What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Sherpa (Netflix)

Eye opening account of the experience of Nepalese Sherpas who guide rich white folk up Everest. No surprise that the people that run the expedition companies appear to be heartless, money grabbing scum. Particularly Russell Bryce who keeps referring to them as militant for demanding better conditions and pay after 13 people die in an avalanche. Also to the scumbag American climber who makes reference to speaking to their "owners" to get them fired before also calling them terrorists.

3 hours ago, Crazy Days said:

Had the misfortune to watch the remake of Father of the Bride with Andy Garcia. One of the worst things I have ever watched.

Is it a straight remake of the remake?

Andy Garcia is not exactly the first person I’d think of in the Steve Martin role

So that'll be two shit remakes of Father of the Bride.

I've never seen the Spencer Tracy film - anyone know if we can make it a hat trick?

070 -- The Sea of Trees (#40 in A24 series) The overarching subject matter of Aokigahara, the Japanese Suicide Forest, is fascinating in a grim kind of way, and the cast is good, so this should be at least decent. Following a personal tragedy, Matthew McConaughey's character, Arthur, travels to Japan, to the suicide forest at Mount Fuji, to kill himself. Once there, he sees and rescues a Japanese businessman, played by Ken Watanabe, but the two of them become lost and soon rather than ending their lives, their focus shifts to survival and over the course of a night, they learn about themselves, each other, love, life, the universe, and everything. Cloyingly sentimental in its approach, there's a horrendous twist in the tail. 2/10 for the shots on the forest.

071 -- American Honey (#41 in the A24 series) Andrea Arnold isn't the most cheerful of film makers. This comes somewhere between Red Road and Cow, the depressing movie I saw earlier in the year about a dairy cow. Star is a young woman in her late teens, already lost in life, looking after her mother's kids, and living in fear from her abusive father. She meets charismatic Jake, Shia LaBeouf in his most Shia LaBeouf role, at a K-Mart and abandons her life to embark with him and a bus load of other young adults as they tour the midwest selling magazine subscriptions by any means necessary and getting up to exactly what you'd expect them to do. It's a movie that has you itching in the first fifteen minutes and it never really relents. With a handheld camera and what appears to be more ideas than a plot, Arnold employs a Cinéma Vérité style as this cast from a modern-day Oliver Twist moves through wealthy suburbs to slums to oil fields to Badlands, and along the way, maybe Star learns a few things about herself and life. At nearly three hours, it's the longest movie in the A24 catalogue and that's an awful lot of Shia LaBeouf. Would've been easier to like had it been an hour shorter. 6/10

072 -- Moonlight (#42 in the A24 series) The fact that La-La-Land was very briefly the Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards is made all the more ridiculous by how good Moonlight is. It's an extraordinarily good film with note-perfect performances throughout, an amazing score, and such an emotional experience. You watch it and for a moment or two, you feel a better person having seen it. 10/10

073 -- Supersonic (#43 in the A24 series) Two arsehole brothers start a band and as the band becomes bigger, they become bigger arseholes, until being massive arseholes is more important to them than being in the band. I like Oasis's music well enough, but I've never really fallen for the mystique of the Gallagher brothers, or agreed for a moment with their own sentiment that they were the biggest band in the world, so this insight into their lives and careers and one drug-fuelled fight after another became a little tiresome, but there were many cool moments, some light-hearted fun at a drummer's expense, and footage from rare performances so the attention isn't allowed to wander too far. 6/10

4 minutes ago, MSU said:

070 -- The Sea of Trees (#40 in A24 series) The overarching subject matter of Aokigahara, the Japanese Suicide Forest, is fascinating in a grim kind of way, and the cast is good, so this should be at least decent. Following a personal tragedy, Matthew McConaughey's character, Arthur, travels to Japan, to the suicide forest at Mount Fuji, to kill himself. Once there, he sees and rescues a Japanese businessman, played by Ken Watanabe, but the two of them become lost and soon rather than ending their lives, their focus shifts to survival and over the course of a night, they learn about themselves, each other, love, life, the universe, and everything. Cloyingly sentimental in its approach, there's a horrendous twist in the tail. 2/10 for the shots on the forest.

