What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Joy Division. A special showing tonight at the Grosvenor as part of Mental Health Awareness Week.

Having seen "Control" last year, which is an adaptation of Deborah Curtis' book and as such is "the Ian Curtis Story", this is much more rounded in exploring the whole band...its origins, influences and their influence on British rock music.

Director Grant Gee was present to answer questions and give some insight into the making of the movie. It ostensibly came about because "Control" made the other members of the band "look like c***s" and JD was a chance for them to tell their side of the whole story.

It was an enjoyable documentary and anyone who previously didn't know Curtis had epilepsy was made aware of this.

Full of live performance clips and a small interview clip of Curtis speaking (all too rare, sadly), it will be of interest to fans and anyone interested in the history of post-punk music, especially as it was recently released on DVD.

7/10

Madagascar (2005)

Very boring, barely watchable animation with annoying voice-overs like Chris Rock, Jada Pinkett and David Schwimmer.

Just gets the lowest passing grade as one scene made me laugh, but I can't even remember what it was, so clearly not that memorable (despite the obvious flaw in that sentence).

5/10

Joy Division. A special showing tonight at the Grosvenor as part of Mental Health Awareness Week.

Having seen "Control" last year, which is an adaptation of Deborah Curtis' book and as such is "the Ian Curtis Story", this is much more rounded in exploring the whole band...its origins, influences and their influence on British rock music.

Director Grant Gee was present to answer questions and give some insight into the making of the movie. It ostensibly came about because "Control" made the other members of the band "look like c***s" and JD was a chance for them to tell their side of the whole story.

It was an enjoyable documentary and anyone who previously didn't know Curtis had epilepsy was made aware of this.

Full of live performance clips and a small interview clip of Curtis speaking (all too rare, sadly), it will be of interest to fans and anyone interested in the history of post-punk music, especially as it was recently released on DVD.

7/10

Thanks for the heads up - must get that on DVD.

I went to see a French film titled 'Il y a longtemps que je t'aime' (I've loved you so long) on saturday. It stars Kristin Scott Thomas who has been released after 15 years in prison for committing a terrible crime. The film has been described as the best French film since Amelie and relies on strong human relationships and has the theme of guilt running through it. Amazing performance by Scott Thomas and a good twist at the end.

8/10

The Mummy : Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Yet more fun from this lot, and it doesn't seem to have dropped in quality since last time. This is definately a case of "leave your brains at the door".

6/10

i thought this was one of the worst films i've seen recently

4/10

the other 2 were mile better

i thought this was one of the worst films i've seen recently

4/10

the other 2 were mile better

Aye, that's what I gave it. We made up a better version during it as it was so stupid.

I still demand a mummy, as there was none in the film!! :angry:

Thanks for the heads up - must get that on DVD.

There's a bit where Peter Hook says he was the first to find out IC had died when he got a phone call from the Police. He and his missus were at Sunday lunch and after the call he just continued tucking into his food. "Who was that?" his missus said, "oh just the Police, they said that Ian had committed suicide" and he continued eating.

As Hooky said, in those days, men didn't talk about depression or what was troubling them and he and Bernard didn't even go the wake after the funeral because "they were 22 and far more interested in going to the pub". He then said that was the biggest regret in his life, not going.

The 25th Hour - 8.5/10

I've just finished watching it, and to be honest it blew me away.

Edward Norton is tremendous in it as a likeable gangster who has 1 day left before he goes to jail for 7 years and trying to work out who among his friends/family/associates he can trust. Not that i would know, but it seemed so realistic the way he seems to accept his fate at first, but as his D-Day draws closer starts sizing up his options eg running and going into hiding.

Good performances too from Philip Seymour Hoffman and Barry Pepper as his lifelong friends who are trying to cope in different ways with Norton's dilemma. Brian Cox is solid as usual as his father.

Truly engrossing.

The 25th Hour - 8.5/10

I've just finished watching it, and to be honest it blew me away.

Edward Norton is tremendous in it as a likeable gangster who has 1 day left before he goes to jail for 7 years and trying to work out who among his friends/family/associates he can trust. Not that i would know, but it seemed so realistic the way he seems to accept his fate at first, but as his D-Day draws closer starts sizing up his options eg running and going into hiding.

Good performances too from Philip Seymour Hoffman and Barry Pepper as his lifelong friends who are trying to cope in different ways with Norton's dilemma. Brian Cox is solid as usual as his father.

Truly engrossing.

An Edward Norton film. I must watch it! :D

In The Name of the Father ( 1993 )

Jesus christ, this was phenomenal stuff. You'd never guess what was to come from the first 20 minutes. It's all uphill from the intense interrogation scenes though.

10/10

How many films have you given (or would give) 10/10? You only have to list them if you have them stored on IMDb (or equivalent).

I'm at 25 just now.

[REC]

The Wizard of Oz

Unforgiven

The Truman Show

Star Wars : The Empire Strikes Back

The Shawshank Redemption

Se7en

Reservoir Dogs

Magnolia

Pan's Labyrinth

In The Name of the Father

The Godfather Part 2

Fight Club

E.T.

The Conversation

Breaking the Waves

Blade Runner

12 Angry Men

The Cottage (2008)

Reece Shearsmith and Andy Serkis try their best to save this monstrosity after the main protagonist of shite (Jennifer Ellison) kills thankfully killed off not a moment too soon, about half way in!

Your basic spoof formula goes pretty well as Shearsmith holds the comedy side together and Serkis is very good at deadpanning his comedic moments.

A few nods to the League of Gentlemen, and the main story is taken from TCM.

A good cameo appearance from Doug Bradley as a local, that almost made up for 45 minutes of Jennifer Ellison's whining fucking voice, and hackett fucking face.

3/10

Hunger

Saw a preview and it really is brilliant. Minimum 8 but probably 9 out of 10. The huge, one take scene between Bobby Sands and the priest that will make all the press is simply amazing. The only reason not to see this film is if you'll barf at the sight of shite smeared all over walls - there's a lot of that. I'm sure a lot of people will have preconceptions about this one but I doubt it will be exactly what you expect. It really does manage to focus on the human side of what was going on in the Maze prison at that time without being a political lecture.

Catch it if you can though I don't know if I'd fancy watching it in Glasgopw Cineworld on a Saturday night.

Guest dougalldogg

Freedomwriters

Second time I watched it last night, absolutely brilliant movie, really gripping storyline, even though I had already seen it couldnt turn it over when I saw it was on

9/10