What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The X Files - Fight The Future ( 1998 )

Don't know if that's the right year. I've got it down anyways. Really good movie from a TV show which I didn't like all that much. It seems to have made the jump to the big screen pretty well here, so I look forward to seeing the new one.

8/10

Right year, but there was no subtitle in the end. Just called The X Files Movie.

Right year, but there was no subtitle in the end. Just called The X Files Movie.

It's weird, Fight The Future was the tagline and the working title but now seems to be regarded as part of the full title, for some bizarre reason.

It's weird, Fight The Future was the tagline and the working title but now seems to be regarded as part of the full title, for some bizarre reason.

Weird!

I know it wasn't there when I saw it in the cinema, and bought the video (I feel old saying "bought the video" :( )

Suburbia (1984) 7/10

Not bad film about a group of punks squatting on the outskirts of town who get on the wrong side of the busybody residents who then try to drive them out of town, starring Flea, T.S.O.L , The Vandals and D.I

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008)

A load of complete nonsense, watchable nonsense but nothing more. We came out of the cinema trying to think of things that were missing given the ludicrous fucking yetis and the fact there wasn't a fucking mummy in it!

We came up with mermaids, penguins, a guy with a very big head and Aslan.

4/10

Two movies watched today ...

The Island ( 2005 )

You have to make allowances for Michael Bay movies. Ridiculous plot and almost infuriating ending can be ignored for some fantastic action and good laughs. Bay is always good at the braindead action movie, and this is no exception to that rule. The movie is TOO ridiculous at times, and brings the score down, but if you want to switch off for two hours, this isn't bad.

6/10

and ...

Saw III (2006)

Not quite the better Saw movie, that's for sure. There's some good stuff going on, and the plot involving the guy and his son and vengeance is all fun. The whole thing isn't nearly involving enough. Couldn't give a shit about the doctor, or his apprentice, and the flashbacks never helped either.

5/10

Dead Man's Shoes

It's just been on channel 4 although i have seen it before. If you are a fan of cult British movies certainly give this one a go.

Paddy Constadine is great as the psycopathic brother of a retarded, bullied teenager and is seeking revenge for the ritual piss-taking of his brother.

Deep, dark, honest, with a good supporting cast

9/10

Two movies watched today ...

The Island ( 2005 )

You have to make allowances for Michael Bay movies. Ridiculous plot and almost infuriating ending can be ignored for some fantastic action and good laughs. Bay is always good at the braindead action movie, and this is no exception to that rule. The movie is TOO ridiculous at times, and brings the score down, but if you want to switch off for two hours, this isn't bad.

6/10

It gets extra points for Scarlet Johansson running around in a skin tight lycra number for the first hour or so. :D

Bloodbath at the House of Death (1984)

Horror spoof starring Vincent Price, Pamela Stephenson, Kenny Everett and John Fortune showing Scary Movie how to do it properly!

Comedy gold if you love horror films, especially seeing Vincent Price in a comedy role!

8/10

Shooter - bog standard conspiracy type film. Was pretty good though. 7/10

I watched it the other night and really enjoyed it. Its deserving of an 8 at least surely? 8/10 for me :D

Hell Asylum 5/10

A haunted house is the setting for a new reality show with 5 hot chicks and surprise surprise a real maniac is in the house killing everyone. The front cover proudly proclaimed "the bodycount has to be seen to be believed." It was 10 :rolleyes:

Don't Look Down (1998) (TV)

Wes Craven presents... (Well we all know what that really means!)

Pretty decent film about acrophobia that doesn't quite build up the sense of fear as well as The Descent (albeit a different fear). It's not a horror so you know there's going to be a Scooby Doo style twist at some point, and it was done fairly well.

6/10

Suspiria (1977)

Dario Argento's films tend to be obscure in content, but this was beyond that! I have no Earthly idea what the f**k he was thinking with this pile of shite!!

It was on Film4's films to see before you die, and I lost the will to live watching it, so surely that counts?!?!?

It's being remade in 2010 with Natalie Portman, so that can only be an improvement!

I'm going to give it a bonus mark for some silly cow climbing out a window to fall onto a roof covered in barbed wire, but apart from that there really was nothing positive to say about this!

2/10

In Bruges - 9/10

Quite possibly one of the strangest films I've seen yet it was excellent at the same time. The comedy in the film obviously wont be to everyone's taste but for those that like dark comedies they will love it. I've not seen a lot of Colin Farrell's films, well actually don't think I've seen any, so wasn't quite sure what to expect from him but along with Brendan Gleeson they were both really good together and gave very good performences.

Also Chloe (her real name has just escaped from my head) is fine! :wub:

The Kingdom ( 2007 )

Not a bad movie at all. I've seen all sorts of people say "it doesn't know whether it wants to be political or an action movie", and it's a REALLY dumb thing to say. It gets the politics out of the way early purely so it CAN be an action movie. Even as an action movie, you don't get much in the way of action, but the build up to the crazy last section is pretty good, with all of the road blocks in the way of the FBI trying to figure out what happened.

7/10

I've saw you post this after a number of films, including, bizarrely, Dracula.

What, in your eyes, constitutes a 'horror' then?

Bram Stoker's Dracula isn't a horror, it's a homoerotic (anyone who thinks vampirism is anything more really needs to look a damn sight deeper!) fantasy romance novel. Have you never read the actual book?

The vampires are fairly irrelevant in comparison to the main love story between Jonathan Harker and Mina Murray, and the rivalry from the Count.

Had to go and see what you were quoting, Don't Look Down, isn't a horror as there is no impossibilities. It's entirely possible, it's just a straight forward murder by a man, that goes wrong so he has to come up with an over-elaborate scheme to make it look like his wife is going insane.

A horror for me needs to involve at least one act of impossibility as the MAIN theme of the film, unlike Dracula where although it has the vampires they more than take second nature to the love story, making it a romantic fantasy (albeit a very boring one!)