What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Cable Guy

First time ive seen it. Average. Funny in parts but Michael Brodericks face annoys the hell out me with the same 'glaekit' look all the time

4/10

Oh, thank God someone else thought this mince was not even passable! Not even remotely funny!

Oh, thank God someone else thought this mince was not even passable! Not even remotely funny!

I didnt understand the big hoo ha. I was at the burds yesterday looking for a dvd to watch..... I picked out a few a hadnt seen n she comes away with 'these arent day time dvds':blink: is there such a thing??

Anyway she picked this film a was like aye why not, Jim Carreys in it...

Yeah a wont watch it everrr again......did miss parts of it tho :P

A Gunfight

Johnny Cash in his second movie role squares up to Kirk Douglas as two hard-up gunfighters arrange a big pay day by letting a town bet on the outcome before they meet for a showdown in a bull ring. It's a brilliant premise and I'm surprised it hasn't been remade. I hadn't seen it for a couple of decades so it's a bit shoddier than I remembered. The direction ain't very good, the editing is poor and the DVD transfer isn't great quality with not even a trailer to be found as an extra. But the acting is superb from the two leads, as is an appearance form Keith Carradine, in possibly his first role, as a warped young gunslinger. It's only about 90 minutes and well worth a watch, especially for how wild Johnny Cash's hair gets at one point.

7.5/10

Do The Right Thing

It's a funny, slick, cool character study that unravels itself into a emotive and political drama. It's masterfully written, very well directed and the acting is out-of-this-world. Every cast member delivers perfectly those very well thought-out roles. Take a bow Spike Lee.

It's a work of genius, no doubt. My 3rd favourite film of the 80s.

10/10

Shocked to see The Social Network getting 6s and 7s! After multiple viewings it's grown on me, definite 10/10 masterpiece but even after first viewing I was thinking 8 or 9.

Shocked to see The Social Network getting 6s and 7s! After multiple viewings it's grown on me, definite 10/10 masterpiece but even after first viewing I was thinking 8 or 9.

Watched it last night as it happens. Definitely an eight.

Also watched Bonded by Blood with Tamer Hussein and some other folk. It was a standard Brit gangster film really, a great deal of shouting, snorting charlie and generally nawty behaviour. 5/10

A Lonely Place to Die

I went to see it last night and it was ok.

It started off with a few great shots of the hills and such, but then they went to a bothy and started drinking whisky and singing "Take the High Road".

But once all that shite was done, the story was quite good, and the stunt/action scenes were really well produced for quite a low budget film.

The whole Mardi Gras / Pagan parade was a total joke, but apart from that, I rather enjoyed it, but wouldn't buy it on DVD.

6/10

Edited by lau03143

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I enjoyed this film. It took maybe half an hour or so to grasp what was going on (with flashbacks and other things muddying the waters to begin with) and get to grips with the plot. I have never read the book or watched the original TV series so this was all new to me.

The basic plot is simple. During the Cold War the Russians have planted "a mole right at the top of the Circus". The mole in question is a double-agent feeding information to Moscow that he has obtained through his position in MI6. And so begins Gary Oldman's search to try and find who this mole is before it's too late. There are three separate storylines on the go during the film, and they are all linked together but Tomas Alfredson brings them together brilliantly. It's a subtle film that unlike other "spy" films is realistic and solid. There isn't any big explosions, the dialogue isn't clumsy and once it hooks you, it has you for the rest of the film.

Individually all the performances are good, mainly because the cast is strong from the main characters to supporting characyers. For me, Benedict Cumberbatch is the best out of the "supporting" cast but Tom Hardy and Mark Strong all give a good showing - Hardy especially. Gary Oldman is brilliant, and to me it didn't really seem like a role for him. I expect him to pick up a few awards for George Smiley.

I was visually impressed by the film, and the music was well suited to the film. Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman also had some pretty cool jackets, which I now want.

It's probably one of the best films I've seen in 2011 and I highly recommend it. 9/10

I might have to go and see it again, it's one of those films where two viewings might just do it justice.

Edited by yoda

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I was visually impressed by the film, and the music was well suited to the film. Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman also had some pretty cool jackets, which I now want.

All the clobber in it was Aquascutum. My burd works for them, and the stuff in it is indeed cracking.

Friends With Benefits - 7/10

Quite enjoyed this and pleasently suprised. Had some funny one liners, the lead girl is stunning beyone belief, timerlake puts in a good shift in the lead male role, woody harrelsons character is quality. Thought this would be a shite chick flick/romantic comedy but it was def worth a watch.

Drive

Saw a preview this morning and it's great entertainment. The opening scene is sure to be mentioned in the future amongst cinema classics as it's simply superb. Ryan Gosling also elevates his already lofty status as an actor with an absolutely brilliant performance. It may be a relatively formulaic set up but I was unsure as to how the whole thing would pan out and I'd recommend not reading many (or any) spoilers if you can. For about the first hour the 18 certificate seems surprising, until some moments of wild violence kick in.

It's not perfect but I reckon some people on here will love this film. I'd be happy watching it again very soon and I might just do that.

8/10