071 -- American Honey (#41 in the A24 series) Andrea Arnold isn't the most cheerful of film makers. This comes somewhere between Red Road and Cow, the depressing movie I saw earlier in the year about a dairy cow. Star is a young woman in her late teens, already lost in life, looking after her mother's kids, and living in fear from her abusive father. She meets charismatic Jake, Shia LaBeouf in his most Shia LaBeouf role, at a K-Mart and abandons her life to embark with him and a bus load of other young adults as they tour the midwest selling magazine subscriptions by any means necessary and getting up to exactly what you'd expect them to do. It's a movie that has you itching in the first fifteen minutes and it never really relents. With a handheld camera and what appears to be more ideas than a plot, Arnold employs a Cinéma Vérité style as this cast from a modern-day Oliver Twist moves through wealthy suburbs to slums to oil fields to Badlands, and along the way, maybe Star learns a few things about herself and life. At nearly three hours, it's the longest movie in the A24 catalogue and that's an awful lot of Shia LaBeouf. Would've been easier to like had it been an hour shorter. 6/10

072 -- Moonlight (#42 in the A24 series) The fact that La-La-Land was very briefly the Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards is made all the more ridiculous by how good Moonlight is. It's an extraordinarily good film with note-perfect performances throughout, an amazing score, and such an emotional experience. You watch it and for a moment or two, you feel a better person having seen it. 10/10

073 -- Supersonic (#43 in the A24 series) Two arsehole brothers start a band and as the band becomes bigger, they become bigger arseholes, until being massive arseholes is more important to them than being in the band. I like Oasis's music well enough, but I've never really fallen for the mystique of the Gallagher brothers, or agreed for a moment with their own sentiment that they were the biggest band in the world, so this insight into their lives and careers and one drug-fuelled fight after another became a little tiresome, but there were many cool moments, some light-hearted fun at a drummer's expense, and footage from rare performances so the attention isn't allowed to wander too far. 6/10

From where do you source your A24 movies?

Thor: Love & Thunder (cinema) - Thor Thors it up against another bad guy with another Thor and some of his regular chums.

It was OK. Probably the second-best Thor film. I just felt very underwhelmed by the whole thing; this cycle of Marvel films doesn't seem to be building to anything important, and it feels like they're treading water. It also felt to me like Taika Waititi was more concerned with continuing the stylised wackiness and glib dialogue of Ragnarok than building an engaging tale; even the much-spoilered introduction of Lady Thor felt like it needed more work at an early stage. Disappointing, although Christian Bale did very well with what he was given.

The wean loved it though, so what do I know.

Edit: this film literally plays half of Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses, along with posters, t-shirts, and other direct mentions. Very, very weird for a film to basically turn into an advertisement for a rock band - I liked them thirty years ago, but it got pretty irritating by the end. Also, I'm not a big fan of Dio, but playing Rainbow in the Dark during the credits was a bad idea as it pissed all over GnR  :lol:

Edited by BFTD

Young Frankenstein (1974)

From Wilder's mascara to Khan's lipstick to the couple on the trains to....

It's just magnificent from start to finish and eminently quotable (eg "walk this way"),  with career best performances from Wilder, Leachman, and Boyle with just the best support from Garr, Khan and Feldman.

All of the gear that went "bzzzzzz" was purloined  from the Universal Studios 1930s productions of "Frankenstein" and possibly the greatest thing about the film was that it was made in 1974, the same year that Brooks made Blazing Saddles.

Too many to do in one post without clogging up the thread so will split them into two. 

90-92. Cornetto Trilogy - DVD

Quite hard to articulate just how much I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Hot Fuzz is imo funnier in most ways, but Shaun of the Dead just makes me smile at the playfulness of its script. Edgar Wright creates playgrounds that are so much fun to be in, that feel both incredibly movie-like but also hard to comprehend just how he thinks of bringing it all together.

And then there’s The World’s End. A lot of the jokes feel way more forced, which kinda makes sense as they’re told by a troubled character (and I like how introspective it is), but Gary’s so annoying to be around that when he’s the source of your comedy, it’s hard to enjoy.

93. Baby Driver (2017) - DVD

World class entertainment, v funny, great details, well made. But…

There just is very little heart to it (except Joe’s 10 minutes of screentime). Baby and Debra are nothing characters, and while I like that Ansel Elgort isn’t your typical movie hero, he’s still too much of a void to care that much. However, that’s offset by the excellent heist characters who are brilliant and distinct. They left more of an impression on me than the two leads.

94. Last Night in Soho (2021) - DVD

What I loved about it last year remains – digging into nostalgia, intensity of some of the horror, sense of place, soundtrack – but the issues became more prominent. There was a real b-movie feel with its overacting, occasional bad dialogue and silliness which can be fun in different films but didn’t bring much here. It seemed to me that Edgar Wright was more interested in the 60s stuff so sorta glossed over the present day which made it feel half-baked.

