What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Jurassic World Dominion

Not as shite as i thought it would be. However still kinda rehashing the earlier films with both scenes and storylines
Watched this last Friday - it was not as good as the 2 previous Jurassic World films but better than Jurassic Park III.

I wasn't helped by the disruptions throughout of adults and kids constantly getting up and going for a pee. I genuinely hate the 12A rating system.

Watched this last Friday - it was not as good as the 2 previous Jurassic World films but better than Jurassic Park III.

I wasn't helped by the disruptions throughout of adults and kids constantly getting up and going for a pee. I genuinely hate the 12A rating system.

Saw it on Sunday and it was a nightmare. Kids running around constantly, actually stomping up and down the stairs.

Unpopular opinion: Jurassic Park 3 was my favourite of the franchise.

I'm not a big fan of any of them, but I enjoyed that one most throughout. The original is the best until the T-Rex attack finishes, whereupon it turns into the kind of saccharine kiddie shite that Spielberg was obsessed with at the time. I might have appreciated it more if the raptors had murdered the piss out of the annoying kids in the tension-free kitchen scene.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Tbf adults can't behave in the cinema either

Hitler: The Last Ten Days

Alec Guinness plays Hitler hiding out in his bunker at the end of WW2 in this 1973 historical drama.

The same as Downfall but not as good. Hitler sounds like Obi Wan Kenobi and the rest of the Nazi high command came across like a bunch of English country gents.

Interesting, but nothing that I didn't know already.

5/10

Went through the Fantastic Beasts trilogy past week.

Really enjoyed it, despite the glaring plot problems and lack of continuity with parts of them. 

The lad who plays Jacob is the real star though. An absolutely magnificent performance throughout.

Scanners (DVD) - a young homeless man with uncontrolled psychic powers is recruited by a shadowy organisation to track down a similar, but dangerous foe.

I fucking love this film, even down to its wild mix of acting (from stiff and cheesy to Michael Ironside). It has a terrific score from Howard Shore too, with a goodly dose of threatening ambient sound to go with it. Cronenberg loves an enigmatic ending, and It's a bit of a disappointment when you arrive at this one, but only because it's a shame to leave this world of exploding heads and human modems.

It's also old enough now that it's transitioned from looking ancient in the Nineties, from the clothing down to the reel-to-reel computers, to seeming trendily retro.

I watched Titanic for the first time in many years last night. It's obviously too long, but still a tremendous movie.

A couple of things I remember picking up on the first time I saw it which I couldn't unsee this time. Firstly, it's a bit silly that the ship seemingly only hit the iceberg because the lookouts were distracted by Rose and Jack fooling around on deck below them.

Then, in the scene which had the entire cinema on the verge of tears back in the day (not me, someone must've been peeling onions nearby), where she lets him go before being rescued, I felt she could have made a bit more of an effort to make sure he was dead. She basically whispers his name a few times, shakes his hand a bit, then tips him into the sea. Harsh.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

I watched Titanic for the first time in many years last night. It's obviously too long, but still a tremendous movie.

A couple of things I remember picking up on the first time I saw it which I couldn't unsee this time. Firstly, it's a bit silly that the ship seemingly only hit the iceberg because the lookouts were distracted by Rose and Jack fooling around on deck below them.

Then, in the scene which had the entire cinema on the verge of tears back in the day (not me, someone must've been peeling onions nearby), where she lets him go before being rescued, I felt she could have made a bit more of an effort to make sure he was dead. She basically whispers his name a few times, shakes his hand a bit, then tips him into the sea. Harsh.

You wanted to see her finish him off?

Just about anything would've been an improvement in that film, so I'll go with it.

On 16/06/2022 at 15:22, Twinkle said:

Jurassic World Dominion

Not as shite as i thought it would be. However still kinda rehashing the earlier films with both scenes and storylines

The original was basically rehashing Westworld anyway. 

But dinosaurs are cooler than androids, except Yul Brynner. 

One Deadly Summer (1983)

I picked this off the BFI player recommendations without knowing anything about it because Isabelle Adjani stars in it and she was insanely hot back in the day. It starts off as a tame sex comedy and then takes a dark run as family secrets are revealed. Adjani is excellent playing a barely clothed and slightly psychotic 19 year old despite being in her late 20s and the second half of the film is gripping. It's very clever in the way that manipulates the viewer's expectations of Adjani's character as the film progresses.

Edited by Detournement

You need to pick cinema screenings carefully. The first couple of weeks, at least, for a new release are out of the question. Friday and Saturday nights are always out. In fact, the weekends in general are a poor choice.

Ideally you want to go during a weekday, in the morning, but of course this isn't feasible most of the time. Therefore Thursday nights are probably best since there are often promotions for Tuesday and Wednesday nights meaning it can be busier.

Also, if you live somewhere with a smaller cinema in addition to the chains, go there. When I lived in Aberdeen for uni I often went to Vue midday screenings and many times had the entire screen to myself. It was glorious.

I despise folk at the cinema. Noisy scum who look at their bright, bright phones and too often have stinking food. There should be a Dr Evil style load of buttons for cinema screens whereby a cinema employee can press one if a person is noisy and/or looks at their phone. The button would correspond to the seat of said dickhead of course and they'be be tipped back in to a pit of fire.

I took a sicky Friday when T2 Trainspotting came out on opening day.

Munchies aplenty in the old rucksack and a cheeky beer for the first late morning showing at Vue, barely 10 people there. Was fucking brilliant.

072 -- Lightyear. I had low expectations for this following Toy Story 4 but after a very ropey start where none of the jokes were landing that well, they introduced a robot cat and everything got better. It's visually stunning but light on emotion, and a little repetitive and I'm not sure I go along with the conceit that this was the movie -- a movie whose central premise features time dilation -- that Andy loved so much, or that Buzz comes across as all that heroic. I laughed out loud several times, mostly at the cat, but I just wish it had done more to have an equivalent of the toys about to go into the incinerator. 7/10

073 -- Swiss Army Man (#36 in the A24 series) According to Mrs MSU, I've seen this already. Well, I guess I was drunk or asleep or both because I don't think this is a movie you can forget you've seen. Paul Dano's character is stranded on a deserted island and about to kill himself when a corpse (Daniel Radcliffe) washes up on the shore. The corpse seems to possess strange abilities, isn't quite fully dead, and might just be Hank's ticket back to civilization. I can totally understand why some people would hate this, but I loved it. I thought it was warm, heart-felt, beautiful once you get over all the farting, with a soundtrack that's absolutely designed to get you in the feels and it was funny. I had a smile on my stupid face all the way through. Even a telegraphed finale wasn't enough to spoil it for me, thanks in part to Mary Elizabeth Winstead. 9/10

10 minutes ago, MSU said:

072 -- Lightyear. I had low expectations for this following Toy Story 4 but after a very ropey start where none of the jokes were landing that well, they introduced a robot cat and everything got better. It's visually stunning but light on emotion, and a little repetitive and I'm not sure I go along with the conceit that this was the movie -- a movie whose central premise features time dilation -- that Andy loved so much, or that Buzz comes across as all that heroic. I laughed out loud several times, mostly at the cat, but I just wish it had done more to have an equivalent of the toys about to go into the incinerator. 7/10

Went to see this with the nieces this morning.

It was entertaining enough, though it definitely took me a bit to get used to Buzz not sounding like Buzz. Inclined to agree with your 7/10

43 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It was entertaining enough, though it definitely took me a bit to get used to Buzz not sounding like Buzz

Yeah, that was totally weird. Definitely didn't help the laborious start when you're sitting there thinking, well this is wrong.