What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Shallow Hal (2001)

Fucking hell, this was just dire. Utterly painful to watch.

Terrible acting and no new jokes that I found even partially comedic... the only thing remotely funny got destroyed (the Tony Robbins elevator scene) by playing Scene It? in which it's one of the movie clip rounds!

3/10

Source Code

Enjoyable, if plot hole filled nonsense. 7/10

7/10 if the filmed had ended ten minutes earlier than it did, that is. Unfortunately, the last ten minutes make the rest of the film nonsensical and seem to be purely tacked on for a happy ending. Just awful

3/10

I was disappointed by it. I expected more after Moon, but maybe that's why I was disappointed. The twist at the end just doesn't work and even half way through I was wishing they would die in the train crash repeatedly for the rest of time just for my amusement. One of those films that probably sounds great in a pitch but is a bit pants once you get down to the job of writing it.

Agreed, and still a million miles more entertaining than what Inception was.

No, no, no... Inception, while hardly being the mindfuck some simpletons thought it was, was a significantly better film in many ways.

Ooh, and earlier, someone gave Winters Bone a 4. Pretty harsh scoring for what is a very decent movie.

Shallow Hal (2001)

Fucking hell, this was just dire. Utterly painful to watch.

Don't think I could bring myself to watch it, it just sounds and looks awful. Someone gave me a download of Hall Pass and I managed all of about 20 minutes before screaming at the laptop and immediately deleting the file. I put Shallow Hal in that category.

btw, did you know that Hall Pass cost $36 million to make? :o Fucking incredible.

Tequila Sunrise

Quite liked it. Mel Gibson and Kurt Russell are either side of the drugs laws(Gibson a drug dealer and Russell a narc') Fighting over Michelle Pfeiffer. Gibson says that he's gonna slap Pfeiffer halfway through it, funniest line I've heard in a while given his recent behavior.

A solid 5/10

Meet Joe Black

I dug this. Brad Pitt is really good in this. He plays this guy at the start and then the Angel of Death takes over the body, so at the start he's all happy but then he becomes really emotionless and it's well acted. The chick who played Brandi from Mallrats is in it as well, as a love interest for Pitt so there's a few awkward scenes since the Angel of Death has no idea how to act around her and stuff. Anthony Hopkins is her father.

7/10

LAYER CAKE:

Daniel Craig, Sienna Miller, Tamer Hassan, Colm Meaney and other usual suspects in this.

Decent enough throughout, Mortys (character) acting in it is atrocious.

Sienna Miller in the stockings tho was a real eye opener - cue the jokes.

I enjoyed it though so cant complain.

6.5/10

The Descent: Part 2 (2009)

The Scottish lassie from the first film goes back down a hole for some reason, and well the shit hits the fan, quite literally in some cases!

This time though it's not as terrifying, it's not as claustrophobic as the first one... but they've kind of turned it into a comedy horror. Some funny lines, funny deaths and of course a Scottish lassie gieing a monster a Glesga kiss! Beautiful!

Not a classic by any means, but fun for what it is!

6/10

Well, I knew nothing about it before watching and still understood it. Intellectually in terms of comprehension of the story I guess it is probably on a par with something like Fight Club, but easy to keep up with when it's as gripping as it is, I found. The narrative was genius. Some will say all over the place but it worked for me.

A very rewarding film certainly. Not as much gore as some masterpieces! Did Goodfellas lose marks for that?

I'm not much of a cineaste so I've never actually seen Goodfellas :ph34r:

I just felt the bit in Istanbul where the wee Russian burd comes back to find her eviscerated husband in the bath was a bit OTT, as was her brain ending up all over the wall of the interrogation room later, but then I suppose that was the point.

It was really the denoument that I struggled to understand fully - how did they eventually find out it was Firth's character who was the spy? And why did that other bloke subsequently shoot him?

I just felt the bit in Istanbul where the wee Russian burd comes back to find her eviscerated husband in the bath was a bit OTT, as was her brain ending up all over the wall of the interrogation room later, but then I suppose that was the point.