95. Dashcam (2022)* - Rental

Pretty much has the same scare throughout the film: scary old woman behind an unaware character. This does work well a couple of times tbf, but for the entire runtime? Nah. Doesn’t help that the baddie’s ill-defined abilities combined with the characters’ aimless wandering reduces a lot of tension regarding what will happen next.

Also, see if you’re making a film, don’t have a constant stream of ‘live’ messages take up a decent portion of the screen. It’s so distracting to the main action, even if they’re more entertaining. They also abandon it for the scarier scenes which makes it feel a bit pointless, as if to just get through the ‘boring’ stuff.

96. Almost Famous: Extended Edition (2000)* - Sky

Should’ve really liked a film spending so long with a band but I couldn’t get on board with the tone of it. Hard to explain but just not for me.

97. She's All That (1999)* - Netflix

I think this might be the teen movie that everyone else parodies. Made me want to watch the Scooby Doo movie again.

98. Spring Breakers (2012)* - Prime

A strange, dreamy film that regularly repeats lines off-screen, had weird chronology and repeated scenes from a different point of view. I found it quite an interesting approach. I was quite taken aback at the start but it did set the tone well, although I still didn’t expect it to go in that direction. It looks fucking class too despite depicting an unappealing world. Sorta dreamlike, memories etc. 

99. Can't Hardly Wait (1998)* - Netflix

Surprisingly inventive and clever moments surrounded by rubbish. Those moments almost make me want to give it a pass though.

100. The Burning (1981)* - Arrow

It’s a shame this is a horror as the actual hangout movie elements of this are really enjoyable. Every time the fairly dull slasher stuff interrupted the drama I got pretty annoyed. Also, due to the nature of a lot of slashers, there’s a prologue death followed by about 45 minutes of no kills, so I genuinely forgot at points that folk were about to get iced.

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Young Frankenstein (1974)

From Wilder's mascara to Khan's lipstick to the couple on the trains to....

It's just magnificent from start to finish and eminently quotable (eg "walk this way"),  with career best performances from Wilder, Leachman, and Boyle with just the best support from Garr, Khan and Feldman.

All of the gear that went "bzzzzzz" was purloined  from the Universal Studios 1930s productions of "Frankenstein" and possibly the greatest thing about the film was that it was made in 1974, the same year that Brooks made Blazing Saddles.

Gene Hackmans cameo is brilliant.

On 20/03/2011 at 22:14, arab_joe said:

The story is very different, but the character that Matthew McConnaughie plays is almost exactly the same; I think the two of them are his best films by quite a distance.

He is a defence lawyer in a trial... but the setting is completely different, and the crimes completely different, and the theme of the film completely different.

I loved it.

The book is clearly better, in my view, but it is a very, very good adaptation.

The soundtrack is absolutely brilliant.

On 22/03/2011 at 01:38, Mr. Brightside said:

Indeed, knew it'd be good when Bobby Blue was playing at the start!

The TV drama series (with the same character) on Netflix is also very good.

Phantom Of The Open 7/10

Fantastic feel good film about a random bloke who blags his way into the qualifiers of the Open in the 70s. Golf snobs will no doubt turn their nose up at it but i loved it. The tremendous Mark Rylance plays the lead. Ps based on a true story

13 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Phantom Of The Open 7/10

Fantastic feel good film about a random bloke who blags his way into the qualifiers of the Open in the 70s. Golf snobs will no doubt turn their nose up at it but i loved it. The tremendous Mark Rylance plays the lead. Ps based on a true story

Same - watched this the other night and really enjoyed it even although you knew the outcome to a certain degree. Rylance was really good but felt at times I was watching Bobby Ball.

On 03/07/2022 at 14:52, BFTD said:

Prepare yourself for when he gets older. My son loved the Minions when the films first started coming out, but he's a teenager now and they're just a mindless capitalist cash-grab for idiots, maaaaaan.

Bit shit, as I'd quite like to go see it, but I don't fancy being glared at by mothers for turning up on my own to a film for young children. Especially as I know to keep my pants on now.

I took my youngest daughter.....

she's 28🤣

and enjoyed it....

074 -- Monster (#44 in the A24 series) See if you can guess what the monster *really* is. Zoe Kazan and Ella Ballentine star as a young alcoholic mother and her daughter. Lizzie has had enough of living with Kathy, her mom, so the two set off to Lizzie's dad so she can live with him and his new partner. On route, they hit a wolf in the road and total the car. On closer examination, they discover that something else killed the wolf and whatever it was, it's still out there. It's a small cast and I think primarily physical effects that use the most of the dark setting, but the story is dull and despite a couple of jumps it's pretty unsurprising. The metaphor couldn't be more obvious if it tried.

