What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

A horror for me needs to involve at least one act of impossibility as the MAIN theme of the film

I don't agree with this one bit. All I think a horror needs is for it's sole purpose to be scaring the viewer. That's all.

I don't agree with this one bit. All I think a horror needs is for it's sole purpose to be scaring the viewer. That's all.

No films are scary, the most I ever get is a wee shock when people jump out, but that happens in any type of film even kids films.

Dracula certainly doesn't meet your criteria.

No films are scary, the most I ever get is a wee shock when people jump out, but that happens in any type of film even kids films.

Dracula certainly doesn't meet your criteria.

You're missing my point. Kids films don't necessarily have the sole purpose of being scary movies. Well, maybe for kids. What I'm talking about is a movie which is solely made for the purpose of scaring the people that watch it. Not just having scenes which are scary. The SOLE purpose of the movie is to be scary. That's what I reckon a horror movie is.

Whether Dracula meets that criteria or not is irrelevant. I never said anything about that movie.

And whether you get scared by movies or not isn't exactly relevant either. Just because you don't get scared by a movie, doesn't mean the movie isn't supposed to scare you.

Sorry for the double post, but ...

Paranoid Park ( 2007 )

A frustrating movie. Constantly littered with music which, while fitting the tone of the scenes, completely take away from the movie, as there is just too much of it. The needless disjointing of the first half an hour. Once we get properly going, and the movie starts moving along the way it should have, they decide that THIS is the point to slow things down and change direction. Where there should have been empathy for the main character, there is only apathy. Thumbs leaning slightly down for this one.

4/10

You're missing my point. Kids films don't necessarily have the sole purpose of being scary movies. Well, maybe for kids. What I'm talking about is a movie which is solely made for the purpose of scaring the people that watch it. Not just having scenes which are scary. The SOLE purpose of the movie is to be scary. That's what I reckon a horror movie is.

Whether Dracula meets that criteria or not is irrelevant. I never said anything about that movie.

And whether you get scared by movies or not isn't exactly relevant either. Just because you don't get scared by a movie, doesn't mean the movie isn't supposed to scare you.

But when you watch a film and you don't know what it's meant to be, you can only judge it on what you see.

For example, Don't Look Down has acrophobia as it's main theme, so perhaps could be considered a horror to anyone who suffers from it, but to nobody else.

In the same way that The Descent would for claustrophobics (although it is a horror as there was an impossibility in it), I didn't like that film for that reason, although it was decent enough when they weren't in the very narrow tunnels.

But when you watch a film and you don't know what it's meant to be, you can only judge it on what you see.

For example, Don't Look Down has acrophobia as it's main theme, so perhaps could be considered a horror to anyone who suffers from it, but to nobody else.

In the same way that The Descent would for claustrophobics (although it is a horror as there was an impossibility in it), I didn't like that film for that reason, although it was decent enough when they weren't in the very narrow tunnels.

I've not seen Don't Look Down, but The Descent is an interesting one to pick. I reckon that, if it was just a bunch of people down there and not the ... well, whatever they are, then it'd still be a horror, because it's main purpose is to f**k with the mind by USING the claustrophobic surroundings and using the dark as a tool to frighten as well.

I've bolded what you said about Don't Look Down because it's a pretty good point. It's all subjective I suppose.

French flik called Irreversible.

Not that great a film but well worth a watch for the monica bellucci Rape scene, which is as real,brutal and as violent as you will ever see in a movie. Add in the the murder scene which is regarded as one of the most violent murders in cinema and the film is worth a watch.

A horror for me needs to involve at least one act of impossibility as the MAIN theme of the film

So you think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a horror then? :P

Surely a 'horror' film by definition is one which depicts horrific situations in an horrific manner, purely for the purpose of eliciting fear/terror from the viewer? I don't think whether the situation is 'possible' has anything to do with it. I would consider the likes of Halloween and Friday 13th to be 'horror' films despite the main premise of each one being entirely possible. A horror film can also take a physical form (zombies, monsters, etc), or a psychological one (The Shining, Psycho, etc).

I also don't think whether YOU have ever been scared by a film is at all relevant to the definitions of the genre. ;)

For someone who watches so many films, you don't half talk utter shite. At least for once you didn't just lift this straight from IMDB.

Suspiria IS Argentos masterpiece. To pretend you know of his work then say "what the f**k was he thinking" is sheer ignorance. It has everything that Argento strived to include in every one of his films: brutal murder, vivid primary colours, supernatural forces etc. Suspiria was also the last film to be processed in Technicolor, it gives it a superb dream-like edge.

It's a fantastic film and I am cringing already thinking about what shite will be churned out of Hollywood with Natalie "I helped ruin Star Wars" Portman mincing about in it.

So Salty, f**k off back to watching Cannibal Rapist Mice eaters.

I pretend to to know of his work. Where? I said they "tend to be obscure in content", the titles give the nature of the content away. ;) I've only seen Two Evil Eyes and Suspiria, both crap.

It's a terrible film, which would only be interesting if high as the story is very boring and the acting terrible.

Vivid primary colours? Who's reading straight from a camp review of the film???

There was one brutal murder in Suspiria. It's not a masterpiece at all, it's an arty film which is just very bad and not enjoyable in the slightest.

Your last couple of comments just scream of a child who is upset about his favourite film being disliked, especially as you seem to have misinterpreted another comment (my fault, a comma was missed out :oops ) :rolleyes:

So you think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a horror then? :P

Surely a 'horror' film by definition is one which depicts horrific situations in an horrific manner, purely for the purpose of eliciting fear/terror from the viewer? I don't think whether the situation is 'possible' has anything to do with it. I would consider the likes of Halloween and Friday 13th to be 'horror' films despite the main premise of each one being entirely possible. A horror film can also take a physical form (zombies, monsters, etc), or a psychological one (The Shining, Psycho, etc).

I also don't think whether YOU have ever been scared by a film is at all relevant to the definitions of the genre. ;)

In a way it could be easily be a horror, yes. It depends how you look at the character of Willy Wonka, who was a very evil individual who invites children to his factory where he lives in a reclusive manner with sadistic midgets and kills them for his twisted pleasure. They only survive as it's a kids book/film, although it could easily by interpreted in a very different way!

In fact that has probably been made in some guise or another!

In a way it could be easily be a horror, yes. It depends how you look at the character of Willy Wonka, who was a very evil individual who invites children to his factory where he lives in a reclusive manner with sadistic midgets and kills them for his twisted pleasure.

By your logic that can't be a horror. An evil individual who invites children to his reclusive abode and does twisted things to them isn't exactly an impossible scenario.

In fact, in real life it's called Gary Glitter! Just without the midgets.

By your logic that can't be a horror. An evil individual who invites children to his reclusive abode and does twisted things to them isn't exactly an impossible scenario.

In fact, in real life it's called Gary Glitter! Just without the midgets.

The impossibility is the magical sweets, they are mentioned in the title of the film and are the MAIN theme of the film.

Actually, how terrifying would a film about Gary Glitter and his midget army of the night be?

You seriously think that magical sweets are the main theme of that film? :lol:

The chocolate factory is the main theme, yes, as it's a children's film.

The main theme from an adult perspective, at least mine anyway, would be greed and how the poor people can restrain themselves better than the rich ones, so are rewarded by doing so.