What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I think this is one of three Wayne movies (other two being Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo) which all share pretty much the same set-up - I need to double check but either all three movies have a besieged jailhouse set-up and/or have the trio of protagonists sharing the same characteristics......
thinking about this further (and forgive the faux pas of quoting self), was there not a scene in a Tarantino movie where this was highlighted and discussed? Maybe Jackie Brown??
Can't remember about Jackie Brown but I did see a review saying El Dorado was really similar to Rio Bravo (which I haven't seen). Same director.

On 15/05/2022 at 07:52, KingRocketman II said:

I think this is one of three Wayne movies (other two being Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo) which all share pretty much the same set-up - I need to double check but either all three movies have a besieged jailhouse set-up and/or have the trio of protagonists sharing the same characteristics......

John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 was also a remake of Rio Bravo, with a bit of Night of the Living Dead thrown in.

It also gave birth to this. Which was nice.

Charlie Wilson's War

Excellent cast. Moderately interesting.

Seemed to be an attempt to land a message about US foreign policy with the sort of American equivalents of our poppy shaggers, by giving them a good old Uncle Sam story and dropping in a bit of criticism at the end. 

I hope it succeeded at that, because as a film it was pretty poor. Philip Seymour Hoffman's screentime was generally enjoyable. But mostly it was a mish mash of tone shifts and unfinished parts of stories. 

5/10

Gave Ghostbusters Afterlife a watch yesterday and enjoyed it.

It was amusing the scene were those daft youths pretty much wreck the town trying to catch Muncher the evil version of Slimer though.

I would say I did not find Gozer or the terror dogs as terrifying as the 1984 versions of them.

Surprised they never kept Gozer with the evil red eyes though.

Terror dog Vinz Clortho remains as comical and amusing as the original though when he goes on the rampage through the Walmart demolishing everything and his quizzical reaction to the car tyre hissing as it bursts as well.

Shame Grooberson never got a "Nice doggy have a milk bone" comment away though.

Been laid up with the COVID for the last week so it's been a slog through some movies in the hours I've been awake.

053 -- Slow West (#22 in A24 series) Minus credits, this Western tale of one boy's ill-judged attempt to exit the friend zone clocks in at under 80 minutes. Michael Fassbender plays Silas, an Irish bounty hunter who forces his services on to Jay, Kodi Smit-McPhee, a young Scottish gentleman who has travelled to the New World to track down, Rose, the love of his life, who fled the motherland with her father after an "unfortunate incident". It's a quirky wee tale that's simultaneously ludicrous and comedic and somehow feels like an accurate representation of life in the infancy of a country. Directed and written with an incredible atmosphere by John Maclean who built on this success by doing absolutely nothing. An unexpected hit. 9/10

054 -- Amy (#23 in A24 series) Documentary on the life and death of Amy Winehouse. She never stood a chance. 10/10

055 -- The End of the Tour (#24 in the A24 series) Rolling Stone journalist David Lipsky, Jesse Eisenberg, follows around and interviews Jason Segel's David Foster Wallace on the final days of his Infinite Jest book tour. Not a whole lot happens over 100 minutes or so as the journalist tries to build up a picture of the author and the author tries to conceal his demons from the journalist. There seems to be quite a bit of jealousy from Lipsky, a fellow writer, who holds Foster Wallace as a genius, while Foster Wallace does his best to reject those assertions along with his fame and success. I like Segel and Eisenberg so this two-hander was right up my street, but it still wasn't nearly enough to make me want to crack open Infinite Jest. 8/10

Been to see quite a lot this year most of it middle of the ground stuff, Belfast aside.

However last night went to see:

Everything Everywhere All at Once

It's absolutely fucking mental, like seriously whoever came up with the plot and story line needs help. That said it's an incredibly enjoyable ride that is made for the big screen, sit back and let them take you wherever the story goes and you'll be in for a great ride.

Don't know how long it will be in the cinemas for but it's seriously worth a watch as it won't be as good at home. A 9/10 you won't ever see a film like this again.

