What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Prey (entirely legal download) - at the start of the 18th century, a Native American tribe attract the attention of a suspiciously be-dreadlocked visitor.

This was really good - it doesn't really do a lot different in terms of story but, as with the original, it just does it all so well. Dan Trachtenberg seems to get involved in quality productions. It has a very different feel to any of the other films; much more grounded and genuine, while maintaining some real visual flair. Our heroine's a proper badass too, and Amber Midthunder reminded me a lot of Aubrey Plaza, which is no bad thing. Pretty much the only complaint I have is that Disney CG'd over the practical effects and, much like The Thing prequel, the leaked video of the original effects look much better.

The 'Predators throughout history' idea is more interesting than what they'd been doing up to now, so we'll see where they go from here. It certainly seemed like this Predator was exploring Earth as a new planet. I did like the Predator 2 tie-in at the end too; I think I'd have seen it coming if the film hadn't been so engaging, but it was a delightful touch.

Edit: interesting that Disney seem to have decided that Fox's big cinematic sci-fi properties are better suited to streaming these days. Looks like a shrewd move.

Edited by BFTD

The Wrestler - Mickey Rourke as a washed up pro wrestler who can't break his self destructive habits. You can tell it was made right after Chris Benoit murdered but it doesn't get preachy and it portrays the wrestlers really positively with everyone supporting each other. It's also got Marissa Tomei as a stripper which you don't expect to see from a big name actress who was in her mid 40s at the time, I was quite shocked when her character appeared. 

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - A musical caper with Marilyn Monroe as an unashamed gold digger and Jane Russell as her good time gal best friend. Russell gets all the best gags and Marilyn gets to shake her arse. 

Norwegian Wood - An adaptation of the Haruki Murakami novel. I had forgotten how ridiculous the plot is despite having read the book a few times in my 20s but just like the book it doesn't really matter as it more about the mood and the characters.

Galveston - A twist on the old hit man on the run with a younger woman story with Ben Foster and Elle Fanning. It's written by Nic Pizzolatto who created True Detective and it's a got similar feel. It's directed by Melanie Laurent (she played Shosanna in Inglorious Basterds) who uses the same sort of long close up shots during the action sequences that everyone loved so much in TD back in the day and she also drops in one of the most brutal shots i've seen in a while near the end. The on the run scenes are much better than the third act rush to give it a typical crime film ending. 

21 hours ago, accies1874 said:

136. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad (1988)* - Netflix

When it’s funny, it’s really funny. Does have a few wonky moments where the jokes feel like jokes, but it’s best when it’s played somewhat straight, at least from Frank, and it’s his oblivious oafishness while trying to be competent that’s the source of laughs. You don’t often get to the third act not caring about how the plot concludes because you just wanna see how the protagonist makes a fool of himself, but that was definitely the case for me here.

OJ was a truly great comic actor. He had so much more to give.

Just had a look at his IMDB and he hasn't appeared in anything of note since 1994! Strange, must've just fancied settling down with his wife or something.

39 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
7 hours ago, Detournement said:

Just had a look at his IMDB and he hasn't appeared in anything of note since 1994! Strange, must've just fancied settling down with his wife or something.

It's a tragedy but at least we have his posts. 

Has anyone seen bullet train? Really don’t know if I enjoyed it or not. Started out as what seemed like perfectly acceptable Guy Ritchie type stuff then just descended in to absolute nonsense.
Brian Tyree Henry also putting on one of the worst English accents I’ve ever heard but I can’t tell if it was deliberate or not.
Went to see it tonight and thought it was a great fun action movie. Pretty funny too.

Once (2007)

Nice wee Irish film set in Dublin about a guy who's a busker and a girl, a Czech immigrant who sells flowers in the streets. You never find out either of their names which adds to the charm as they meet and immediately hit it off as they both love music and seem to share similar problems with their love lives. She helps him record a demo CD over a few days and along the way there's some interesting charcters a few funny moments and the film never gets too sentimental. Incidentally Bob Dylan liked this film so much he invited both lead characters to open for him on part of his World tour.

8.5/10

Watched a guid film last night: 'X+Y' with Eddie Marsan, Sally Hawkins, Rafe Spall, and Asa Butterfield being brilliant. You can shove you action movies - films about math(s) is where it's at, kidz! Spoiler - turns out it's not really about math(s) after all!

I also watched 'Whiplash'. which isn't about math(s) either, but is very much my tempo!

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Cut (cinema) - travel back through time to 1979, after the suits have realised that there's some money to be made from this Star Trekking thing that the kids like. The Enterprise crew are back; older and charged with investigating a dangerous, mysterious murdercloud that's on a collision course with Earth.

Hadn't seen this in a long time. It really is quite dull, with the audience seemingly expected to be mainly entertained by the effects and the novelty of seeing the cast of their favourite TV show again, neither of which are things that work for a modern audience, even with the added CG polish. Doesn't help that it's a rehash of an old episode, which can't have amused fans at the time. Still, given that it was obviously a film made to be a big-screen spectacle, I'm glad we went to see it.

@scottsdad - my son was most amused by the giant space sphincters, and finally lost his shit when Spock went to "penetrate the orifice". Oh my. Think I'm going to have some difficulty dragging him along to Wrath of Khan now, no matter how much better I tell him it is! Happy birthday; a drink or two beforehand might make it seem more interesting?

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Cut (cinema) - travel back through time to 1979, after the suits have realised that there's some money to be made from this Star Trekking thing that the kids like. The Enterprise crew are back; older and charged with investigating a dangerous, mysterious murdercloud that's on a collision course with Earth.

Hadn't seen this in a long time. It really is quite dull, with the audience seemingly expected to be mainly entertained by the effects and the novelty of seeing the cast of their favourite TV show again, neither of which are things that work for a modern audience, even with the added CG polish. Doesn't help that it's a rehash of an old episode, which can't have amused fans at the time. Still, given that it was obviously a film made to be a big-screen spectacle, I'm glad we went to see it.

@scottsdad - my son was most amused by the giant space sphincters, and finally lost his shit when Spock went to "penetrate the orifice". Oh my. Think I'm going to have some difficulty dragging him along to Wrath of Khan now, no matter how much better I tell him it is! Happy birthday; a drink or two beforehand might make it seem more interesting?

I am seeing the motion picture tomorrow. It will be shite but looking forward to it. 

21 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Watched a guid film last night: 'X+Y' with Eddie Marsan, Sally Hawkins, Rafe Spall, and Asa Butterfield being brilliant. You can shove you action movies - films about math(s) is where it's at, kidz! Spoiler - turns out it's not really about math(s) after all!

Enjoyed it too but found the ending a bit pat and unrealistic.

Top Gun Maverick

Genuinely impressed by this. Not just the action, which was incredible, especially the last half hour, but the story was clever and well suited to a sequel of a thirty year old movie. Wished I had seen it in the cinema now I'm sure it would have looked incredible.

Say what you want about Cruise but the son of a bitch knows how to make entertaining movies.

The Best of Times

Charming little 80's comedy with Robin Williams and Kurt Russell about them replaying their high school football match twenty years later after williams fumbled the ball in the first one.