It was really the denoument that I struggled to understand fully - how did they eventually find out it was Firth's character who was the spy? And why did that other bloke subsequently shoot him?

I think in the film this is the reasons Firth's character getting shot:

Prideaux is sent to Budapest and captured. Haydon being the mole must have told the Russians that there was a British spy trying to uncover Haydon's identity as the mole. When Prideaux returns to Britain he's obviously traumatised after the events, and he finds out that Haydon is the mole. Shooting him was an act of revenge after the betrayal.

The book apparently makes reference to a potential relationship between the two. Both are good friends (as the film mentions) but I didn't pick up any undertones of a relationship between the two whilst watching it. That would explain why Prideaux has a few tears following the shooting.

I think in the film this is the reasons Firth's character getting shot:

Prideaux is sent to Budapest and captured. Haydon being the mole must have told the Russians that there was a British spy trying to uncover Haydon's identity as the mole. When Prideaux returns to Britain he's obviously traumatised after the events, and he finds out that Haydon is the mole. Shooting him was an act of revenge after the betrayal.

The book apparently makes reference to a potential relationship between the two. Both are good friends (as the film mentions) but I didn't pick up any undertones of a relationship between the two whilst watching it. That would explain why Prideaux has a few tears following the shooting.

Thank you! Have a green dot :)

Adulthood 4/10.

I really enjoyed the original movie Kidulthood and was told the sequel was even better but it isn't even close. For a start Plan B doesn't spend much time on screen but still exposes his complete lack of acting talent. His character is also under developed and the film focuses on him and his "crew" at the start before abandoning them till near the end.

Noel Clarke stars and directs and whilst still menacing his performance doesn't have the depth to display the deep emotional scars he apparently suffers since the first movie and his lack of subtlety in revealing it - by explicitly saying it - is poor. It's hard to know if you'd be able to develop this line over such a short time span without neglecting the plot but if not they shouldn't have just thrust it in artificially. Some of the set plays are also embarrassing include the "speed up" confrontation with Plan B and the baseball bat gun standoff at the end. He's not a bad actor, just not good enough to pull off such a complex role. The pre culmination of the film tries to pass itself off as a daring and brilliant plan but in actual fact was total bollocks.

Mooney does go some way to demonstrate how you can come good from this situation but his character is also weak and indecisive, and spends some of the latter part of the film following another character only to abruptly leave and not be seen again.

Some characters have been artificially maintained from the first film (most notably the anonymous drug dealer who was scared) whilst some have been carelessly cast aside for poorer alternatives, like Jaime Winstones character being replaced by her "cousin" Scarlett Anne Johnson. As well as being not nearly as funny or interesting as Winstones character she is also poorly written and bizarrely reveals incredibly intimate details to a convicted murderer she met that day. The actress does the best with such a shit character but it contributes nothing to the movie and trying to artificially thrust her into the previous movie (which she wasn't in) is, well, stupid.

There are some positives, however, Adam Deacon as Jay is still the shining light of the entire show delivering a fantastic performance even if he is let down by the farcical, schmaltzy and unsatisfying ending.

The first film had its flaws but was still far better.

Edited by Supras

The Lion King (1994)

I always loved it as a kid and it was my favourite movie, but I haven't seen it in years since we got rid of the VHS. Naturally I was rather excited and it never disappointed. I can't say much as I'm sure you have all watched it before but I forgot how good some of it was. The characters of Rafiki and Ed - the retarded hyena - are brilliant. I also forgot parts that were in it and when I was a kid I never understood some parts - so it was kinda like watching a new movie too.

10/10

I watched it in 3D. I'm against 3D and I don't see what makes it so special, but it was pretty good in this. Quite a lot was done - more than in Toy Story 3D - but there were still some times where it looked really flat. When Rafiki held up Simba at the beginning I had expected Simba to be in my face but he wasn't which was a shame. That would have been the perfect beginning but it was not to be. There was no point in going to see it in 2D though.

Skyline 3/10,

Someone watched loads of alien invasion films then stole the good bits and remade them, badly. With not as good actors and poor special effects and an "eh?" ending.

98 minutes of my life I'll never get back.