What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Guest Yngwie Malmsteen

Rise of the Footsoldier 6/10

Pretty violent but had a poor flow I thought. And the actor playing Carlton Leach looked like Ricky Gervais so I couldn't take him seriously.

Guest Yngwie Malmsteen
Green Street.

Only other film I've seen in the hoolie-flick sub-genre is the awful Football Factory and this easily eclipsed it without ever reaching any great heights of film-making.

Compared to the FF, Green Street had better acting and is superior in terms of depth of plot and action scenes. It also made less attempt to glamourise the unsavoury practise of football hooliganism.

That said it was awfully predictable, the premise behind it is not entirely believable either.

6/10

Watched that last night aswell. One of the worst attempts at a cockney accent I have ever heard by the guy playing Pete. Truly awful.

The Mist

Well it wasnt predictable thats for sure but it was plain silly. At no point was it scary nor should it have been an 18. The ending did make me chuckle which increases it rating.

4/10

Monster v Aliens 3D

Went with my young cousins(honest) but it was actually ok. They both loved it and it is well worth going to with younger kids.

6/10

Gran Tourino

I really think Guy Ritchie and all these young indie kids who think stagger cuts every five minutes and shaky camera work are necessary to make good art should be forced to watch movies like this twenty four hours a day at art school. Clint Eastwood's minimalist direction coupled with a great script allows this story to tell itself, just like with Changling. For the most part politics takes a back seat in this film to humour, sadness and a genuinely riveting story about a Korean veteran who comes to accept his neighbours. A fabulous film which loses a point for having a dreadful closing credit tune.

8/10

Burn After Reading

Finally, finally got round to seeing it and really, really enjoyed it, not the Brother's Coen's best film, but I think that that is sufferage due to the high quality of their output, they are expected to bring out films that are excellent and they never let us down, Intolerable Cruelty apart but I am prepared to let them off with that one as it was a studio job that they had to do to get fianance for their other projects!!!

Anyway the usual ensemble cast all given decent parts to get their teeth into John Malkovich was excellent, George Clooney, who always impresses when given decent stuff to work with was also very good and Brad Pitt who stole the film every scene he was in!!!

Give it an 8/10, like I said it probably suffers from what has come before it, if it was a first time Writer/Director effort it would be getting raved about still!!!

brad-pitt-in-burn-after-reading.jpg

Edited by King Kebab

Finished off a double bill of illegally streamed movies with Gone Baby Gone. I'll watch virtually anything with Casey Affleck in it, and he's in a class of his own in an excellently cast thriller which centres around the abduction of a child from a drugged out mother. I'll put this with Reign Over Me in the "firmly better than any review I've seen" category (which differs from the Punch Drunk Love/Man On The Moon category of totally unexpected but highly praised movies). Lots of extremely subtle dialogue, perfectly paced and with a genuinely consistent plot (bar a five minute bit towards the end where everything goes a bit nuts, and the obviously tacked on ending). I especially enjoyed the constant doubt in Affleck's character, and the

way the mother leaves her re-found daughter for a date without saying goodbye, showing no affection at all, and swigging from a beer bottle

I was going to deduct a point for the superfluous arm candy who adds precisely zero to the plot, but she gets her comeuppance, so I won't. A delightfully unexpected 8/10

Edited by Jim Pansy

I just watched "The Heartbreak Kid" on Sky Comedy there. Ben Stiller is the commitment-phobe who finally gets hitched then realises he's picked the wrong girl. I would give this a 5/10 as it didnt really make me laugh for a comedy and I had nothing else to do as there is f**k all else on a Friday night. It was either this or Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix.

Watched that last night aswell. One of the worst attempts at a cockney accent I have ever heard by the guy playing Pete. Truly awful.

:lol:

It was a pretty poor attempt, constantly flitting between east end wide-boy and a rada trained posh lad at any given moment. The film wasn't brilliant and I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again, but it was better than I expected.

Today I watched Old School on DVD for about the fourth time and it's still as ball-achingly funny as the first time.

Littered with classic moments from the foul-mouthed wedding band to Frank (Will Ferrell) shooting himself with a tranq gun and the subequent melee that ensued.

Outstanding from start to finish.

9/10

88 minutes - pretty damn good, Pacino is a God! 8/10

Righteous Kill - despite being predictable, the two of them make it more than watchable - nice reverse on the Heat ending ;) 7/10

The Wrestler - didn't think I'd like it, but Rourke was superb. And any movie where Marisa Tomei gets her tits out and strust about in a thong gets two bonus points - 9/10