What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Can I suggest you watch "My Name Is Khan" from 2010? You may not think it to be better/equal to conviction but it has similar themes to what you have described, so think you would enjoy it. Storyline and plot are completely on a different planet, but I think it works just as well.

Absolutely loved that film. one of the best I've watched in ages

Lucky Number Sleven

Cracking film. Lots of plots and sub plots and twists and turns. Some really good performances as well which make it all the better.

8.5/10

Last night was, i think, the sixth time i've watched that film. Every time it's on i just have to watch it. Would probably agree with your mark. Draws me right in every time.

The Experiment ( 2010 )

Forest Whittaker is one of the most miscast actors EVER here. His character should have been a sinister b*****d and the outlandish Whittaker is just not right here. Not right at all. I think this takes away a LOT of the power in this movie, because someone else in that role could have made a lot of difference to this. The scene in the toilet is just ridiculous. He does get the control freak side of the character down but it needed more than that. I can't believe I've wasted so much time talking about one guy in the movie, but I really do think he single handedly turned what could have been a really good movie into a thumbs slightly up one. Oh, and the "where's my music?" bit is possibly the most hilarious unintentional bit of comedy since Cage in The Wicker Man.

Outside of all of that, I thought it was pretty well carried out. Not sure it was a waste. Maybe somebody will come along and make a better one but this one was good enough. I don't think the intention was for it to ever be a classic. I thought the way things escalated was pretty realistic and the way certain more sinister characters swung things to their favour was good. Chance wasted? Probably on one count which I've covered in some detail. The rest? I can live with.

6/10

Try watching the original German version, Das Experiment. Its a pretty decent watch. Imagine like most foreign films it'll be miles ahead of the Hollywood remake.

The Guard - 8.5/10

Basically the spiritual sequal to In Bruges. Set in Ireland and with Bredan Gleeson in the main role. Very very funny film that made me laugh out loud. The bit with the milkshake in the ice-cream parlour had me in stitches. If you liked in Bruges then definitely watch this!! Think its also directed by the brother of the guy who directed In BRuges.

Try watching the original German version, Das Experiment. Its a pretty decent watch. Imagine like most foreign films it'll be miles ahead of the Hollywood remake.

I'll probably do that at some point. Anyways...

My Name is Khan ( 2010 )

Feelgood doesn't even begin to describe this one. The title character is one of the most sympathetic characters ever. I suppose it ticks all of the right boxes, but that doesn't take away from an extraordinary performance. It's heavy as f**k on the melodrama and soppy stuff at times, and it's not half forced, but when that's done right I'm an absolute sucker for it, and it was carried out perfectly here. I can see why some critics didn't share the love at all because of that stuff though. I'm not a critic though. And I loved it.

10/10

And yeah, it was better than Conviction. MUCH better. Probably the best movie I've seen since Pan's Labyrinth.

La Haine (1995)

It was okay, but I just couldn't get into this at all. It's well made and the basic plot is quite strong (three people from different backgrounds joined together by their collective hatred of the racist police force), but the acting isn't great and the monochrome is a bit annoying.

It's very slow paced and has some of the most tedious characters ever created (namely "Vinz" who's best moment was the final one which summed up his character well)!

6/10 - could have been a lot higher if it was in colour and had better actors!

The Social Network.

Was a good film. Disappointed with the ending, thought it ended rather sharp, dont know what i was expecting tho? The concept was intrguing on how it was put together and how he picks up on stuff. Computer genius i suppose.

6/10

Death At A Funeral

Ok i suppose, not brilliant, funny in parts. A lot of these movies are just becoming the same. yawn fest.

4/10

La Haine (1995)

It was okay, but I just couldn't get into this at all. It's well made and the basic plot is quite strong (three people from different backgrounds joined together by their collective hatred of the racist police force), but the acting isn't great and the monochrome is a bit annoying.

It's very slow paced and has some of the most tedious characters ever created (namely "Vinz" who's best moment was the final one which summed up his character well)!

That's a shame you didn't enjoy it more. One of my favourite films of all time. I don't think the black and white detracts any from the film, and the cinematography overall is brilliant imo. I thought it was really well acted, by Vinz in particular, and his ending was really unsettling.

That's a shame you didn't enjoy it more. One of my favourite films of all time. I don't think the black and white detracts any from the film, and the cinematography overall is brilliant imo. I thought it was really well acted, by Vinz in particular, and his ending was really unsettling.

Two totally different opinions in the tiny corner of the world that is Shawlands.

I really wanted to kill Vinz the entire way through it, as his overacting was driving me insane!

I'd agree with that, if fact I'd say adding colour to it would have detracted from the overall atmosphere of the film.

I watched 2 Nights in Paris with Julie Delpy and some American guy. Not anywhere near a classic but there were a few funny moments in it. It's on BBC iplayer.

6/10

Watched this would agree with the 6/10, maybe a 7. I only know Julie Delpy from Before Sunset/Sunrise and she has some balls to write such a similar film for her next big picture.

Michael Clayton (2007)

Really decent legal thriller. Kept me engrossed for the 2 hours but had one or two little plot drivers which just took the piss a little bit.

A car bomb? What the fook. The hitmen that took care of the crazy dude were shown to be ruthless, proffessionals who fooled the police in making it look suicidal. But they then attempt to get Clayton with a car bomb? Also how many legal thrillers end in someone getting caught on a tape recorder. Bit disappointing

Thought the film was really well constructed but a bit lazy with that foolishness.

Still an 8/10.

La Haine (1995)

You should have your Blockbuster card/access to films online instantly revoked for this :P

Source Code, cut off the end and it's a pilot for a tv show, terrible film. 2/10.

I quite enjoyed it, but the whole thing was weird. Gylenhaal didn't get the whole thing and the doctor guy totally did and then they seem to flip at the end when Gylenhaal totally gets it all of a sudden and the doctor is pure confused and shit laugh.gif

Red State

I fucking loved this. Although the cast was pretty decent (Melissa Leo, John Goodman, Kevin Pollak) none were that special, Michael Parks was absolutely stunning. The film itself was really good though, thought it was a horror but it was more of a thriller with a good splash of comedy. Kevin Smith(I'm a fanboy, I know) has outdone himself here, seems to have split a lot of people, but it was fantastic IMO.

Apollo 18

I quite enjoyed it. G-Man might want to take a look at the Wikipedia page for it, specifically the cast section, here. The three astronauts are actors. Spoiler, ending mentioned:

Not to mention how the footage would've made it back here since the two crafts crashed at the end

I liked it though. Pretty well shot, at times I was thinking whether it was real or not, certain parts were probably real(shots without the actors, stuff like shots of the moon and earth) but I thought it was quite well made. Story is reasonably predictable, although not my first though.