What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

65 I don't like to be too critical of any particular film, but this felt like the Jurassic Park dinosaurs were still on hire for another five days so they were offered out to any other takers, and this was the result. Heard someone else say 'that was a 4' on their way out and they surely meant out of ten, not five.  

Champions Another take on the 'grizzled old coach takes on a team of underdogs' theme, but they made a decent fist of it with every character drawing you in.  A bit of fun if you want to switch off for a couple of hours.    

I think it's fair to categorise EEAO's dominance as a "sweep." 

It's been fun following it from being a random wee film with a bit of buzz behind it to becoming this huge phenomenon. You don't get that quite as much in the UK where a lot of Oscars films either release here with a lot of nominations attached or tend to be pretty hyped up regardless. 

Happy enough that it won. Nice to see a "fun" film win for once and sci-fi has been ludicrously overlooked in the past. Star Wars lost out to Annie Hall and 2001 wasn't even nominated, FFS. Would have liked Kerry Condon to have won but you can't have everything. It's pretty mad that Short Round now has more Oscars than Harrison Ford.

On 09/03/2023 at 11:09, DA Baracus said:

Haha aye, definitely has that element! It's strangely not as bad, for the most part, when they're actually at the top.

Reveal hidden contents

The twist that her pal was snagging her husband was obvious as soon as there were questions over whose arm was in the photo but the twist of her not actually making the jump was really well done. I read that you can actually hear her land on the dish instead of the bag so I went back to watch that part again and sure enough you hear her land. There's other clues too like her not taking any water when offered and not getting sunburned and knackered looking, and of course her not catching the bag when it falls when they're trying to charge the drone. 

Also I did chuckle when she said she was only snagging her pal's husband for four months but it was seemingly long enough to get a large tattoo on her foot.

I gave this a watch last night for the princely sum of £1.99 on Prime. Very enjoyable and sweaty palm inducing. As for the twists...

Spoiler

When the affair was revealed I was convinced the movie would end with the guilty one saving her friend by chucking herself off the tower with her phone, posting to social media on the way down. This would have been better than the next twist, which was a bit random I thought.

After Sun

Ace. Bit of a weird accent from the big Irish lad, who appears to be doing an impression of Sick Boy’s accent eh but I soon got over that. He’s excellent and there’s an incredible performance by young Frankie Corio. Felt like I was watching Matt Damon in Team America. What great acting! 

Saw Barry Jenkins’ name on the credits and there’s definitely a hint of Moonlight about it.

All things considered, I was pretty pleased with the outcome of the Oscars. Was happy for EEAAO, Brendan Fraser, and as happy for A24 as much as someone can be happy for a studio, but generally they make good movies that I'm interested in. Out of 23 categories, I pipped Mrs MSU and our youngest by predicting 13 winners correctly to their 12. The only big shock of the night was Jamie Lee Curtis picking up Best Supporting Actress in a very strong year. Out of the nominees, she'd have probably been my fourth pick. I mean, who remembers much of her role in EEAAO, especially compared with Hong Chau or Kerry Condon or even Stephanie Hsu? My prediction of Banshees being nominated for everything and winning nothing came true, glad that Elvis and Fabelmans came away empty-handed too, and the only real regret of the night was that Aftersun wasn't nominated for more.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I gave this a watch last night for the princely sum of £1.99 on Prime. Very enjoyable and sweaty palm inducing. As for the twists...

Hide contents

When the affair was revealed I was convinced the movie would end with the guilty one saving her friend by chucking herself off the tower with her phone, posting to social media on the way down. This would have been better than the next twist, which was a bit random I thought.

I liked the second twist. Didn't see it coming at all, but there's loads of clues if you watch it back.

House Party 2022 - Not a patch on the original movie with Kid'N Play but I managed to sit through this till the end. Some funny parts in it. The bloopers at the end were probably the funniest though. Soundtrack ok but again not where near as good as the original.

Edited by ScotiaNostra

17 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

One of your all time favourites and you give it 7.5/10? Tough crowd.

The system:

• No Kurt Russell? Docked 1 point.
  • Fails the Bechdel Test? Another point gone.
  • Nothing sexually arousing? That's another one away.

...and so on. John Carpenter's The Thing is my #1 film, and it still only gets a 9/10. Harsh but fair.

20 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The only 10/10 movie is Cooling Runnings.

Sighting of Kurt Russell required for confirmation.

Edit: going forward, Wyatt Russell may now be considered as a suitable alternative.

Edited by BFTD

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't pass the Bechdel Test, either. Sexually arousing? Well, John Candy was a big bundle of fun, I suppose.

Been too long for me to comment on the former. The latter is open to interpretation.

Scream VI. Went into this for some reason not realising it was a direct sequel to the last one (I thought they were all standalone movies after the reboot) and thought this was pretty decent before falling away badly at the end.

Not really spoilers but I'll put it in here just to be safe 

Spoiler

The final reveal of who the killer is was near Scooby Doo villain reveal level of rubbish.

Also I know this isn't a series that is always deadly serious but it felt like every character was stabbed multiple times and several of them just walk it off like it's nothing to comical effect.