What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

8 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Interstellar never fails to amaze me or move me to tears.

Likewise. It's an absolute brilliant film. I saw it at the cinema and loved it. Seen a few times since. Would watch it more but want to overdo it unless it gets a bit too familiar and loses some sheen.

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m like that with the movie ‘A.I. Artificial Intelligence’. Just love that film.

I found A.I. incredibly boring. Not a fan!

On 25/08/2022 at 22:24, Fullerene said:

When Star Trek started on the television, science fiction was regarded as "not for adults".  The original series was in competition with the like of "Lost in Space".  Yes it had crap episodes but that was in contrast to other shows where almost every episode was crap (e.g. Lost in Space, Time Tunnel  and Land of the Giants).

Then along comes Star Wars.  I definitely prefer Star Trek but Star Wars allowed science fiction to be taken seriously.  Hence, somebody decided to re-awaken Star Trek. 

The Motion Picture did everything wrong that Star Wars did wrong - hey special effects, irrelevant storyline etc.  Wrath of Khan got it back on course.  End of story.

In the late 70s plans to revive Star Trek were much further down the road than most folk think. Phase II was to be a revived TV show with the original cast (except Leonard Nimoy, who wasn't interested) and a bunch of new faces also. They had cast the new Vulcan, were building new sets and had a load of scripts written. It was most certainly happening. 

Then Star Wars came out and blew everyone away. Paramount ditched Phase II and commissioned The Motion Picture instead hoping it would have the same impact. The sets for Phase II were used. The scripts were reused in the early seasons of The Next Generation. 

All the money Paramount spent on Phase II (including hiring, paying, and letting go with a settlement actors who were supposed to be on the show but never actually did) was all counted as Motion Picture budget, which is why it seems really high. 

14 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m like that with the movie ‘A.I. Artificial Intelligence’. Just love that film.

I'll be buggered if I'm typing the whole story out again, but there was nearly a fight in the American showing of A.I. that I went to. Half the audience found it incredibly touching and emotional; the other half were pishing themselves laughing at what a risible, saccharin load of shite it all was. Several tear-drenched meltdowns from the first group. You just don't get that kind of entertainment in cinemas here.

Imagine working yourself up into such a state that you just had to deliver a monologue to a cinema screening about how nasty they were for laughing at a silly film about sex robots and creepy replacement children. I can't imagine it makes for better viewing in a post Black Mirror world.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

so-excited.gif

Enjoy - I won't be going, as my maw took a header during the week, so she's confined to base, and I think The Motion Picture put my son off anything Star Trek related for the rest of his life  :lol:

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Enjoy - I won't be going, as my maw took a header during the week, so she's confined to base, and I think The Motion Picture put my son off anything Star Trek related for the rest of his life  :lol:

TMP as a first experience was pretty brutal. He would be well within his rights to phone childline for that. 

Somehow watched 11 movies this week so I'll keep it brief.

102 Friday the 13th: A New Beginning -- Utter pish after the entertaining FInal Chapter and no Jason. Why bother? 3/10

103 Fall -- An annoying YouTuber and her annoying pal get stuck up the top of a massive TV tower in the middle of nowhere. 'Mon the vultures. 4/10

104 Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives -- Cracking fun that decides to be funny on purpose rather than by accident. It's like Friday the 13th meets Police Academy or something actually funny. 8/10

105 Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood -- Addition of a telekinetic character is a mistake. Bulk of points awarded for the sleeping bag into a tree kill. 3/10 

106 Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan -- The Paramount years for the franchise go out with a whimper as Jason takes forever to get to Manhattan on a boat. Not fun, not funny, very boring. 2/10

107 Lady Bird (#58 in the A24 series) -- Fly away home. 10/10

108 The Disaster Artist (#59 in the A24 series) -- James Franco playing a guy who can't act, eh? Fly not so close to the sun, o Icarus, lest your wings melt. Only so many laughs you can get from "Oh, hi, Mark" but it's a surprisingly big number. 6/10

109 Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday -- New Line decides to get rid of Jason for long periods in favor of a worm transferred orally from one host body to another and isn't sexual in the slightest. Still better than Takes Manhattan bt it's close. 3/10

110 Wings (#1 in the Best Picture Oscar series) -- Two and a bit hours of silent cinema is a bit of a slog, but they packed an awful lot in. Clara Bow is extraordinary. 6/10

111 Jason X -- Shite, but enjoyable shite and contains the best kill in the franchise (face into liquid nitrogen). It's Jason in Space and I don't hate it. I don't hate it quite a bit, actually. 6/10

112 Three Thousand Years of Longing -- A djinn explains the stories of his life to Tilda Swinton who for some reason sounds like Alan Bennett. 7/10

Edited by MSU

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan (Director's cut)

Just great. Ever since I was a wee boy this has been my favourite movie. Seeing it on the big screen with a three-quarters full cinema of people was great. 

A fair amount of humour, particularly in the first 20 minutes or so. Then the drama just ramps up. 

Had a great night, and on my birthday too.

That's one thing off the bucket list.

a7sEAC.gif

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan (Director's cut)
Just great. Ever since I was a wee boy this has been my favourite movie. Seeing it on the big screen with a three-quarters full cinema of people was great. 
A fair amount of humour, particularly in the first 20 minutes or so. Then the drama just ramps up. 
Had a great night, and on my birthday too.
That's one thing off the bucket list.
a7sEAC.gif
Ricardo Montalban was just fantastic in the role of Khan.

Palm Springs - Its been getting good reviews but Im not really a fan of Andy Samberg and him being in it put me off. I couldnt find anything else to watch last night so stuck it on. Its a version of the groundhog day type plot. It was really good. Funny and moving, it could go from one to another quickly.  Samberg was good and Cristin Milotti was excellent. Some great supporting roles too

Well worth a watch

Edited by BigDoddyKane

La Haine

A day in the life of three French neds as they face up to police brutality and racial harassment in the wake of a riot in their Paris housing scheme.

An excellent film. Stylish, with a great soundtrack but also hard hitting.

10/10

On 04/09/2022 at 01:11, MSU said:

111 Jason X -- Shite, but enjoyable shite and contains the best kill in the franchise (face into liquid nitrogen). It's Jason in Space and I don't hate it. I don't hate it quite a bit, actually. 6/10

Does Jason X have the hologram bit where they try to distract him with sexually promiscuous teens? He ends up smashing two of them to death in their sleeping bags?

I mind thinking it was hilarious the first time I saw it.

45 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Does Jason X have the hologram bit where they try to distract him with sexually promiscuous teens? He ends up smashing two of them to death in their sleeping bags?

I mind thinking it was hilarious the first time I saw it.

Yes! It's a bit of a series homage to him smashing another one into a tree in an earlier outing but it's particularly funny in this one.

The Proposition

A decent revisionist Aussie western with Ray Winston, Guy Pearce and Danny Huston. It's got a strong premise but bottles the ending a bit. Nick Cave wrote the script and was inspired by Peter Carey's True History Of The Kelly Gang which i've read a couple of times but still haven't gotten round to watching the film of. It focuses on the story of 3 Irish brothers but it's far more interesting when the Aboriginal characters are the focus.

Edited by Detournement