What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Venom: Let There Be Carnage

A fun, enjoyable film that was 1 hr 40 m long (much better than some of the other Marvel/DC movies that go on for aeons).

The only real issue I had was with one piece of casting. The baddie was apparently a teenager in 1996, and was an adult in 2021. So someone in their late 30s is what was needed, maybe early 40s at a push.  Who did they cast? Woody Harrelson in a dodgy wig.

giphy.gif

Death on the Nile - infamous Belgian murderer Hercule Poirot gets away with it again, this time on board a steamer in Egypt.

After a dynamic opening, the gradual introduction of characters gets a little dull (as others have mentioned), but once we get into the swing of murder and Poirot doing his intense thing, that's easily forgiven. I've a feeling that American audiences might appreciate the cast slightly more, as it's hard to get over the feeling you're watching a French & Saunders sketch at times, and the sight of Russell Brand might be a tad distracting, although I have to admit that I didn't recognise him at first and he's actually not too bad in quite an underplayed role. Other than that, there's some sprightly scenery consumption and outrageous accent work, but Gal Gadot is once again the least expressive thing on screen by some distance, and that includes the CGI scenery, which I didn't find as distracting as some - they can get away with that stuff a lot better these days, I think.

I enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's first shot at Poirot far more than I was expecting, so my expectations were higher this time; it's slightly disappointing, but an enjoyable watch nonetheless. No hints dropped about another film in the series this time, but I could happily watch more of these, so fingers crossed.

I watched Neds (2010) directed by Peter Mullan after seeing it was the latest review on the A View from the Terrace network

Really didn't enjoy it, very bleak, didn't think the dialogue was great, the acting from the main Ned Lad was pretty poor, especially the scene where he runs into the Irish ladies house saying he's going to get stabbed, the ending was a bit odd as well with the walking through the field of lions. 

I don't know if i just expected more from Peter Mullans name being attached to it but yeah, just an overly dark movie 

2 hours ago, ConcernedReferee said:

I watched Neds (2010) directed by Peter Mullan after seeing it was the latest review on the A View from the Terrace network

Really didn't enjoy it, very bleak, didn't think the dialogue was great, the acting from the main Ned Lad was pretty poor, especially the scene where he runs into the Irish ladies house saying he's going to get stabbed, the ending was a bit odd as well with the walking through the field of lions. 

I don't know if i just expected more from Peter Mullans name being attached to it but yeah, just an overly dark movie 

Generous review. Thought Neds was absolute pish.

010 -- Sundown. Had been really looking forward to this from the trailers. Tim Roth appears to be on a luxurious holiday with his family in Acapulco when a death back home sends the others back, but he fakes losing his passport so has to stay on but moves into a fleapit hotel in a nastier part of town, sits on the beach drinking Dos Equis all day, starts shagging the bird from the bodega, and generally ignores all the calls for him to go home. It guards its cards so tightly to its chest for such a long time that the explanation of what's going on was always going to come as a disappointment, and it did. Remarkably short these days at under 90 minutes and a pretty great central performance from Roth, but a bit of a damp squib at the end. 4/10

011 -- Uncharted. I haven't been arsed with PlayStation games for years, but even I've played Uncharted, so it made me wonder why this was being released now. Turns out it's been in development hell for 15 years, David O Russell was lined up to direct at one point, and Mark Wahlberg was initially supposed to be the lead but got too old and was relegated to supporting actor in favour of Tom Holland (who has also been signed up for five years). It's an adequate movie for a Saturday night with a couple of thrilling sequences, but you've seen it done before and you've seen it done better before. Nothing makes much sense, people constantly run and jump about and try to explain their take on the plot so far, and who'da thunk that 16th century Spanish sailors would be so adept at building enormous traps and puzzle rooms to hide clues to their gold? 5/10

Edited by MSU

Shoot The Pianist - A French new film that is equal parts crime caper and drama with some racy scenes for a 1960 film. Charles Aznavour plays it straight as a depressed piano player with a mysterious background.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - A black and white Iranian vampire neo western. The classic story of boy meets hot indie vampire girl and falls in love. I watched it over two days so it wasn't exactly gripping but it was very good and looked incredible.

Crash - David Cronenberg's adaptation of JG Ballard's novel about people who get sexually aroused by car crashes. Very much in the bracket of No Chance This Gets Made Nowadays. The cast is excellent with James Spader, Holly Hunter, Elias Koteas, Rosanna Arquette and Deborah Kara Unger all shagging each other in creatively fucked up ways.

Blow Up - Michelangelo Antonioni's mystery movie about a photographer who's camera sees more than he expects. Very unsettling and menacing in an understated way. 

I saw this about my man Schrader today.

On 17/02/2022 at 20:39, BFTD said:

Death on the Nile - infamous Belgian murderer Hercule Poirot gets away with it again, this time on board a steamer in Egypt.

After a dynamic opening, the gradual introduction of characters gets a little dull (as others have mentioned), but once we get into the swing of murder and Poirot doing his intense thing, that's easily forgiven. I've a feeling that American audiences might appreciate the cast slightly more, as it's hard to get over the feeling you're watching a French & Saunders sketch at times, and the sight of Russell Brand might be a tad distracting, although I have to admit that I didn't recognise him at first and he's actually not too bad in quite an underplayed role. Other than that, there's some sprightly scenery consumption and outrageous accent work, but Gal Gadot is once again the least expressive thing on screen by some distance, and that includes the CGI scenery, which I didn't find as distracting as some - they can get away with that stuff a lot better these days, I think.

I enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's first shot at Poirot far more than I was expecting, so my expectations were higher this time; it's slightly disappointing, but an enjoyable watch nonetheless. No hints dropped about another film in the series this time, but I could happily watch more of these, so fingers crossed.

They seemed to be going only for the well-known ones that have previously been adapted as glitzy movies. Logic would dictate Evil Under the Sun comes next - they’d probably do as the old movie did and relocate the action/mystery from an English island resort to somewhere exotic. Murder in Mesopotamia would provide a good location but might not be well known enough. However, I suspect we’ve seen the last of Branagh’s Poirot.

On 17/02/2022 at 10:23, scottsdad said:

Venom: Let There Be Carnage

A fun, enjoyable film that was 1 hr 40 m long (much better than some of the other Marvel/DC movies that go on for aeons).

The only real issue I had was with one piece of casting. The baddie was apparently a teenager in 1996, and was an adult in 2021. So someone in their late 30s is what was needed, maybe early 40s at a push.  Who did they cast? Woody Harrelson in a dodgy wig.

giphy.gif

Never watch Grease 

18 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Uncharted was ok. Might just have been the novelty of seeing a film in 4dx for the first time though.

One of the henchman's running jokes of being funny just because he was very Scottish was very cringe though.

He also had a dreadful Scottish accent

32. Primary Colours (1998)* - BBC iPlayer

Plays its satire pretty straight to the extent that I sometimes wasn't sure what was comedic and what was authentic which made for a fun way to use the absurdity of satire. Some of this might actually carry into the editing (but maybe I'm being too kind) as scenes often ended abruptly for comedic purposes but then others seemingly for no purpose at all. I wonder if that was a choice to use a common tool of comedy throughout to make you wonder what you were supposed to be laughing at but I could be looking into it too much, and tbh it didn't flow too well with characters sometimes leaving the film a bit suddenly and the structure resembled a bit of a sketch show. 

33. Mass (2022)* - Sky Cinema

Didn't expect to like this as much as I did. The trailers looked a bit too OTT but I was purely interested in it pretty much being a chamber piece. In fact, I kinda regret seeing the trailer as the first 15-25 minutes built curiosity terrifically with an almost comedic, farcical introduction into a grim story. It's almost diversionary, helped by an endearing performance that bookends the film, while still establishing that something is very much afoot. Once things get going, it's all just very well done - reserved but effective cinematography and editing, genuine performances, the script gives each character their own wee time to shine. Good stuff. 

34. The Souvenir (2019)* - BBC iPlayer & 35. The Souvenir Part II: The Sultryverse of Sadness (2022)* - Torrent

Don't judge for the torrent; blame the storm(s) and my laziness. 

Might as well lump the two together as they're very much two parts of the one story. 

Really cool way to depict a relationship and the perspective of a protagonist, leaving things v open and fragmented while still giving the viewer enough to make their own conclusions. Then that comes full circle in the sequel which completely connects us to Julie as she goes on her emotional journey. It was almost overwhelming trying to piece things together but there was no other way to tell this story and it's successful in doing so. Big fan of the soundtracks too. 

However, I need to mark Part II down as I spent the whole film waiting on a Guy Pearce variant to show up to tease the Memento/Souvenir multiversal crossover, although I didn't watch to the end of the credits. 

36. Shallow Grave (1995)* - Film4

I thought I saw my friend's street in the opening but he said it wasn't.

Suppose it was pretty decent other than that though. Looked good, somewhat enjoyable plot, bit too edgy for me.

22 hours ago, Detournement said:

Blue Velvet. Still a masterpiece.

Just been watching The Lost Footage which I'd never seen before and going to rewatch Lost Highway as it's the 25th anniversay and is another Lynch classic

Edited by JustOneCornetto

On 20/02/2022 at 18:57, Detournement said:

Crash - David Cronenberg's adaptation of JG Ballard's novel about people who get sexually aroused by car crashes. Very much in the bracket of No Chance This Gets Made Nowadays. The cast is excellent with James Spader, Holly Hunter, Elias Koteas, Rosanna Arquette and Deborah Kara Unger all shagging each other in creatively fucked up ways.

It was very much in the "no chance this gets made" bracket at the time, as I recall. Banned by councils and had the Tories back on full video nasty mode.

On 21/02/2022 at 14:18, Antlion said:

They seemed to be going only for the well-known ones that have previously been adapted as glitzy movies. Logic would dictate Evil Under the Sun comes next - they’d probably do as the old movie did and relocate the action/mystery from an English island resort to somewhere exotic. Murder in Mesopotamia would provide a good location but might not be well known enough. However, I suspect we’ve seen the last of Branagh’s Poirot.

Yeah, you might be right. Someone seems to have decided that it was going to be massive because MOTOE made about half a billion, but it looks as though DOTN will only make a modest profit on its much-larger budget. Pity.

On 21/02/2022 at 19:39, UpInTheAyr said:

Binged the Hellraiser series the past week. First and second are great, third is okay, Bloodline is watchable, Inferno was pretty good coming from Scott Derrick son. Rest are shit.

My son loves Hellraiser, so we keep trying to work through them all. We've only got as far as Bloodline; I can't remember anything about that film at all, which is always a good sign, and there's precious little incentive to continue when you hear about how bad the others are!