075 -- Official Competition. Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas star in a bit of a meta look at the nonsense involved in making a movie. It reminded me a bit of Living in Oblivion, but it has more of an obvious plotline and is in Spanish so maybe it isn't too similar. Cruz is the maniac director with crazy methods. Banderas is an aging box-office star of popular but lowbrow efforts while Oscar Martinez's Ivan is more of an actor's actor and the whole movie is pretty much about how the three of them piss each other off. Funny in places, but pretty predictable. Cruz's hair got its own dressing room.

On 09/07/2022 at 12:09, accies1874 said:

Too many to do in one post without clogging up the thread so will split them into two. 

90-92. Cornetto Trilogy - DVD

Quite hard to articulate just how much I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Hot Fuzz is imo funnier in most ways, but Shaun of the Dead just makes me smile at the playfulness of its script. Edgar Wright creates playgrounds that are so much fun to be in, that feel both incredibly movie-like but also hard to comprehend just how he thinks of bringing it all together.

And then there’s The World’s End. A lot of the jokes feel way more forced, which kinda makes sense as they’re told by a troubled character (and I like how introspective it is), but Gary’s so annoying to be around that when he’s the source of your comedy, it’s hard to enjoy.

93. Baby Driver (2017) - DVD

World class entertainment, v funny, great details, well made. But…

There just is very little heart to it (except Joe’s 10 minutes of screentime). Baby and Debra are nothing characters, and while I like that Ansel Elgort isn’t your typical movie hero, he’s still too much of a void to care that much. However, that’s offset by the excellent heist characters who are brilliant and distinct. They left more of an impression on me than the two leads.

94. Last Night in Soho (2021) - DVD

What I loved about it last year remains – digging into nostalgia, intensity of some of the horror, sense of place, soundtrack – but the issues became more prominent. There was a real b-movie feel with its overacting, occasional bad dialogue and silliness which can be fun in different films but didn’t bring much here. It seemed to me that Edgar Wright was more interested in the 60s stuff so sorta glossed over the present day which made it feel half-baked.

95. Dashcam (2022)* - Rental

Pretty much has the same scare throughout the film: scary old woman behind an unaware character. This does work well a couple of times tbf, but for the entire runtime? Nah. Doesn’t help that the baddie’s ill-defined abilities combined with the characters’ aimless wandering reduces a lot of tension regarding what will happen next.

Also, see if you’re making a film, don’t have a constant stream of ‘live’ messages take up a decent portion of the screen. It’s so distracting to the main action, even if they’re more entertaining. They also abandon it for the scarier scenes which makes it feel a bit pointless, as if to just get through the ‘boring’ stuff.

96. Almost Famous: Extended Edition (2000)* - Sky

Should’ve really liked a film spending so long with a band but I couldn’t get on board with the tone of it. Hard to explain but just not for me.

97. She's All That (1999)* - Netflix

I think this might be the teen movie that everyone else parodies. Made me want to watch the Scooby Doo movie again.

98. Spring Breakers (2012)* - Prime

A strange, dreamy film that regularly repeats lines off-screen, had weird chronology and repeated scenes from a different point of view. I found it quite an interesting approach. I was quite taken aback at the start but it did set the tone well, although I still didn’t expect it to go in that direction. It looks fucking class too despite depicting an unappealing world. Sorta dreamlike, memories etc. 

99. Can't Hardly Wait (1998)* - Netflix

Surprisingly inventive and clever moments surrounded by rubbish. Those moments almost make me want to give it a pass though.

100. The Burning (1981)* - Arrow

It’s a shame this is a horror as the actual hangout movie elements of this are really enjoyable. Every time the fairly dull slasher stuff interrupted the drama I got pretty annoyed. Also, due to the nature of a lot of slashers, there’s a prologue death followed by about 45 minutes of no kills, so I genuinely forgot at points that folk were about to get iced.

"She's all that" is absolutely brilliant. The characters are wonderfully written and the cast is great. Freddie Prinze jr is always highly likeable and I loved him in this. Also Rachel Lee Cook is an all time crush of mine. The dance scene at the prom to "funk soul brother" is a joy. Kevin Pollack as her dad is a tremendous choice too. Man, I need to watch this again.

I disagree with you a bit about Baby Driver. I felt that Lily Collins' charisma and chemistry with Baby lent real heart to the movie, and Ansel Elgort's blankness was ideal for that character. Jon Hamm was the absolute stand out in that film though. Great actor and great character. Superb soundtrack too.