Who Dares Wins

Corny, flag waving thriller starring Lewis Collins as a SAS officer who infiltrates a militant terrorist group. 

This just plays out like an extended episode of The Professionals. 

It's a shite film, but is very entertaining shite. I've seen it at least 20 times but I'll watch it every time that it's on and I'll never get tired of it.

7/10

056 -- Dark Places (#25 in A24 series) This adaptation of a Gillian Flynn novel lives up to its source material insofar as it's pretty mediocre and not as good as Gone Girl. Charlize Theron plays Libby Day, who as a child survived a murder spree at her home that killed her mother and sisters and for which, thanks to her testimony, her brother went to jail. Down on her luck and struggling for money, Libby gets involved in a group of amateur sleuths who believe her brother is innocent. Once you remember that Flynn doesn't really write sympathetic characters it's a reasonable thriller despite not being very thrilling. Unremarkable. 6/10

057 -- Petite Maman. A fantastic in every sense of the word French movie about a little girl whose maternal grandmother dies, and she and her mum go to empty her house which is in the middle of an autumnal wood. The mother describes her childhood there and how she built a fort in the woods. Later, after the mother goes awol, the wee girl goes for a walk in the woods and finds another wee lassie building a fort. Just a wonderful story, beautifully acted, that deals with its theme of grief and generational trauma in a profoundly subtle and sublime way. My favourite movie of the year so far. 10/10

058 -- Mississippi Grind (#26 in A24 series) Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds star in this (for all intents and purposes) two-hander about a downtrodden gambler (Mendelsohn) who believes he meets his lucky charm (Reynolds) and the two head to New Orleans for a big poker tournament or something, bumping along from wins and losses towards a payday. The performances are more than decent but the story is dull, the characters flat, and there's very little to recommend or suggest that any aspect of it will linger long in the mind. 5/10

059 -- Room (#27 in A24 series) In keeping with Dark Places, this is another one where the movie lives up to the book, except in this case, I loved the book. Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay are both outstanding as a young woman and her son, the latter of whom at five has only ever known the inside of a 10x10 room. Not a movie I'm often in the mood to watch but when I do it gets me in the feels every time. 10/10

Tonight: Revenge of the Sith. Then I can finally be done with the prequels. 

I know they have their defenders, but re-watching these has made me realise how utterly dreadful a film maker Lucas had become. The dialogue is just woeful ("Younglings" ffs). The characters have no depth. The stories are convoluted and boring. The effects are good enough but man, I am looking forward to having this latest re-watch done. After this, my youngest will have seen all movies. 

I know they have their defenders, but re-watching these has made me realise how utterly dreadful a film maker Lucas had become. The dialogue is just woeful ("Younglings" ffs). The characters have no depth. The stories are convoluted and boring. The effects are good enough but man, I am looking forward to having this latest re-watch done. After this, my youngest will have seen all movies. 
It's probably the best of Episodes 1 to 3 - certainly better than the turd that is AotC.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It's probably the best of Episodes 1 to 3 - certainly better than the turd that is AotC.

Hayden Christiansen screaming "I hate you" was his only bit of believable acting

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hayden Christiansen screaming "I hate you" was his only bit of believable acting

Comedy acting, I assume you mean.

10 hours ago, MSU said:

058 -- Mississippi Grind (#26 in A24 series) Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds star in this (for all intents and purposes) two-hander about a downtrodden gambler (Mendelsohn) who believes he meets his lucky charm (Reynolds) and the two head to New Orleans for a big poker tournament or something, bumping along from wins and losses towards a payday. The performances are more than decent but the story is dull, the characters flat, and there's very little to recommend or suggest that any aspect of it will linger long in the mind. 5/10

This is basically a poor reworking of Robert Altman's California Split from 1974 -- one of my favourite films starring George Segal and my number 1 actor of the 70's Elliott Gould. Give that a shot if you can get a hold of it.

Revenge of the Sith. 

By some margin the best of the prequel movies. Better action, better pace. The last hour or so dragged a bit as it felt like a bit of a tick box exercise in getting everything in place for A New Hope.