeal and star cast may have diluted the overall effect of the film. Gone is the usual twisted morality, and explanatory mitigating circumstances that usually go through his movies - and they're replaced with a much more black and white dichotomy between the goodies and the baddies. Also, Guy Pearce and Katie Holmes are at no point a believable couple - one of the poorer castings I've seen in a while.

A good set-up let down by a so-so script, it eventually descends into 'Critters' only without the laughs. Katie Holmes remains a bit better than her career to date would have you believe though, if only her husband would let her out the house a bit more often...

Very MOR 5/10

DRIVE (2011)

Just finished watching it and holy f**k that was awesome! The way it was filmed, the performances, the soundtrack. Everyone should watch this film. You may not rate it as highly as me but I'm sure you'll find it very enjoyable!

Plot is about a stuntman driver who also drives for criminals as the get away car. Opening scene sets the tone quite well although admittedly it does feel as if things are moving at a slow pace with little dialogue to begin with. This however changes as the film progresses. Without giving too much away there is a heist which then involves Gosling with the wrong people.

The action scenes and violence are also superb. Really, just go watch it now!

9/10

I've got Drive waiting to be watched but the plot puts me off. That's a couple of really positive reviews now, I suppose I'll need to bite the bullet at some point. Might wait until I've got no Internet access though..